DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

Max Scherzer had himself a fine little day

Complete game, 1 hit shutout.

16 Ks which is most in Nats (2nd most in franchise ie: Expos) history

MLB really needs to fix how it count histories. In a perfect world, this would happen:

- The Washington Senators (both incarnations) would have their histories counted with the Nationals

- The Twins and Rangers would be treated as entirely new teams at the time they relocated. 

The Twins and Rangers adopted new identities when they left Washington, as did the Nats when they left Montreal, so they should not be able to keep the history. The same with the Orioles and the St. Louis Browns history. If you change your name, the history goes back to the city and you lose it. 

• Like 1

That leads to problems since every team had like fifty different names before 1920.

That's why the city has the history first and foremost. There's no reason for the Minnesota Twins or Texas Rangers to be able claim Washington baseball history. I mean, there's also no reason for Atlanta to have Milwaukee or Boston baseball history but they at least have the continuity of having the same name. 

MLB really needs to fix how it count histories. In a perfect world, this would happen:

- The Washington Senators (both incarnations) would have their histories counted with the Nationals

- The Twins and Rangers would be treated as entirely new teams at the time they relocated.

The Twins and Rangers adopted new identities when they left Washington, as did the Nats when they left Montreal, so they should not be able to keep the history. The same with the Orioles and the St. Louis Browns history. If you change your name, the history goes back to the city and you lose it.

With no disrespect, that's the worst idea.

I hate the NFL pretending the Ravens were an expansion team and the new Browns having a completely different franchise's team records. Just fucking hate it.

The Nats are the same franchise they were in Montreal, period.

• Like 2

Transferring histories also leads to interesting situations where the Winnipeg Jets have no retired numbers and the Phoenix Coyotes have retired numbers for Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk and Thomas Steen for their time with.....the Winnipeg Jets.

Transferring histories also leads to interesting situations where the Winnipeg Jets have no retired numbers and the Phoenix Coyotes have retired numbers for Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk and Thomas Steen for their time with.....the Winnipeg Jets.

Yeah, the cities should keep the histories first and foremost. The Ravens SHOULD be treated as an expansion team because no one in Baltimore is going to give two craps about the Browns history so let Cleveland's team honor it and claim it. I have a friend from Baltimore who would give the Ravens the Baltimore Colts's history but I wouldn't quite go that far. 

But do you know what makes the history of franchises like the Sox, Yankees and Tigers special? The collective memory of the fanbase. When you talk about Ted Williams, Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth to the fans in those cities, there's a sense of pride because they actually played for that team in that city. No one in Washington gives two craps if someone passes a franchise record set in Montreal but people in New York cared when Derek Jeter set the franchise record for hits.

EDIT - It doesn't matter to me on a personal level. My favorite team has been in the same city since 1901, maybe fans of relocated franchises have a different view. 

Max Scherzer had himself a fine little day

Complete game, 1 hit shutout.

16 Ks which is most in Nats (2nd most in franchise ie: Expos) history

Max wound up with a game score of 100- 12th highest among pitchers in MLB history. Yes, statistically rarer than a perfect game.

Omar Infante is now in the lead, so there are 8 Royals at the tops of All-Star Game voting.

Also, Bud Black just got fired by the Padres.