DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It's humorous reading the responses to Frank's tweet.  A mix bag of empathy and go away responses, then out of nowhere CM Punk gives his appreciation.  Couple posts down Dewey chimes in.  Twitter is a weirdly magnificent place sometimes.

EDIT:  His Twitter picture is him and Punk so that makes sense.

Not to draw attention away from such a controversy, but since my first wrestling post was well-received, i decided to post a link to my new one: Who killed WCW, part 1. Maybe not new info, but i promise it's not nearly as douchey and self-righteous as the vast majority of those who have written on this topic...http://sb.gg/AyDI

I didn't kill WCW but I definitely enabled WCW by watching the shows, buying merch and ordering PPV's.

If I had known how much damage it would do to itself and others in its final, desperate last few years then I would have stopped.

I just wish someone had sat WCW down and said "hey, WCW, everything's going to be okay".

At least we got that super-fun Scott Steiner title run and Chavo/Helms feud before you pulled the plug, buddy. 

Also, I am probably in the minority on this one, but Lex Luger at the end of his run there was great. Actually, Luger's whole run from 1995 to the bitter end was pretty under-the-radar as a run. Even as he started to have worse matches, he dialed up the character and did what he could to stooge for his opponents in the best ways. 

At least we got that super-fun Scott Steiner title run and Chavo/Helms feud before you pulled the plug, buddy. 

Also, I am probably in the minority on this one, but Lex Luger at the end of his run there was great. Actually, Luger's whole run from 1995 to the bitter end was pretty under-the-radar as a run. Even as he started to have worse matches, he dialed up the character and did what he could to stooge for his opponents in the best ways. 

I loved when Flair joined up with Luger as Team Package. One of my favorite moments from the dying days of WCW was Flair giving this ridiculous interview where he said something like, "I'm a 16 time world champion, father of 4 beautiful children, traveled all over the world but the greatest thing I've ever done is be a part of Team Package! Wooooo! 4% body fat on that guy! Look at him! Woooooooooooo!"

• Like 6

I hated Totally Buff (Luger/Bagwell) with a passion, but by that point, the booking was so awful I probably would have found the Midnight Express unwatchable.

They would've been called Beautifully Sweet by that time.

• Like 1

I bought The Power Of The Freight Train and The Best Friends With Teddy Hart DVDs from the Highspots table at Wrestlecon just got around to watching them. The Freight Doc was really good I enjoyed it alot. Freight Train actually signed my DVD for me, he mispelled my name he spelt it "Wed" instead of Web. That made it all the better. The Teddy DVD was really fun. Teddy is a headcase and I mean that in the best possible way. There are some crazy stories on there. Are there any other Best Friends DVD's worth checking out. I also bought Battle Of Los Angeles 2014 Night 3, yet to watch it though. 

Web Conn, why only night 3 of BOLA?

All three nights would have been 45 bucks and I don't know I had already spent an ungodly amount of money at Wrestlecon. I don't have a reason I just bought night three.

Oh understandable, I was just curious. I would've gone with night 2 myself since it has a fun ACH/Kenny Omega match and the debut of the Meltzer Driver. But all 3 are enjoyable. 3 has that fun 10 man tag that nothing to do with anything just something for those guys to have fun with.

My one complaint is the ending of the AJ/Roddy match. Other than that its a fun night

I agree that 2000-2001 WCW had some bright spots. Team Package was incredible, as was the Magnificent Seven. Lance Storm and "Above Average" Mike Sanders and the Natural Born Thrillers were the future. If they brought in Corino and RVD, as rumored, and just outlasted ECW by a couple of months, things might've been different. Imagine Christian York and Joey Mercury in that CW tag division? I mean, I'm sure Hogan & co would have shat on it in due time, but there is a lot of fun stuff we probably missed out on.

On a somewhat related note, I've retired Elegant Elliot Offen from my signture-- long live mental hospital strutting Flair.

• Like 1