DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-25-15

MGFanJay

I was at Survivor Series 2011 at the peak of Ryder-Mania. He wasn't on the card but the fans were going absolutely gaga over him. Outside of the Rock, nobody could touch how ridiculously over Ryder was. Everywhere you looked people were chanting for him. The line to use the bathroom would invariably turn into some weird "Whoo Whoo" conga. It was surreal.

Ryder is not a once in a generation talent by any means, but when you have someone that over in your biggest market and you can't figure out how to make millions off of it, you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

That's part of why I tend to let things be nowadays.  I'm one fan with one opinion.  I like some stuff on dinky little indie shows that draw 30 people.  I don't care for some stuff on WWE events that fill big arenas.  Different strokes and all that.

Rusev's body language is way better than Lana's all over the place accent.

When I first heard the idea of making Lana American, I thought it was the worst idea for her ever. After the last couple of weeks, though, I'm starting to come around on it. She can't hold that fake accent at all during long promos or when she has to emote.

Also looks like Kevin Owens got some updated gear in preparation for his big match on Sunday. I kinda dug his DILLIGAF low-budget indy look, but I guess everyone needs some ring attire that "pops" on the big stage.

Also looks like Kevin Owens got some updated gear in preparation for his big match on Sunday. I kinda dug his DILLIGAF low-budget indy look, but I guess everyone needs some ring attire that "pops" on the big stage.

Dick's sports had a wicked Memorial Day sale this weekend.  KO cleaned up on basketball shorts.  

• Like 3

I hate thinking about "I'd rather they did this..." BUT...

This is how I would do the Ryder/Cena segment. It's essentially the same match they had, with Ryder having Cena on the ropes. Ryder hits his finisher (or the 450) and has Cena beat. One! Two! Thre---

Owens comes out of nowhere and pulls Ryder out of the ring right as the miracle was about to happen. He pummels him and does the apron powerbomb. Or, if not that, Cena chases him off right as he's about to end Ryder's career and gets to save his little buddy. But that would add to Owens' king dick status more than last night did.

I get why they didn't go with another route. I am going to assume that the Entourage tie-in contractually involved them doing something with Cena. Or they wanted to put any eyeballs caused by Entourage onto their biggest star, as well as this upstart who you can mostly see on NXT, which you can only get on the WWE Network, etc. But now you have a really crowded set for Owens to do something like that.

To go ahead and clear this up now, I am pretty sure Brawler won a battle royal earlier in the night to get that title shot.

Correct, more or less- he won a battle royale at the previous MSG show (dark match on a Raw taping Ray and I went to).

This is how I would do the Ryder/Cena segment. It's essentially the same match they had, with Ryder having Cena on the ropes. Ryder hits his finisher (or the 450) and has Cena beat. One! Two! Thre---

Owens comes out of nowhere and pulls Ryder out of the ring right as the miracle was about to happen. He pummels him and does the apron powerbomb. Or, if not that, Cena chases him off right as he's about to end Ryder's career and gets to save his little buddy. But that would add to Owens' king dick status more than last night did.

I get why they didn't go with another route. I am going to assume that the Entourage tie-in contractually involved them doing something with Cena. Or they wanted to put any eyeballs caused by Entourage onto their biggest star, as well as this upstart who you can mostly see on NXT, which you can only get on the WWE Network, etc. But now you have a really crowded set for Owens to do something like that.

So you would have Zack Ryder essentially defeat John Cena cleanly in a hastily thrown together match on Monday Night Raw?

CornetteFace.jpg

• Like 3

Just kinda wish Cena wasn't kicking out of everyone's finishers.  Only people protected in that regard were Zayn(never did the Helluva Kick) and Neville(Rusev ran in after the Red Arrow).  Short list of finishers Cena has kicked out of(since the start of the U.S. Title open challenges):  Ambrose's Dirty Deeds, Stardust's Crossrhodes, Barrett's Bullhammer, and now Zack's Rough Ryder.  Regardless of position on the card, those finishers had been protected fairly well.

So you would have Zack Ryder essentially defeat John Cena cleanly in a hastily thrown together match on Monday Night Raw?

CornetteFace.jpg

TBF, they just did the same thing with Rusev attacking Neville a few weeks ago.

CornetteFace.jpg

TBF, they just did the same thing with Rusev attacking Neville a few weeks ago.

True, but two big differences for me:

1.) Neville got attacked before he could even cover Cena, so we're left to wonder what would have happened if he actually tried to pin him. In Gregg's scenario, it's basically established that Cena is down for the 3 count.

2.) Neville is a brand new superstar, fresh off conquering NXT. He can come in and be anything. Whereas, it's pretty much established that Ryder is a lower card loser. The idea that after all his time floundering at the bottom of the card that he would pin Cena cleanly seems nuts to me.

• Like 1

To be fair, several people have kicked out of the AA during the challenge as well.

Whether that is a good thing or not, your mileage may vary.

The AA hasn't been nearly as protected, but then Cena had largely faced top guys before that so it was expected in main-event-level matches.  It's gotten to Olympic Slam levels of reverse protection; you actually look weak if you lose to the first AA.

Come on Gregg why in the world do you want the biggest jobber in WWE to get a visual pinfall over Cena?? Owens attacking Ryder would have made him more over in front of that crowd but I don't think it would have made any difference to the viewing audience. Definitely not worth the consequences of making Cena look like shit.

Ryder got punished because he went against the machine. The WWE says they want people to reach for the brass ring. Well they only want people they specifically want to reach for that ring (your Roman Reigns of the world). There is no reason why Ryder should not have been a go-to mid card guy in the chase for the Intercontinental or US Titles. But he went and got himself over without their help and that sort of thing just can't be tollerated.

What's the point of having this giant machine if you can do it yourself.

Wait, I thought a lot of people hates that Cena buries everyone and/or Ryder deserved a push?

I think Cena about to lose to Ryder is if Federer loses in the first round of a major or when Duke loses to Mercer. No one thinks less of Fed or Coach K for being on the other sides of upsets.

Ryder having his biggest moment taken away from him in front of his entire family and friends is wrestling assholery at its ultimate. Owens then explains that his moment -- beating Cena on his terms -- is all that matters to him. It is even better if Ryder takes a stretcher ride.

YOU STOLE EVE FROM ME!!!!

tumblr_noxqvgzG5V1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Would you also not punt another man's face off for this?

I know it's a botch, but at least that version of the facewash looks hurty.  Done properly, the facewash is a cool spot, but probably one of the less painful things you could do to your opponent,

Though, between that and Cena spiking the top of his head off the canvas when Ryder did the KIllswitch, I kinda expect Zach to finally be future endeavored (a la Kennedy after the Orton match).  That bump off the Killswitch probably looked worse than it was, but it looked nasty.

We have to stop pretending it's 1983 and Rusev can go work Florida or something.  "You build up a heel to feed him to the top face" 

No, you shouldn't be doing that with every heel in 2015.  There is a need for new talent at the top of the card.  Edge wasn't built up to the main event and then demoted.  Neither was Batista. Neither was Orton. 

People bitch and complain about part timers being the only "real" stars but it happens because of crap like this. Sure, Rusev had a ceiling but his ceiling was not lifetime midcarder in nothing feuds with Dolph Ziggler.  He should be a title contender by now. 

They took the U.S. title.  They took Lana.  They watered down his gimmick.  They gave him a crappy follow-up feud.  All things that people on here predicted would happen. 

Yeah, they can still save him but will they?  Do they even know how?

• Like 1

Rusev isn't in the main event. But instead you now have:

1) Cena with the US Title. He has introduced Neville, Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens to the roster. They are starting to build new talent that way. Rusev couldn't do that.

1A) Cena is also, as a result, away from the main event. That gives Rollins and Ambrose and Reigns room to breath without Cena's presence overwhelming them.

2) They have some sort of solo plan for Lana. They are building her up as a woman who stands up for herself. She is super talented and really over. She has major potential to transcend the WWE. If she doesn't get that far, you can always pair them back up.

3) Ziggler is really over and good. They now have a program that will lead to really good matches. They aren't the main event but you still need a b-card. And it's also tied into the IC belt. Rusev's rants last night were great.

4) And I am also thinking that this whole thing ends with Lana siding with Rusev as some dastardly plot.