DVDVR Message Board

En Busca de un Idolo Thread

Hector

Assuming they don't do some weird math to make up for Flyer missing tonight, the final four is

• Boby Zavala
  • Guerrero Maya Jr.
  • Disturbio
  • Esfinge

It's hard to find a path to victory for Disturbio: he gets treated the worse in decisions, the other three have done better in the fan polls, and the judges seem sweeter on the other guys. I could see the final two being any combination of the other three. 

Way too fishy that Flyer was "too injured" to show up and CMLL now gets the final they wanted (aside from Delta not trying) thanks to a completely improbable situation. All Flyer had to do was show up and hobble through a match. He *had* to have known that when he woke up this morning. Just getting any points would have locked his spot in and forced Esfinge/Disturbio to fight it out. Instead they both move on and the opening match guy somehow loses out.

I'm not a conspriacy theory guy but this worked out way too well for CMLL. And this is not even going into Esfinge polling terribly for 6 straight weeks and then suddenly having the best poll score in a week where he needed it desperately to have any chance of moving on. Not buying any of this.

At this point I'm all but sure they want an Esfinge vs Boby Zavala final w/ Esfinge winning.

The trios match was very good, though slightly marred by having worthless Esfinge out there instead of Flyer. Worst part of the match for me was watching him look perplexed at the crowd when they failed to pop for his weak-ass fake out that we've all seen a million times. Boby and Disturbio killed it though. Those guys can do no wrong. Casas was the clear star of the match. His FIP segments add a lot to this. This is the kind of performance what pushes him into the WOTY conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations to Boby, I guess.  Match was fairly disappointing, but that's par the course for this year's tournament. It probably would've came off worse if the rest of the show wasn't so fun. Not sure why the controversial finish was needed, but hopefully they drop it there.

Boby won while being unable to do his finishing bridge pin because he messed up his shoulder earlier in the match & the referee thought it was a submission at first so he didn't count immediatly.

A fitting end to the tournament this year. Disaster all around.

To be fair the crowd really got into the match after Maya dove into the crowd. But it was far from anything special and easily the weakest final yet in the 4 years they've now run it.

They said it'd be back next year, hopefully with indy talent CMLL recruits instead of regular roster guys. Also, next week should be the annual 5 on 5 Torneo with Casas/Virus involved but Casas is still out & I'm not sure all 8 guys will even be available so they may just scrap it.