DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

That's hilarious.

Also, fuck this game. I needed a break around 2 am from battling and worrying about flood waters so I went to play so NMS. The rain had stopped and the water looked like it would flood my entire house. So I'm playing NMS and I'm 45 minutes in when the framerate drops. I'm used to that. That's fine. I get to a save point, quit to desktop, and then restart. When I restart, the white "Initialise" screen appears. Ooooook. I hold E to start the game and it's a brand new game. It looks like I've started over. I go to load my last save and NOTHING HAPPENS. FUCK.

I spend the next 15 minutes trying to see if I can recover my save. NOPE. So all that fucking time I spent going from one pod or monolith to another is just totally wiped out. 9 hours of gameplay just totally erased.

The PC version of this game can eat a dick. 

• Like 2

I'm trying to get a "100%" on my first planet. I've made six of the seven discoveries that I need to make in order to make that happen (85% completion rate). I KNOW that the last one is the damn birds I've seen at a couple of different locations on the planet.

Unfortunately, my scanner doesn't reach to where the birds are in the sky. Doing a Google search, I discovered that the solution is, apparently, to shoot them out of the sky and to scan the corpse when it hits the ground. Unfortunately, most of the surface of my planet is covered with vegetation that's just deep enough to obscure anything that might just be laying in it, and so after shooting down about half a dozen of the damn things, I have no idea where any of them are. It pisses off the Sentinels when you do that, too. So, I'm going to continue trying when I play again later on.

I probably should have gone on to another planet by now, but damn it. . .I want that 100%.

My mining laser is so powerful (I have all four damage upgrades for it and they STACK - and this is the mining laser, not turning it into a gun) that it cuts through sentinels like a hot knife through butter.  They basically exist to mine titanium and neutrino modules now.   It wasn't easy getting it that way.

So of course now, I keep finding other multitools with more slots sometimes for fucking FREE, where I'd have to rebuild shit again.

Got it! Finally got a bird I shot down to fall onto a fairly barren patch of land so that I could find and scan it, so I got my 100% on my initial planet.

Gonna move on to the next one tomorrow, I think. Hope it's as nice as my first one has been.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

My mining laser is so powerful (I have all four damage upgrades for it and they STACK - and this is the mining laser, not turning it into a gun) that it cuts through sentinels like a hot knife through butter.  They basically exist to mine titanium and neutrino modules now.   It wasn't easy getting it that way.

So of course now, I keep finding other multitools with more slots sometimes for fucking FREE, where I'd have to rebuild shit again.

Did you deconstruct everything and rebuild it in order to get everything to line up for the synergy bonus, or did it just work out that way? I only have a couple of upgrades that get me the stackable bonuses because of the way stuff was placed in my exosuit and multitool from the beginning. I keep grinding for all the tech blueprints and I'm going to try to arrange everything in a way so that I can get stack bonuses for all of it.

NMS was patched. I'm curious to see what the PS4 players here think.

Playing it on PC earlier still seemed the same, except the framerate dropped out about 30 minutes into playing instead of 50 to 60 minutes.

54 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Craig the more you talk about this game the more hyped I get for Planet Nomads.

What in the hell...? That's one cool looking mod for NMS! I mean, it gives you everything that should be in the game!

Seriously though, that looks great. So NMS, without the space travel, but way more like Minecraft. I'm down for that.

I finally scanned the last animal on my starter planet!! Hooray for me! Now to see if I can get back to my crash site and choose to follow the Atlas. Or will I run into another beacon that will allow me to make that choice now?

I don't think I ever made the choice and I'm still following the atlas.

The latest update made my friend Mike's game crash EVERY TIME HE WARPS TO ANOTHER GALAXY, with 100% accuracy.  He bought it digitally and they won't give him a refund because they think he played it too much before he got to this point.  I would be so fucking pissed.

• Like 1

The framerate still drops out and Hello Games support isn't exactly intent on responding to me, so that's neat. I also now have the issue of the game crashing to desktop. That's a new one for me.

I honestly don't know why I keep playing this game. Anyway, I just learned today that when you find a crashed ship, you can take accept ownership of it, break down all of the tech to loot it, then go right back to your old ship to take ownership of it again.

I swear I tried that before and it didn't work, but maybe I was screwing something up. It's supposed to be a good way of getting harder to find materials, like Gravitron Balls.

It's not a bad little tactic. I have been able to stockpile a lot of elements not available in the system I am in by doing that.  Sadly, I seem to be stuck in a loop where every crashed ship I find is -1 inventory slots of what I currently have, so I may be fucked for being able to upgrade without buying a ship direct from a guy at a landing pad.

The first planet almost beat me.  Is it like this for everyone?:  My ship was stranded on this elevated butte in the middle of a circular canyon with NO WAY UP OR DOWN.  Getting down was easy (obviously), but I nearly threw my controller at the TV trying to figure how to get back up there.  Oh, and the planet was highly radioactive this whole time, btw.

Basically, I had to work my way through this complex, interlocking cave system until it finally put me out on top of the canyon, and then I was able to find a cliff high enough above the butte that I could take a leap of faith and hope my jetpack would carry me across.

You cannot imagine how gutwrenching that was, weighing my options on if it was worth the risk if I missed and had to wind my way through those caves again.

But I did it.  Fucking BARELY.

• Like 2

I am dipping back in here and notice that really no one seems to be that far. So I don't feel so bad :)

I am probably over-exploring but I figured I should do whatever feels like fun at that moment. I am only on about my sixth system in 15 hours. I stayed on one planet for a long time as it had the best weather and awesome resources so I have upgraded my suit a lot with all the monies. So far no crashes/freezes (playing on PS4) so no complaints in that regard. Its a fun little game, I just wouldn't even know how to describe it to someone.

• Like 1

I think I'm doing the same thing as far as "over exploring" goes. I've had the game for two weeks (though I did have family visiting during that time, so I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked), and I'm only on my third planet and still on my first star system. I should probably stop worrying about getting 100% of the species on every planet I land on or else it's going to take me ten years to get to the center of the galaxy.

The three planets I've seen so far have been relatively varied:

Planet 1 - Plenty of plants, plenty of animals, normal temperature around 0 degrees C.

Planet 2 - Relatively barren, decent amount of animals, normal temperature around 60 degrees C.

Planet 3 - Covered with snow and oceans (at the same time, somehow), slightly fewer animals, normal temperature around -50 degrees C.

Did find 100% of the animals on the first two planets, upgraded my multi-tool a few times, only upgraded my ship once and did the whole thing to get the Hyperdrive. The planet I'm currently on has 12 forms of animal life to discover, and the whole star system I'm in only has five planets. Will probably at least check them both out before I hyper warp (or whatever the correct term is) for the first time.

What's funny is that I am not really concerned with 100% planets but rather I bounce around to look for valuable resources. I have no qualms staying only 10 minutes on one planet if the weather is terrible and it only has Iron, then four hours on the next planet because it has gold and copper everywhere. I only scan wildlife if it hops in front of me and rarely scan plants, the units from them I find aren't worth the hassle compared to getting money from resources.

I am not criticizing at all, there is no 'right' way to go about it, just interesting to see people playing the game with totally different methods.

• Like 1

I've taken to naming planets based on distinguishing characteristics that might be useful for backtracking in the future.  For instance, I just came across one that was LOADED with emeril deposits, so naturally I named it "Emeril Live."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EVA said:

I've taken to naming planets based on distinguishing characteristics that might be useful for backtracking in the future.  For instance, I just came across one that was LOADED with emeril deposits, so naturally I named it "Emeril Live."

Not Bam?