DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

June rasslin shows in my area:

Friday 6/5:  Ring Of Honor in Collinsville, IL
Saturday 6/6:  Metro Pro Wrestling in Kansas City, KS (feeling ambitious so I may bum a ride across Missouri for this)
Sunday 6/7:  Outlaw Wrestling in Centralia, IL (may check this one out)
Saturday 6/13:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO; Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
Friday 6/19:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Glen Carbon, IL
Saturday 6/20:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL
Friday 6/26:  World League Wrestling in Troy, MO
Saturday 6/27:  World Powerhouse Wrestling in Hartford, IL
Sunday 6/28:  High Risk Wrestling in Cahokia, IL

So I recently moved house and I was out for a walk  on Saturday when I got caught in a rain shower - so I decided to stop in the bar that's about 2 minutes walk from my house for a quick beer.

There was a karaoke session on in the bar and as I was going to the washroom - I noticed the guy who was running it - it was Sweet Daddy Siki. I knew he had been running karaoke gigs all over the city but I thought he had stopped. 

Sat and spoke with him about wrestling for a few minutes after the karaoke session was over. That was pretty cool. 

How he looks today

3hBE_SweetDaddySiki_1018_Content.jpg

• Like 8

So are we living in a 'post-workrate, character-driven, effective matches over good matches' world or what?

Naw cause we still think Becky vs. Sasha was better than Cena vs. Owens.

Well, now I'm confused. 

Well Becky vs. Sasha, was a more psychological based match than Cena and Owens. 

And it's funny that folks get butt-hurt if someone might admire Cena as an overall worker more than their indy hero.  Why isn't it possible to like both?

I guess from a character persepctive you could say that Becky Lynch is the least developed character of the four people we are talking about.  From the other perspective, her promos leading up to Unstoppable really upped that game lending a history to her journey.  I would say Banks-Lynch straddled the line of being  "Good" and "Effective" work which is where you want to be really with a solid narrative story behind the work.

So are we living in a 'post-workrate, character-driven, effective matches over good matches' world or what?

I'd like to think of it more like people are realizing there is more to "good matches" than guys trying to spam every move they ever saw in Fire Pro Wrestling in a 15 minute match. Just so they can 2.9 kickout of it and do their next move.

• Like 2

I am very much at the "People can like what they like, but it helps to try to understand why other people like different things, and also to try to understand and admit your preferences and biases." 

The problem here comes in comparison and discussion. 

And of course there's the line and the line is Davey Richards.

• Like 5

I am very much at the "People can like what they like, but it helps to try to understand why other people like different things, and also to try to understand and admit your preferences and biases." 

The problem here comes in comparison and discussion. 

And of course there's the line and the line is Davey Richards.

Well put.

Why the hell hasn't Heyman jumped on The Blacklist and tweaked himself to be more like James Spader?

I recommend the DVD that's taken from. One of the best ever WWE profile DVD's. Just wish the famous post WrestleMania XXX RAW promo was included on both DVD and Blu-ray. Might well be Heyman's finest promo.

I know the issues that people had with Cena/Owens, like the "my turn/your turn" move-trading at the end, but I don't think that criticism works for this match. The big move trading felt like the climactic scene of a prize-fight in a movie where two boxers are not even bothering to defend themselves and are just throwing haymakers. For this match, where the old guard, the unbeatable Superman was struggling to defend against new blood, the violent, lives-to-fight Doomsday, them throwing bombs at each other back and forth out of weariness until someone finally stayed down made perfect sense.

Lynch/Banks was totally different. That match was Sasha trying to show her old friend that she was better than her at her own game by destroying the arm, but then Lynch fought out of the limb attack and did her own limb attack until two half-crippled wrestlers were just trying to survive long enough to capitalize on a mistake made because of the arm injuries that they inflicted upon one another. 

They are both great matches that tried to achieve some of the same goals (make Lynch and Owens look like stars), but they did so in different ways. 

On another note, I would pay extra on top of my WWE Network fee to see Lesnar/Owens. 

I know the issues that people had with Cena/Owens, like the "my turn/your turn" move-trading at the end, but I don't think that criticism works for this match. The big move trading felt like the climactic scene of a prize-fight in a movie where two boxers are not even bothering to defend themselves and are just throwing haymakers. For this match, where the old guard, the unbeatable Superman was struggling to defend against new blood, the violent, lives-to-fight Doomsday, them throwing bombs at each other back and forth out of weariness until someone finally stayed down made perfect sense.

You make good points, but I personally feel they went a tad overboard into Kurt Angle-y self-indulgence. Take out Owens's AA and and that top rope side slam thing he did (I dunno what it's called) and I would have liked the match more. I still liked the match a lot, though.

"Fantastic" Tommy Rogers passes away

Monday, 01 June 2015 12:09

By Dave Meltzer

Thomas Couch, best known as Tommy Rogers from the 80s and 80s tag team of The Fantastics, passed away this morning in Honolulu, where he has been living since 2006.

Couch, who just turned 54, had been having legal troubles in recent years stemming from fighting.  He was to be sentenced tomorrow over a fight with police officers and feared a long prison stay. 

At this moment, the cause of circumstances of his death are pending.  There was no note left, and according to one of his best friends, he had been in good spirits in recent days.  He was found at about 3 a.m. by his roommate in a chair in front of a computer, gurgling.  The roommate called 911, but he was unable to be revived.

Tommy Rogers always finished high in lists of the most underrated pro wrestler of the 80s and 90s.  He was small, but was as solid a worker as there was in wrestling, with a great physique.  He and tag team partner Bobby Fulton were best known for their matches with The Midnight Express and The Sheepherders that were among the best matches of the late 80s.  

The team held the UWF and World Class world tag team titles as well as the NWA U.S. tag team titles. 

Awful news. They made my '88/'89 NWA viewing so much fun. They actually made the Sheepherders/Bushwhackers interesting to me, which is something like a miracle.

Time to fire up the Fantastics/Midnights classics that are some of my favorite tag team matches ever.