DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Summer 2015

Jiji

Guest Edwin

Russian Premier League champions Zenit St. Petersburg pose for a swank period photograph:

CGPW1RGWwAAXCuE.jpg

Witsel rocks that look.

Where is Hulk?

Napoli is looking at Unai Emery as a replacement for Rafa Benítez -- lol good luck with that.

Madrid is rumoredly offered PSG 40mil for Italian Marco Verratti.

Guest Edwin

Hopefully we can actually get back to what has actually happened on the pitch as the great cup matches from the weekend were ignored.

I really don´t think there will be that much of a difference with Blatter gone. It will look like a fresh start in the public and the sponsors´ eyes, so I guess this is what counts. Than again, I´m in a really bad mood and having one of those "I HATE THIS DAMNED GAME!" days...

Relegational play offs - Bundesliga vs 2. Bundesliga

Karlsruhe - Hamburg 1:2 a.e.t (1:1) - first leg 1:1

Hamburg dictated the pace for this one, but somehow couldn´t really create any big chances. Then Karlsruhe scored with 12 minutes left, and HSV came back swinging, having a - roughly - five minute spell with some good chances. Then it all died down for another five minutes, up until the ref saw a handball and gave away a good freekick. I´m not finding a clip of said situation, but here is a picture:

Fussball-Karlsruher-SC-Hamburger-SV-Rele

1. shot is coming from a very short distance

2. arm is in front of the body

3. no active hand movement towards the ball

In the referee´s defense, it looked a lot more like a possible handball in real time. Diaz scored for Hamburg with a tremdendous freekick in the 90+1. minute.
However, the extra time was back and forth, with Hamburg ultimately scoring to prevent penalty kicks aswell as relegation with a well worked goal by Nicolai Mueller.

Relegational Playoff - 2. Bundesliga vs 3. Liga

Munich 1860 - Holstein Kiel 2:1 (0:1) - first leg 0:0

Munich got a good start, but right after their first shot, they seemingly collapsed right away. Kiel took over with slow, but tenacious playing style and attacked Bayern´s city rivals of older days time and time again deep into their own half.
An early goal for the Northern Germans got disallowed for offside, a call that seemed off for me and for a buddy with football refereeing experience I consulted with when I described how the goal came along. It didn´t make much of a difference, as Kiel took the 1:0 lead from a corner shortly after that. The Bavarians didnt get any chances until very late in the game. After several diving attempts, the ball somehow made the way into the box and Kiel´s defenders stopped playing, which resulted into an equalizer. Right after that, 1860 went on the attack, leading to a few chances on both sides. It took another stoppage time goal to end the lower league team´s dreams and to prevent disaster for their opposition: After a horrible clearance (into the center and right in front of the box), a shot from outside the box hit the post, and the rebound was put in for the last minute winner. It will be a long 900 km bus ride home for our team from Kiel.

Thrilling relegational play offs, but with the worst possible outcomes imo.

Okay, that´s it from me signing out. Going to puke now. This fucking game...

• Like 2

Well I'm kind of glad, I didn't want to see the Dinosaurs get relegated!  But I understand it's exciting for you there when teams go up and down more.

And Wow I can't believe 1860 is in the 2nd division relegation zone,  Glad to hear they didn't get sent down myself. I haven't followed them that closely though, but I always liked their crest and kits.  I guess that's what happens when you grow up near a Lowenbrau plant.

Lowenbrau.jpgTSV-1860-II.png

There was an article in the guardian today about which teams have never been relegated from the top flight.

If you combine both eras of english football, arsenal has the longest streak, going back to 1902-03.

From a daily beast article:

Greg Dyke, head of the English Football Association and one of Blatter’s most outspoken critics, said he was delighted by the change of heart. 

“At long last we can sort out FIFA. We can go back to looking at those two World Cups. If I were Qatar right now I wouldn’t be feeling very comfortable.”

To add some South American football to this, Boca Juniors in Argentina, Cruzerio, Flamengo, Santos, and Sao Paolo in Brazil, Penarol and Nacional in Uruguay, and Colo-Colo in Chile are all clubs that have never been relagated. I'm sure many here remember that RIver Plate dropped in Argentina a few years ago and it was a national sporting scandal, pretty sure they were on the list until then.

Well I'm kind of glad, I didn't want to see the Dinosaurs get relegated!  But I understand it's exciting for you there when teams go up and down more.

And Wow I can't believe 1860 is in the 2nd division relegation zone,  Glad to hear they didn't get sent down myself. I haven't followed them that closely though, but I always liked their crest and kits.  I guess that's what happens when you grow up near a Lowenbrau plant.

Lowenbrau.jpgTSV-1860-II.png

Totally getting your sentiments regarding both clubs to an extent aswell. HSV - even if it´s an Arsenal-Tottenham kind of deal for me - is a staple in German football and their downfall is cringeworthy to watch. It is good to an extent they are still part of the Bundesliga. However, the way the players handled their win on Monday was disgusting and beyond the usual emotions and the way they stayed in was thanks to a wrong call in the end. That´s what irks me a lot. The club is long overdue some sheiky treatment.

1860 actually did go into the season with a ton of ambitions. They got a Jordanian investor somewhere in 2011, tried to get Sven-Göran Eriksson as a coach and at the beginning of the season proclaimed they wanted to win the 2. Bundesliga championship and many experts think they were the team to beat this season. They needed 34 players, lots of favoring calls and luck in the final stretch of the season plus a game as described above to stay in. I hope they handled their "escape from relegation" better than HSV did, but I have to admit I switched off my TV right away after the final whistle, too much frustration.

Guest Edwin

Keylor Navas doesn't want another season like the previous and could be on his way out. Specially if they sign David De Gea as his stars and playing minutes would be much less. Iker Casillas isn't going anywhere for the moment. They would be in a similar situation like they were last season with Iker, Keylor and Diego Lopez if they do get to sign De Gea now.

So, The BPL announced that after the Barclays sponsorship contract runs out after next season, they're going to try running the 16/17 Season with no name sponsorship, being just The Premier League.  

So, The BPL announced that after the Barclays sponsorship contract runs out after next season, they're going to try running the 16/17 Season with no name sponsorship, being just The Premier League.

Translation: No one's offered enough money.

• Like 2