DVDVR Message Board

The 2015 NBA Finals

Dolfan in NYC

Warriors are a great team especially in the regular season, and it's hard to compare teams from different eras, but that Lakers team just dominated the competition so they seem so much better than the next best team that year.  Plus the multiple championships probably colors people's perceptions too.

I don't think many are going to look at them as an all time great championship team.  Maybe if they win more than one they'll revise how they feel about this one in the future.   Fair or not(and might be more fair here since we're talking about ranking all time great championship teams instead of taking respect away from them for winning one), people are going hold some things against them.  The West wasn't as loaded as advertise with Durant/Westbrook injuries all season and Spurs slow start.  If the Warriors had gotten the opportunity to put a stake in one, or better yet both, of those teams' hearts(Thunder or Spurs) than I think they get a boost on their perception.

It doesn't matter what I think of them right now though.  They're the 2015 champs.

Warriors earned it. At first I wanted GS to win, but when Irving went down, that's when the Cavs became the underdog in my eyes. However when they went up 2-1, I saw the LeBron suckfest saying he would be the GOAT if he wins, and at that point I didn't give a shit about either team.

Oh, and I'll take what my Spurs did last year as the most impressive run than any Warriors, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics team has done EVAH.

• Like 1

Warriors never faced a healthy starting point guard in their playoff run.  Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley, Patrick Beverley, Kyrie Irving.  That is total luck.

They never got called for any of their bullshit moving screens that got their shooters open.  Draymond Green should've fouled out of every damn game with the amount of grabbing, hitting and shoving he did on a regular basis.  Draymond Green should've been hit with more technicals for mouthing off every time a ref dared to call a foul on him.  Bogut should've fouled out of every game.  Their smallball game worked only because the refs refused to call fouls on them when they went small.  It's easy to be All Defense when you're basically allowed to hack, shove and hit with impunity.

I have to stick up for the 2007-08 Celtics. They had a wonderful regular season and KG, Pierce and Allen still in the backside of their prime. Plus, they had several other guys making key contributions like James Posey, etc.  They did have a little trouble in the Eastern Conference playoffs but it's overblown.  They won a huge game in a great comeback on the road against the Lakers and then completely annihilated them in game 6.

I'm not going to say they are better than this Warriors team but they deserve consideration among title teams post-Jordan.

They're a weird case. Going 7 in both the first two rounds, and playing in the east, ding them a bit, but they did put the hammer down when they closed out Detroit and L.A.

They're a weird case. Going 7 in both the first two rounds, and playing in the east, ding them a bit, but they did put the hammer down when they closed out Detroit and L.A.

But you can say similar things about this GSW team. No "greatest team ever" should be down 2-1 in multiple rounds. 

I don't see how GSW beats the Kobe-Shaq Lakers. First of all, Shaq's presence automatically makes them the best post-Jordan team in the NBA. I can just picture him throwing Vlade Div... err, Andrew Bogut around like a rag doll for five or six games. Second of all, prime Kobe would be able to pretty well neutralize Steph Curry, IMO. 

It's so hard to determine where a bunch of teams stand, because a lot of good teams very clearly coast through the regular season. Is the Lakers sleepwalking their way to 56 wins before unleashing holy hell on the NBA playoffs more impressive than a good team working hard every night for 67 wins? 

Also, the defensive rules changed somewhere along the way. The hand-checking and illegal defense changes really turned the game on its ear. How would that affect the teams that played in an era when you could just mug anyone at all times?

Any 60-win team in the NBA is an absolute beast. A 67-win team is just monstrous. GSW had the most talented roster from top-to-bottom, put in an offensive system that utilized its talent infinitely better than the previous regime, added to an already great defensive scheme, and had some luck. But "luck" happens every season.

I don't think taking 2-1 deficits in playoff series is an indictment on GSW.

I think it's proof that LeBron James put on one of the greatest runs any athlete in team sports has ever put on, and carried a few teammates along with him. But GSW put Iggy in for Bogut and that slowed LBJ down enough. Iggy also got hot and ended up finals MVP. That was just a really wise coaching decision that Kerr and Co. put together matchup wise. Cleveland didn't have the depth to counter any chess moves and that was that.

I also think it's proof that Memphis is an absolute nightmare to play and it took a lot of luck (Conley in Game 1 and his lingering injuries) and a gigantic roll of the coaching dice (Bogut "guarding" Tony Allen, who was destroying GSW's gameplan) for GSW to figure that out.

I do think we missed out on a potentially epic GSW/San Antonio "mirror image" series and a friggin' war with the Clippers due to the crazy bad blood they have. And it also sucked that KD was hurt this season and we didn't get to see what OKC could have pulled off.

• Like 1

I do think we missed out on a potentially epic GSW/San Antonio "mirror image" series and a friggin' war with the Clippers due to the crazy bad blood they have. And it also sucked that KD was hurt this season and we didn't get to see what OKC could have pulled off.

Yeah I keep thinking that I wish OKC had made it. Then I remember they likely wouldn't have a new coach. Might have been just what they needed.

I think OKC being the 8 seed really changes the finals, oddly, as it either gives GS an adjustment period against a one man show or it gives the Cavs a little more footage of how they defend against Westbrook and the Pips and they potentially steal an additional game. It's crazy how much little things can change a basketball season and eventual champion. It truly is a war of attrition.

By SRS, they had the seventh best regular season ever. By ELO rating they had the second best regular season ever (behind the 72 win Bulls, obviously.). By record they were tied for the sixth best regular season ever.

Five thirty eight ranks their post season run (by a methodology that combines SRS of their opponents, scoring margin, and the location and leverage tasting of each game) the eighth best since 1984 (we don't have leverage information earlier than that.)

(FWIW, last year's Spurs are number one by that method, with the 95-96 Bulls and the 00-01 Lakers second and third.)

Finally, again using ELO but ranking both the regular and post season combined, they come out as the second best team of all time.

What happens in the regular season and all that ELO ratings stuff is dookie, it's all about da playoff run.  Had they thumped the Spurs or Clippers, and dominated the Cavs, then you might have something.

They thumped the team that best the Clippers though.

And, hey, even their playoff run was firmly in the "very good" category if not quite great.

I don't think Nate actually did the math/methodology fwiw.

LeBron's performance in these finals is being way overrated. He was just awful offensively and he was guarded 1-on-1 most of the time. He had less of an impact on Golden State's defense than Curry did on Cleveland's defense. Did he produce anything that a handful of the league's other elite guards/wings couldn't have done (aside from maybe rebounds?).

He was basically Allen Iverson vs. the 01 Lakers in this series, but nobody was sitting around hailing Iverson for playing an all-time great finals.