DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-25-15

MGFanJay

I was hoping Drama on Raw would be like "Let me talk to Cena, I get wrestlers. I did some guest shots on Thunder In Paradise. "

Don't get why Lana is the victim after a year of being the beast master. She is going to bomb badly on her own. Rusev is going to be fine.

Edit: Do not know why my text is blue.

• Like 1

So my question for the "Rusev should have beaten Cena" crowd is: And then what? He'd be US champ, so this notion that he'd be in some better spot than "midcard" is a bit odd. Do you shoehorn him into the Authority? Then what happens when Lesnar comes back? What are you doing with Cena?

Is anyone left wondering what the endgame is for the US Title Open Challenge? He's been through Sami Zayn, Owens this Sunday is non-title "champion vs champion"... what upcoming prospect is there left to debut and win the thing? Balor? Do we even think that's what's going to happen? I could see WWE being WWE and Cena dropping it to an already established name. This whole setup just seems to perfect for it not to end with Cena putting over a new superstar.

I think Rusev is going to be fine. Transitioning back to being from Bulgaria, I think that might give the gimmick a second life and let him continue on. You can only play off of Russia and the stigma attached to it for so long. At least with Rusev being the "Bulgarian Brute" again, it's more or less a generic foreign heel and not something specific like showing images of Putin and the Red Square. Rusev being a beast in the ring will win over the crowds sooner than later, I imagine. He's just way too entertaining for them to throw away now.

I'm intrigued with Lana, though - I don't know how they'll make her the "Female Face of WWE" in a non-wrestling role. Do you try to get her in the public eye, and risk it actually working - and she leaves for that world?

==

The New Day is now my favorite stable for giving a shoutout to Lil' B the BasedGod on Twitter and Kofi doing the cooking dance on RAW.

So my question for the "Rusev should have beaten Cena" crowd is: And then what? He'd be US champ, so this notion that he'd be in some better spot than "midcard" is a bit odd. Do you shoehorn him into the Authority? Then what happens when Lesnar comes back? What are you doing with Cena?

Monster Rusev vs. Brock Lesnar would have tore the house down.  There were a lot of things he could do.  Does anyone ever ask these questions about Randy Orton?  Did anyone ever ask these questions about Edge?  No, they were made guys. Rusev was well on his way.  He's more talented in-ring and arguably has more charisma and presence than anyone else they could move into that slot. A feud with Ziggler is a huge demotion.

Rusev isn't in the main event. But instead you now have:

1) Cena with the US Title. He has introduced Neville, Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens to the roster. They are starting to build new talent that way. Rusev couldn't do that.

1A) Cena is also, as a result, away from the main event. That gives Rollins and Ambrose and Reigns room to breath without Cena's presence overwhelming them.

2) They have some sort of solo plan for Lana. They are building her up as a woman who stands up for herself. She is super talented and really over. She has major potential to transcend the WWE. If she doesn't get that far, you can always pair them back up.

3) Ziggler is really over and good. They now have a program that will lead to really good matches. They aren't the main event but you still need a b-card. And it's also tied into the IC belt. Rusev's rants last night were great.

4) And I am also thinking that this whole thing ends with Lana siding with Rusev as some dastardly plot.

1) Why couldnt Rusev have done the open challenge always claiming there wasnt anyone in the USA who could beat him?

1a) agree with

Jericho, Angle, Mysterio, the guy whose name shan't be mentioned.... There's a lot of "floaters" or guys who move up to the main event periodically then shuffle back down to mid card feuds as needs be. I don't understand this theory that every new guy with potential needs to be a Rock/Austin level star or they're either a failure or they aren't getting pushed enough. There's nothing wrong with a career where you bounce between main events and the upper mid card.

Of course, I'm not sure Rusev is going to go even that far after his gimmick has been systematically stripped away from him...

Said it before and I will say it again, people REALLY need to back off the "They killed Rusev!" thing until this Ziggler feud plays out. He's involved in a story that is getting a lot of TV time, they clearly have not given up on him yet.

He's been given a lot more time to cut his own promos in front of the live crowd and he's delivered big time. That's clearly going to work in his favor and another reason I don't think they are going to just totally kill him off. They also don't give a shit about Ziggler so I expect him to win this feud in the end, even if he loses Lana.

And, I really LIKE the way that he went back to being Bulgarian dude after the split from Lana, why wouldn't he?

I don't understand this theory that every new guy with potential needs to be a Rock/Austin level star or they're either a failure or they aren't getting pushed enough.

I don't think anyone believes these guys need to be Austin or Rock.  The issues are that most of the midcard is not over and come WrestleMania time it's always the same guys going over. What's wrong with sustaining a push?

You just said less than an hour before this post that his next feud should've been with Lesnar, the guy who comes in rarely and at great cost to WWE, i.e. is basically the highest-profile and most pushed guy in the company when he's there. So not only are you saying you want him to feud with Lesnar, but you want to turn Lesnar face to do it.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the "top babyfaces" list isn't that deep right now. Rusev has just finished the feud with Cena, Ambrose and Reigns are feuding with the authority, and after them, Ziggler's pretty much the next guy on the list.

Lana's problem *might* be that they'll do the typical WWE thing when a heel gets popular. They turn them face and replace everything people liked about them with cornball shit.

They'll take the accent away, the name, the outfit, the attitude, etc in an effort to make her a "good girl."

So not only are you saying you want him to feud with Lesnar, but you want to turn Lesnar face to do it.

Lesnar is already a face. Plus, who else should be fighting Lesnar? Rollins?  Okay, I would be fine with that.  Do we need another match with Cena or Triple H or Undertaker?   nahhhh

Jesus fuck, this shit again? Fine. The self-serving sadistic beast incarnate with the slimeball heel manager who was "suspended" because he attacked announcers because he didn't get his way, (making sure to focus his wrath on the guy who wasn't a former wrestler) is a face. Just like Kevin Owens, father of the year, was a face. We're really conflating "guys smarks cheer for" with babyface now?

Okay, we'll pretend Lesnar's a face. And why exactly would we be putting the monster heel Rusev against a guy like ten times more badass than he is? It was the same problem Rusev had with Cena: Without them willing to make him look potentially stronger than him, he resorts to chickenshit heel tactics, in which case he's just a big foreign Seth Rollins who doesn't wear boots.

Congratulations. You have successfully proven that Stephanie and Rollins are heels.

The discussion boils down to you saying "they don't have to make everyone into Austin/Rock", but that your only alternate suggestion is to put him against Brock and make Brock a face (a role he is significantly less effective in) to do it, and to try to make this scenario less silly you're pretending he already is a face because Stephanie.

Where the fuck did I say that's the only thing they could do with Rusev? It's one example because whether you want to believe it or not when Brock returns he will be a face. Rusev could also battle Orton or he could have battled Roman Reigns who is the guy I would have had end his winning streak. There are a lot of things that he could be doing instead of whining on TV about losing Lana to a lifetime midcard dude who will never be more than that..