DVDVR Message Board

Raw 8-12-13 - Summerslam Go-Home Show

MGFanJay

HHH interjecting himself into other peoples storylines is what the WWE has been about for the last fifteen years, so now that Bryan is getting that treatment we know he has finally made it

I only saw the last hour and a half or so of the show, but there was enough there for me to enjoy it to some degree.  Mainly enjoyed Cesaro being Cesaro, Henry being Henry and Cena delivering a great promo

I find it odd that Orton cashing in is being so strongly teased. Almost makes me think that they may avoid an angle, have Bryan win clean, get the handshake and hug from HHH putting him over and then maybe do something the next night.

I'm just glad that Inoki got referenced on WWE television, no matter how indirectly. Kudos to Bryan for working this in.

Or am I wrong about it being an Inoki reference?

Nope, pretty sure Inoki imbuing guys with his "fighting spirit" via bitchslap is what he was referring to.

Oh, I also forgot to mention the Wyatt-Kane Inferno Match. Last week, I called that their promos were clearly indicating an Inferno Match but couldn't reconcile how that would fit in with PG WWE. Well, we got our answer. They're gonna wrestle in a ring surrounded by fire to keep outside interference out but absolutely positively under no circumstance is anybody gonna be burned*

*So sayeth Michael Cole, who added that last part in a tone not unlike a teacher warning her students to hush up during a nature film

I don't follow the UFC very much, but didn't Brock have to retire (and I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things) due to having a really weak stomach due to injuries? It seems like that would be the type of thing to play up soon to make it more believable that non-Cena/HHH types could beat him. It would make Punk's kicks seem dangerous.

HHH did this in the first Brock match at last year's SummerSlam.

I was in the camp who liked that match. Re: Johnny Law, Brock Lesnar left the UFC after twice having diverticulitis. 

Really would prefer Triple H not to be in the John Cena/Daniel Bryan WWE Championship match but still looking forward to it.

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar has had a great build. I'm also looking forward to that match.

I'm just glad that Inoki got referenced on WWE television, no matter how indirectly. Kudos to Bryan for working this in.

Or am I wrong about it being an Inoki reference?

Nope, pretty sure Inoki imbuing guys with his "fighting spirit" via bitchslap is what he was referring to.

Okay, cool. I didn't know if that was Inoki's thing, or if it was a Japanese thing that Inoki made his thing.

I find it odd that Orton cashing in is being so strongly teased. Almost makes me think that they may avoid an angle, have Bryan win clean, get the handshake and hug from HHH putting him over and then maybe do something the next night.

Handshake and Hug? Is that what they're calling the Pedigree now?

• Like 1

ADR gave it about 15% tonight & looked like shit. Just completely did not give a fuck.

I thought ADR had the best match on the show.  Everything he did looked nasty and vicious, the top-rope reverse superplex.  Blame Kofi.  He couldn't even jump high enough to nail his big flying clothesline, and seemed to mistime his boom legdrop.

ADR gave it about 15% tonight & looked like shit. Just completely did not give a fuck.

I thought ADR had the best match on the show.  Everything he did looked nasty and vicious, the top-rope reverse superplex.  Blame Kofi.  He couldn't even jump high enough to nail his big flying clothesline, and seemed to mistime his boom legdrop.

Do you think Kofi made up for it on the Battle Royal? He had a helluva spot with Swagger and Cesaro.

I'm so glad WWE added Triple H as guest ref for Cena-Bryan. I was getting so excited for that match that I was actually considering shelling out the money to order the PPV. Triple H's addition assures that I will be more than content watching a decent-to-shitty stream online.

Bizarre.

Yeah, I must be nuts. Can't wait for the post-SS RAW fallout. It's going to be about something that HHH screwed up in the match. Now Bryan, the guy he defended this whole time will question his allegiance. Will there be a live performance review? A VOTE OF CONFIDENCE FROM THE BOARD?! 

It's going to be a great event and a great match either way, seems bizarre that Triple H being the special ref rather than Triple H doing an unadvertised run in would be the deciding factor in whether to order it or not.

Don't you usually have to make the decision to order before finding out that there is an unadvertised run-in?

Right but my point is that refusing to order it because Triple H is the ref when shenanigans of some sort have been promised for three weeks or so is bizarre.

Do you think Kofi made up for it on the Battle Royal? He had a helluva spot with Swagger and Cesaro.

Sure, I'll give him that.  Maybe he was so busy going over the physics of what he had planned in his head that he forgot to jump high.  Also, this reminds me of my favourite exchange during the ADR-Kofi match when Cole said something about Kingston being a good man and JBL asking why and Cole mumbling something about him jumping high.

JBL was amazing tonight.  I actually cracked up when him and Lawler were commiserating about the botched ending to the Nattie-AJ deal and Cole said "The most important thing is Natalya won" and JBL added "Twice!"

JBL was amazing tonight.  I actually cracked up when him and Lawler were commiserating about the botched ending to the Nattie-AJ deal and Cole said "The most important thing is Natalya won" and JBL added "Twice!"

On Fandango:  "If you get elminated twice does that mean you're not even invited to Summerslam?"

I'm so glad WWE added Triple H as guest ref for Cena-Bryan. I was getting so excited for that match that I was actually considering shelling out the money to order the PPV. Triple H's addition assures that I will be more than content watching a decent-to-shitty stream online.

Bizarre.

Yeah, I must be nuts. Can't wait for the post-SS RAW fallout. It's going to be about something that HHH screwed up in the match. Now Bryan, the guy he defended this whole time will question his allegiance. Will there be a live performance review? A VOTE OF CONFIDENCE FROM THE BOARD?! 

It's going to be a great event and a great match either way, seems bizarre that Triple H being the special ref rather than Triple H doing an unadvertised run in would be the deciding factor in whether to order it or not.

Don't you usually have to make the decision to order before finding out that there is an unadvertised run-in?

Right but my point is that refusing to order it because Triple H is the ref when shenanigans of some sort have been promised for three weeks or so is bizarre.

Maybe Fallacy! just really hates HHH and would have been okay with Brad Maddox being the referee.

Maybe instead of the return of Wargames, Battleground will be return of the Thunderdome, with John Cena as Ric Flair, Daniel Bryan as Sting, HHH as Terry Funk, and Randy Orton as the Great Muta,  Also featuring Vince MacMahon as Ole Anderson, Stephanie MacMahon as Gary Hart.  I'm not sure who will play Bruno Sammartino.

Absolutely loved Cena's promo, thought it was one of his very best. Great stuff and a highlight of the night. I wish Orton had a match at SummerSlam rather than just the overly strong tease of the cash-in. Usos/Real Americans was another real fun match, loved the finishing kick. Triple H being added makes it feel a lot like Cena/Punk at Summerslam 2011. Summerslam looks like a pretty good card overall, wish RVD/Ambrose was on the main show but I guess they need a good preshow match too.

I've said it before, but when John Cena drops the jokes and goes serious, he's the best promo guy in the business by a HUGE margin.  Nice to see the guy that made The Rock his bitch show up again, even at D-Bry's expense.

God, those two main event matches...  Fuck, this ppv is going to be awesome.

*So sayeth Michael Cole, who added that last part in a tone not unlike a teacher warning her students to hush up during a nature film

Was it a nature film about what would happen if a mega earth quake struck California?

Nope, I think you're getting it confused with this film (No wonder Cesaro came out wearing a cape!):

Maybe instead of the return of Wargames, Battleground will be return of the Thunderdome, with John Cena as Ric Flair, Daniel Bryan as Sting, HHH as Terry Funk, and Randy Orton as the Great Muta,  Also featuring Vince MacMahon as Ole Anderson, Stephanie MacMahon as Gary Hart.  I'm not sure who will play Bruno Sammartino.

I can live with Triple H being the referee if this somehow leads to a Wargames/whatever match at this Battleground PPV. Bruno can play himself because he's Bruno. It's still going to be dumb though if we see some sort of screw job with Bryan getting F'ed over. I read somewhere that the "plan" is for Triple H to turn heel soon to go up against a face Vince for control of the company. This of course is part of the crazy Austin vs. Triple H at WM 30 plan that's been floated around, but Austin keeps on saying EH EH.

The show was very weird from a pacing standpoint once again. Some parts were good, others were horrible. Daniel Bryan is so over right now, I really fear they will either have him win only to lose to Orton two minutes later or we'll see the above mentioned Triple H screwjob.

That mixed tag with Trish and Jackie is no longer the worst botch in RAW history. Man that was like WTF when watching it. I rewinded the DVR after the break and still couldn't figure out what happened. Maybe it was something for the Diva's show just to give Nattie an interesting scene. She finally gets a big win and the referee fucks it up.

Vince's suit was awesome. The older he gets, the wackier his color patterns will be. Soon he will give Don Cherry a run for his money with suit patterns.

The Shield promo was great. I loved the ghost of Andre line. I thought for sure that meant Big Show was in the battle royal and winning it. It's a shame Ambrose/RVD is on the pre-show. That should be a good match. But alas, I guess they thought Nikki Bella vs. Natalya was more important for the main show.

The Bryan/Cena segment was great. Miz sucks though. They should have gotten Piper to do a Piper's Pit. I think Cena gets legit annoyed when people don't call him a real wrestler. By the end of the interview, he really looked pissed off. Bryan got in so many good burns on him. He just has to win.

Punk/Brock was fun. I think Punk knocked Brock senseless with the camera for reals. Heyman with that OH MY GAWD when he saw Punk was just grand.That is going to be such a fun brawl.

Next week could be a fun show for a number of reasons depending on how Bryan/Cena ends.

I think the most likely scenario is Bryan losing clean, but if Bryan wins, I think we might get a weird combo of the Montreal finish and the Bret/Austin finish. Cena looks as though he is passed out and HHH calls for the bell. The next night on Raw Cena talks about how he has never tapped out etc. It's unclear whether Hunter screwed him intentionally or not. Somehow Kevin Nash gets involved. Bryan defends the title against Ryback on the PPV pre show. 

I'm having a tough time believing that Punk is a suitable rival for Brock and that he can beat him.  I know he probably will but looking at it from a casual standpoint, Brock is leagues ahead of him.  

Punk shouldn't win. There's nothing to gain from it.

ADR - Kofi started out suspect but warmed up as the match went along.  That reverse superplex spot should've been a fucking finisher. 

As much as I want to blame Kofi, I think that maybe Del Rio should've saved that spot as a post match dealie that got him DQed.  It's not like he really needs a win going into the PPV and I think yoiu send the "HE IS VICIOUS~!" message more effectively by having Del Rio try to cripple a guy rather than trying to score pinfalls or submissions.

Put the belts on the Usos already so they can have a monster tag title feud with the RA's.

Brock cut an impressive promo.  I think he knows that the tone of his voice doesn't really project any malice so his matter of fact statements and his stone cold gaze spoke volumes.  Brock needs to go over on Sunday.  It is the right thing to do.

I was a bit puzzled why JBL went with the Missing Link / Dark Journey reference for Khali and Natalya instead of the George Steele / Miss Elizabeth one.  Too soon, maybe?

Y'know what I was thinking after that really great promo where Cena brought the intensity and invoked Make-A-Wish, just the thing to drive his fans wild, and Bryan brought the intensity and invoked Japanese wrestling, just the thing to drive HIS fans wild, and Cena slapped Bryan and Bryan refused to slap Cena back and that sleepy Sacramento crowd had finally been woken up and was going nuts?

I was thinking "I hope HHH comes out. That's what this needs."

• Like 14

I tend to echo much of what has been said here, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for the commentary during the Orton vs. Sandow match. Rhodes asking Jerry how he would feel if Jerry were in his shoes and Jackie Fargo pushed him off the ladder was awesome. This Raw was full of many little touches that applied of veneer of the writing staff giving a crap about history, like Cena saying "Benoit" under his breath when going down the list of wrestlers he's faced.

And I tried to make it through the full three hours and fell asleep multiple times. They have got to cut this show back to two hours.

• Like 1