DVDVR Message Board

WWE Elimination Chamber

Phil Schneider

Two of my buddies who have the network but are not hardcore fans have been gushing about Owens. Both sent me texts saying how awesome they think he is.

Over

Owens

Over

If he gets two straight on Cena he's beyond a made man.

After the Kevin Owens vs. John Cena result, it got me thinking about Cena's clean losses particularly singles matches:

vs. Shawn Michaels. RAW 2007.

vs. Triple H. Night of Champions 2008.

vs. Batista. SummerSlam 2008.

vs. The Rock. WrestleMania XXVIII.

vs. Daniel Bryan. SummerSlam 2013.

vs. Brock Lesnar. SummerSlam 2014.

vs. Kevin Owens. Elimination Chamber 2015.

There's two impromtu matches Cena lost after just wrestling, vs. Edge at New Year's Revolution 2006 with the Money in the Bank cash-in and Batista at Elimination Chamber 2010.

CM Punk at Money in the Bank 2011 has Vince McMahon and John Laurinaitis asking the timekeeper to ring the bell while Punk was in the STF. Cena stopped Johnny doing this and walked into the match winning G2S.

He also lost to Triple H clean on the RAW before the Orton Iron Man match PPV. Also, I remember him dropping a couple of clean losses to Big Show in the first couple of months in '09. Didn't Tensai beat him clean or was that just Punk? He did get pinned clean by Ryback in the regular match of the 2 out of 3 falls match they had, IIRC.

Khali beat him clean on SNME too, didn't he?

So it was basically a test balloon for Ambrose down the road. I can live with that.

There are two kinds of Dusty Finishes. The kind where the face does something stupid to warrant a delayed DQ and the kind where the heel finds a way to cause a DQ and sneak out. I have a less of a problem with B than A, especially given Rollins' character, which is a weasel who will do anything to save his precious title.

The problem wasn't that the finish existed back in the day, the problem was that it was done to death.

Yeah, although it would be a bit annoying if the ref isn't subsequently implied to have been coerced in any way, because why would the ref go out of his way to angrily argue for the guy who deliberately injured him to lose by DQ instead of actually losing his title - you'd be like well fuck you buddy and get yourself stretchered to the back

Could live with Owens either winning by cheating or doing an annoying DQ/walkout finish in the second match to get over that he's a jerk and a cheat as well as a badass. Visions of Cena being all like "MAKE SURE YOU POWERBOMB THE BACK OF MY NECK DIRECTLY ONTO THE POINTY BIT OF THE APRON KID" but VInce's soul would probably exit his body if he entertained the idea of that spot for a single second

Did Tensai beat Cena clean or was that just over-strong-but-with-shenanigans?

The WWE really needs someone spitting mist right now. I don't really even care who.

Maybe that could be a thing that separates Demon Bálor from Finn. The Demon spits mist.

Yeah but that seems too obvious. Let's get ridiculous with it, I want Zack Ryder spraying mist.

The WWE really needs someone spitting mist right now. I don't really even care who.

Maybe that could be a thing that separates Demon Bálor from Finn. The Demon spits mist.

Yeah but that seems too obvious. Let's get ridiculous with it, I want Zack Ryder spraying mist.

Spraying Axe body spray?

• Like 2

Since several of you have mentioned how Maffew is drooling over the IC Elimination Chamber match to pick it apart on Botchamania, here's what he said about it on Facebook. 

Not since Orton & Edge vs. HBK & HHH at New Year's Revolution has a match fallen apart like last night's IC Title Elimination Chamber.

So King Barrett throws Dolph Ziggler into Mark Henry's UNBREAKABLE PEXIGLASS THAT THEY USE IN ARMOURED VEHICLES MIGGLE causing it to fall off, leaving Henry to stand there with his thumb up his arse before deciding to join the match as JBL asks out loud if this is legal before getting shouted at via headset.

It became obvious Henry had jumped his cue as the match fell apart so badly that Ziggler had to resort to shouting orders at everyone like Sgt. Hartman to get something resembling a match together.

Oh and then Sheamus' door stuck. This was all this match needed, because it was a planned spot that managed to look like a fuck-up because everybody was doing very convincing impressions of people who had no idea what was going on. It looked like Sheamus blocked the lock with his necklace to get the advantage (which makes sense, let everyone kill each other and then get what's left) but when he pulled the necklace out, all we got from the commentators said was JBL going ''Oh he fixed it!''

Not even they knew what was happening. Or maybe Sheamus saw what was happening outside and went ''er my door doesn't work. Aye that's it.''

I feel bad putting Dolph's spot-calling in Botchamania because at least somebody was trying to fix the match. Unlike Mark Henry who stood there watching Barrett & Ziggler wrestle right in front of him and broke up a pin-fall attempt in an elimination match just because he was looking for something to do.

Oh and R-Truth pinned King Barrett.

It's the current favourite for Most Botched Match Of The Year and God help us if anything beats it.

and accompanying photo

11207366_1004531016224618_60080260243556

First and second times seemed like exaggerated pull outs (...yeah, grow up) for the announcers or whoever to emphasize his cheating. Which was all for naught since it got no mention during and after the match. Which shows you the state of the announce crew's ad-libability. You mean to tell me not one of them could've spotted that and pointed it out? For fucks sake, say SOMETHING you idiots.

Spraying Axe body spray?

The fact that neither Ryder nor the Bro Mans ever did that shows that creative didn't "get" the characters.

Spraying Axe body spray?

The fact that neither Ryder nor the Bro Mans ever did that shows that creative didn't "get" the characters.

They need to watch some Michael Nakazawa matches.

I guess I just hate how John Cena has gone full Kurt Angle lately, but I really thought the Owens match is being terribly overrated. They did some fun stuff in the match, and Owens looked great, but I think Owens kicking out of the AA was so unbelievably dumb (although everyone kicks out of it nowadays, so I guess that's the problem).

It kind of goes back to the talk Austin/Heyman had last night about protecting moves, but I would have rather seen Cena trying to hit Owens with the AA but he keeps using his crafty well-honed indy skillz to slip out before Cena can hit it, because Owens knows if Cena does hit it, the match is over. 

I think that can be much more suspenseful for a match than the constant "hit finisher/one-two-thre.....oh my he kicked out!!!" because at this point, the AA is basically the Angle Slam. He needs to hit it at least twice before anyone possibly stays down for a three count.

No more ridiculous than Punk using it on Rey.

Umaga pinned Cena on Raw in 2006, but I can't remember if it was clean.

I just watched the Cena-Owens match again (it came on after my son's bedtime last week) and wanted to see if maybe I was missing something. That match was amazing and Cena put Owens over huge. The next night in the promo, he put him over huge again. I'm seeing people on Twitter and a few guys here trying to bury Cena for Sunday/Monday. What the fuck. He's been the top guy for like 10 years and completely put this dude over two nights in a row. I don't know what else Cena is supposed to do.

I guess I just hate how John Cena has gone full Kurt Angle lately, but I really thought the Owens match is being terribly overrated. They did some fun stuff in the match, and Owens looked great, but I think Owens kicking out of the AA was so unbelievably dumb (although everyone kicks out of it nowadays, so I guess that's the problem).

No, every mid carder in WWE kicking out of the AA during the US open challenge was unbelievably dumb. It's got to the point if you don't kick out of the first one it makes you look weak. This was a match that actually fit with the Kurt Angle tribute style being a champion vs champion inter promotional match so I can overlook the 2.9 overkill for the most part.

I still think the pop up power bomb should've been protected. I don't care if was hit early when Cena kicked out Owens has plenty enough offense to pad out a match without needing to hit his finish early on. I guess that's just Cena's big match style though.

Goldberg speared Jericho through the polycarbonate of a pod, cracking it in twain as well (Summerslam 2003). Was that the last time that this happened before this last event? Was it mentioned that the construction was upgraded after that? At any rate, there is precedent that the pods are not unbreakable.

- RAF

Is it even possible for Cena to be rationally/reasonably discussed any more?  Is there any middle ground between "John Cena is the second coming of Jesus Christ" and "I hate little kids with cancer, the troops, and Jesus"?