DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Summer 2015

Jiji

Anyone going to check out the U21 European Championship, starting tomorrow? It serves as an Olympics qualifier for 2016 aswell.

Group A
Czech Republic (hosts) - Denmark
Serbia - Germany

Group B
Italy - Sweden

England - Portugal

The semi-finalists will advance to the 2016 Summer Olympics. Should England make it to the final four, the two third placed teams in the respective groups will square off in a tie breaker for the fourth spot. Reason for this is the UK having a unified Olympic team which would mean the four respective F.A.s would have to nominate a team representing the UK. This didn´t happen and there we are.

Jesse vowed to take the USOC seriously, and he proved it by playing the strongest team he could Tuesday as Metro beat Atlanta 3-0.

City played the Cosmos in front of a packed Shuhart Stadium (11,500), took a 2-0 lead, then gave up a goal in the 60th minute and the equalizer in the 90th to send the game into extra time. They got a penalty 10 minutes In but the guy who took it skied it and the game went to penalties, where the Cosmos won 4-3 to advance. Just an amazing game.

U21 first matchday done.

The Danes beat the hosts Czech Republic coming back from a 0-1 half-time deficit by 2-1. Good start for the Danish team got even better when Germany and Serbia drew 1-1 in the evening game. It was a tough affair, the Serbs were strong on the breaks, but only rarely got through and Germany with a lot of possession without creating much. A great Emré Can goal equalized the tremendous solo run from Djuricic. Later in the second half, the German fullback Günter got sent off for being an idiot (diving, okay) after getting his second yellow.
Next matchday will see Germany vs Denmark and the Serbs vs Czech Republic.

Sweden scored somewhat of an upset by beating U21 EC-record holders Italy 2-1 after being down to ten men between the 28th and 80th minute. Good heart by the Scandinavians, although their second goal came from an apparently debatable pk.
In the second game of the evening, England played Portugal. After a decent but goalless first half with a few good opportunities for England of shots from outside the box, the game got a little more dull in the second half. Portugal broke the deadlock around the hour-mark, and the Three Young Lions lost their track up until the last ten minutes when Pritchard came on and they got around to creating chances, but nothing big enough to really threaten Portugal´s lead. England will face of Sweden on Sunday, Portugal play Italy. 

Metro vs Cosmos on July 1st in USOC it is then! Game will be at RBA, whomever wins gets to play quarters and semis at home. So basically we have a golden path to the finals.

Dempsey got three games for ripping up the ref's notebook. Kinda surprised, the minimum punishment for assault (which includes "Destroying or damaging the referee's equipment") is six games. Eligible for the Gold Cup, let's see what Klinsi does.

In what I consider a moderate surprise and a frightening event, the Czech U21 is stomping a mudhole in Serbia, beating them 4-0 with about 15 minutes to go. And I considered drawing the traditionally strong Serbs a good opening result for the German squad. Germany plays Denmark, who beat the Czechs 2-1 in their opening game, later on and even though I know football doesn´t work that way, I´m somewhat worried for our chances of at least making the semis and advancing to Rio 2016. I guess all the talk beforehand was typical German sports media arrogance, pointing out how strong the U21 was while totally ignoring the strengths of the other squads.

EDIT: After a shaky first 15 minutes and one or two decent Danish chances, Germany took over the match. First they seemed to stabilize at the back, then passing got better and better. After quite a few "almost perfect" combinations, a well worked Volland goal broke the deathlock. The German U21 followed with a few more chances up until the half-time whistle, but couldn´t double the lead. After the break however, the team seemed to have learnt some lessons from watching the first Danish game (Denmark turned a 0-1 half-time deficit into a 2-1 win) and pushed on straight away. Two goals in quick succession decided the match: Volland scored a second from a wonderful free-kick, Ginter made it 3-0 with a nice header that was set up perfectly by Younes, who had a great day. The last half-hour of the match I watched parallel to the Women´s World Cup, so it was hard following, the match. Denmark had a few nice chances for a consolation goal, and Germany could have probably gotten a fourth or fifth here and there, but ultimately I´d say 3-0 is a just result.

Germany and the Czech Republic have a chance to advance on their own merits, but they are playing each iother in their last group game. A point would be enough for the Germans, Czechs need a win. If Serbia and Denmark draw or Serbia beats Denmark by 6 goals or less, a draw would suffice for both, Germans and Czechs, to advance. If Denmark wins, the Czechs would need a win against Germany. It will be an interesting final matchday to say the least.

Tomorrow will see England playing Sweden and Portugal vs Itally. A win for Sweden and Portugal would mean both teams advance. I hope to catch at least one of the games, preferably Sweden vs England.

Last year Bradley Wright Phillips tied a league record for goals in a season. Tonight vs Vancouver he sets a new record: first player in league history to miss two penalties in the same game in a 2-1 loss. For worst home loss in team regular season history this ranks up there with any of them. And we are now level on wins and points with the blue team.

Last year Bradley Wright Phillips tied a league record for goals in a season. Tonight vs Vancouver he sets a new record: first player in league history to miss two penalties in the same game in a 2-1 loss. For worst home loss in team regular season history this ranks up there with any of them. And we are now level on wins and points with the blue team.

Happy Father's Day, Wrighty

Very late goal gets England´s U21 the win over Sweden, who stopped doing anything on offense for the second half. Shame for the Tre Kronor, who should have at least taken a point today. Depending on Portugal´s result today, both teams might be in need of a win in their last group game.

Guest Edwin

Mandzukic to Juve!  And looks like Tevez is heading back to Boca Juniors.  Llorente is probably on his way out also.  Hopefully the Oscar deal with Chelsea goes through soon also

Losing Tevez to get Mandzukic is a downgrade. I like Mario, but the dude is a headache.

Atletico lost Mandzucki, but are most likely getting Jackson Martinez from Porto as a replacement. Upgrade.

Parma AC have been declared bankrupt by the Italian courts and will be busted down to Serie D (amateur league), starting from scratch for all intents and purposes.

2 weeks to go until meaningful European games start, at least for English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh teams in Europe. Celtic face Stjarnan, who knocked out Motherwell in Europa League qualifiers last year

Champions League:

(Enters at first round)

The New Saints (Wales) vs B36 Torshavn (Faroe Islands)

Crusaders (Northern Ireland) vs Levadia Talinn (Estonia)

(Enters 2nd Round)

Glasgow Celtic (Scotland) vs FC Stjarnan (Iceland)

Dundalk (Ireland) vs BATE Borisov (Belarus)

(Enters Playoff Stage (4th round))

Manchester United vs ???

Enters Group Stage

Chelsea

Manchester City

Arsenal

Europa League

Enters 1st Qualifying Round

West Ham (England) vs FC Lusitans (Andorra)

Newtown (Wales) vs FC Valetta (Malta)

Glenavon (Northern Ireland) vs Shakhtyor Soligorsk (Belarus)

Linfield (Northern Ireland) vs NSI Runavik (Faroe Islands)

Glentoran (Northern Ireland) vs MSK Zilina (Slovakia)

Shamrock Rovers (Ireland) vs Progres Niederkorn (Luxemborg)

Cork City (Ireland) vs KR Reykjavik (Iceland)

UC Dublin (Ireland) v F91 Dudelange (Luxemborg.. the Dudelange abides!)

St Patrick's Athletic (Ireland) vs Skonto FC (Latvia)

Bala Town (Wales) vs FC Differdange 03 (Luxemborg)

AUK Broughton (Wales) vs Lokomitva Zagreb (Croatia)

Aberdeen (Scotland) vs KF Shkendija (Macedonia)

St Johnstone (Scotland) vs Alashkert FC (Armenia)

(enters 2nd round qualifying)

Inverness Caley Thistle (Scotland) vs Astra Girgliu (Romania)

(Enters 3rd round qualifying)

Southampton (v ???)

(Enters Group Stage)

Liverpool

Tottenham

And my hands hurt typing that all out, and my spell checker has gone on strike.

Denmark wins U21 EURO´s group A thanks to a 2-0 over Serbia, Germany runner up with a very shaky 1-1 draw against the host nation Czech Republic, not looking all that convincing, but getting the job done. Both teams secure their spots for Rio 2016. This marks the first time for a German team to parttake in the Men´s Olympic Football tournament since 1988.

Already there is a problem on the horizon: Eight out of the 23 nominees for the EURO are going to be too old once the Rio-tourney comes around, Olympic rules only allow 3 players over 23 years, though.
Czech Republic takes third place of the group, which would only help in any way should England win tomorrow and therefore advance to the semis. Both groups third place will face each other for the Olympic consolation price.

In Group B, all the remaining teams battle for a semi final spot tomorrow. I typed a lot about this already, but I will definetly let you guys know how it all played out.

Yeah, das a lot of cash. Better spent on him than Benteke though. I don't know if that's their intended "striker" because he's better playing off somebody like Sturridge than leading the line from what I've seen of him.

Lots of talk of Illaramendi coming to Anfield as well. Would be very nice because he's like a lesser Xabi Alonso. Similar appearance, style of play, both came through with Sociedad. Those two and Clyne along with the free transfers have the making for a nice summer.