DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

Again - this thread will probably be for just me and Slotman.

God I really wish the wayback links worked for the thread from 4 years ago where we all LOST OUR GOD DAMN MINDS!

Anyway - as a reminder it's in Canada and in shitty shitty artificial turf stadiums

First game - June 6 (Canada vs. China)

First US game - June 8 (vs. Australia)

First England game (against France no less) - June 9

I am in for whatever matches I can watch around my insane work schedule. Just like in the Boxing thread I am by no means a soccer aficionado, and would like to learn more about the game parlaying watching the World Cup into loving soccer in general.

Looking forward to watching this again and hopefully the USA wins Gold instead of Silver like last time.

After this week, i expect to see the US eliminated by a dodgy penalty call.

Oh Yeah ever game will be the USA vs. their opponent/the refs no doubt.

Again - this thread will probably be for just me and Slotman.

God I really wish the wayback links worked for the thread from 4 years ago where we all LOST OUR GOD DAMN MINDS!

Anyway - as a reminder it's in Canada and in shitty shitty artificial turf stadiums

First game - June 6 (Canada vs. China)

First US game - June 8 (vs. Australia)

First England game (against France no less) - June 9

Last World Cup was great and shows the competition gets a lot tighter with the time. I really expect things from France for some reason, but I´m really no expert by any means regarding female national squads in football. They just looked very good in every tournament I watchted them in so far, with the fact that only little things were missing for them to make it up until the very end of the competition. Germany gets talked up as one of the favourites over here, but our team, despite winning the EURO title in 2013, has lost much of their continentaö dominance and I have the impression the Women´s World Cup is not too far away from a point where you just can´t rely on being a heritage site anymore. Therefore I reckon both Ivory Coast and Norway will cause us quite some trouble in the group stages. Norway is a tradtionally tough opponent and always seem at their A-game against us. The African teams - and I know I´m using a stereotype here - are very often incredibly physical and this kind of counteracts the stregth of the German ladies. Anyway, here´s for a fun World Cup. :)

• Like 1

"THE US HAS PUNTED TO BRIAN WESTBROOK!" -Dean

I just remember someone (possibly Craig) after one of the wacky endings the US games had going "Now I know why you guys watch this!"

• Like 2

I thought that was the 2010 men's world cup. Isn't that when Cristobal asked for suggestions for an EPL team to follow, and many heartfelt posts were made about picking an underdog that plays fun style, and then he chose Man United? :)

Has anyone seen a Women's World Cup pick em game we can set up and play?

That quote wasn't mine, and in point of fact, I didn't ask for "suggestions". :P I asked people to tell me why following their team was so great, and everyone said "Oh no, don't follow mine," and when you were all considering whether I should support Wimbledon or Stockport, I said hell with it and joined the Authority.

If you think about it, it's all your fault.

• Like 2