DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 67: Condit vs. Alves (5/30/2015) - Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil (Goiânia Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

NBK's knee looks 100% and he is back to murdering guys instead of trying to earn decisions.

Even so, calling for a title fight after beating a #12 ranked fighter after being out for a 14 months messes with my MMAth.  I am not sure how that win makes him a #1 contender no matter how convincing it was.

What else should he say? I'd really like a shot at Tim Means if he gets through Matt Brown?

Yes

"There are a lot of competitors out there and I am going to show them who the real man is."

There are tough guy ways to spin, "I need a tune up fight or two before I take a title shot."

NBK's knee looks 100% and he is back to murdering guys instead of trying to earn decisions.

Even so, calling for a title fight after beating a #12 ranked fighter after being out for a 14 months messes with my MMAth.  I am not sure how that win makes him a #1 contender no matter how convincing it was.

What else should he say? I'd really like a shot at Tim Means if he gets through Matt Brown?

Yes

"There are a lot of competitors out there and I am going to show them who the real man is."

There are tough guy ways to spin, "I need a tune up fight or two before I take a title shot."

He's ranked 4th! You don't start calling out guys below you if you are ranked 4th. If I were Condit, I'd be talking mad shit on Rory. He's 31 and has 38 fights under his belt. He's not trying to fight Neil Magny as a Fight Pass main event. Matt Brown, Demian Maia, Robbie Lawler if he loses. Those are the options. 

He's ranked 4th! You don't start calling out guys below you if you are ranked 4th. If I were Condit, I'd be talking mad shit on Rory. He's 31 and has 38 fights under his belt. He's not trying to fight Neil Magny as a Fight Pass main event. Matt Brown, Demian Maia, Robbie Lawler if he loses. Those are the options. 

I wouldn't call out dudes under me but I wouldn't be clamoring for title shots after being out for 14 months and having my last fight be a loss to the #3 guy.via TKO (Knee Destroyed).

Realistically yeah, he would fight Maia or Brown before getting a title shot, provided that he won.

Lawler taking a little mini vacation did a create a bit of a logjam. I believe Jeremy Botter alluded to Hendricks waiting for his shot. So between those two things, Condit ain't getting a title shot for at least a year from now. Plus, you still have Woodley out there who beat Condit. I am not ruling out the situation that happened at 155 where Cerrone is getting one, but he would need more stuff to go in his favor. You had Khabib getting hurt a few times, other contenders losing, Pettis being dominated enough where it didn't warrant a rematch, Dos Anjos being hurt coming in and out of the title fight, and Cerrone putting together several wins. Condit is waiting for rematches to happen that might lead to more rematches. 

The only guy Condit should really be worried about is Hendricks. I think he'd still be favored in a re-match with Woodley, particularly if it was scheduled for 5 rounds. It's also a pretty easy sell for the UFC. Obviously a Condit/Rory rematch is easy to sell. He needs some things to break the right way, but he could easily line himself up with a title eliminator. Would it really surprise anyone if Condit jumped Woodley in the pecking order?

What the hell are you guys talking about, Robbie fucking Lawler is the Welterweight champion, if you think that Carlos Condit is an unlikely title challenger you haven't been paying attention.  Robbie Lawler wouldn't have been considered a challenger 3 years ago, but in this post-GSP world no one is that much better than anyone else.  In a 5 round fight, Carlos Condit is at least a serious threat to every welterweight contender.  He is really good standing, more than capable on the ground, and has pretty decent takedown defense, he's not an easy win for anyone.  If he was to beat any welterweight in the world I wouldn't even consider it an upset. 

I think Condit beating Hendricks would be a pretty sizable upset. 

The first fight was a 29-28 score, Hendricks clearly won, but it wasn't a one sided fight.  If they fought again I wouldn't be surprised if it was a close fight the other way.  Carlos Condit is a very good fighter who has only been stopped once since 2006 and it was because of injury.  Beating him in a five round fight is going to be incredibly dificult for anyone in the world at 170.  I'm not saying these dudes can't beat him, but he's competitive against everyone in the division.

The first fight was a 29-28 score, Hendricks clearly won, but it wasn't a one sided fight.  If they fought again I wouldn't be surprised if it was a close fight the other way.  Carlos Condit is a very good fighter who has only been stopped once since 2006 and it was because of injury.  Beating him in a five round fight is going to be incredibly dificult for anyone in the world at 170.  I'm not saying these dudes can't beat him, but he's competitive against everyone in the division.

Hendricks was 12 for 15 in takedowns, 4 for 5 in each round. That shit ain't changing.

Hendricks was 12 for 15 in takedowns, 4 for 5 in each round. That shit ain't changing.

Despite that, it still wasn't any sort of domination which stats like those would suggest.  So no, I don't think it would be much of an upset for Condit to beat Hendricks.  

Hendricks looked great in the first two rounds against Condit and looked like he had gassed out hard by the third.  In a three round fight I think Hendricks has got him but Condit made him expend a ton of energy to win and in a five round fight I think that could be a difference maker.

Hendricks also thought he broke his hand. He was heading into Round 3 knowing he won the fight, barring a KO, and he still took him down 4 more times. It's not an upset from an overall talent standpoint. I think Condit is pretty clearly one of the 5 best Welterweights in the world. The problem is, I'm not sure he has an avenue to victory against Hendricks. He has never shown the ability to stop those takedowns. The stats on the fight might be tight, but if he's taking him down a few times per round, it won't matter what Condit does. You can't overcome that on the cards. He needs a finish, which likely isn't the easiest proposition against someone who has never been finished before.