DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

Hey, I loved the games. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, because the combat and travel were kind of annoying, but 2 and 3 are two of my favorite games. If I could find those two for relatively cheap online, I would jump on them. Many a fond memories of getting high with my old roommate and playing 2 and 3 for hours and hours :P I just HATED the soundtrack, especially for the first one.

If anything, I'd switch out the soundtracks for these two games because NMS looks really cheesy from a visual point of view, and the 65daysofstatic soundtrack seems like a better fit with Mass Effect.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're talking like Hoobastank or Breaking Benjamin did work on the soundtracks...

You are talking like that would be a good thing

Just now, Casey said:

I don't get it.

You were talking about how you hated the soundtrack and I was referring back to the Halo 2 and 3 soundtracks and the hate for hiring Hoobastank and Breaking Benjamin to do the music for those.

I'm pretty sure that was only Halo 2, and that was okay because out of the 4 or 5 songs from Breaking Benjamin, Hoobastank and Incubus, only one song played within the game and it fit within the narrative of the battle. And I had just turned 15 when Halo 2 came out, so that was right within my musical tastes at the time.

Man, I can't imagine I was the only one who marked out even just a little bit when Stranger Things' soundtrack had the same synth sound as the Mass Effect series. I love that and think I'll be using spotify on the ps4 to get more of it when playing this game.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

NO

It had the same synth sound as John Carpenter movies for fuck's sake, Oyaji.

Listen to some Perturbator and Carpenter Brut if you want more, though.  Like, they'll be exactly what you're looking for

Eh, I don't know if Carpenter's soundtracks had that exact same sound but i will listen to Perturbator and Carpenter Brut. Thanks! Maybe my problem is all I can think of right now is that super cheese song at the start of Big Trouble.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Watching a livestream, this looks like the most boring game ever but it's something I could see myself getting easily sucked into and spending an entire weekend playing nonstop.

Yeah, I thought it looked pretty boring from the stream I watched. Might be one of those games where you have to play it to really get it, though.

From the official twitch stream:

I feel like the dude starting the stream on a DEAD PLANET was the dumbest fucking idea to get someone excited in your exploration game that you can have.

The trading stuff where he was looking at all the ships totally sucked me in for some reason, as did the space battle stuff where he said "Well, traders have better stuff" meaning we can be motherfucking SPACE MUGGERS if we want.  The alien races will probably hate us for it though.

The planet he landed on where the wildlife started killing each other is more what I'm looking for in this type of game, but I liked him coming across the ones that looked like the artist renditions of a chupacabra.

For those with Amazon Prime (seems like that is half of my posts), the Limited Edition got put back into stock recently (not sure when but it was out of stock last week), so they either got more in or they had cancellations. Anyway, with 20% off, the Limited Edition comes out to about the same price as if you paid full price for the regular edition. Limited Edition ($80 before discount) comes with:

• SteelBook case including No Man's Sky PS4 game
  • Adventures in No Man's Sky Comic
  • The Art of No Man's Sky - 48 page art bookrt
  • PS4 Dynamic Theme 
  • Bonus In-game DLC - Photonix Core advanced ship boost, Trader Charisma bonus set of valuable resources, and Boltcaster SM weapon blueprint

Anyway, just wanted to give people that hadn't purchased it yet a heads up, they also have a pre-order bonus for a special ship or something. I don't have stock in Amazon, for the record.

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

For those with Amazon Prime (seems like that is half of my posts), the Limited Edition got put back into stock recently (not sure when but it was out of stock last week), so they either got more in or they had cancellations. Anyway, with 20% off, the Limited Edition comes out to about the same price as if you paid full price for the regular edition. Limited Edition ($80 before discount) comes with:

• SteelBook case including No Man's Sky PS4 game
  • Adventures in No Man's Sky Comic
  • The Art of No Man's Sky - 48 page art bookrt
  • PS4 Dynamic Theme 
  • Bonus In-game DLC - Photonix Core advanced ship boost, Trader Charisma bonus set of valuable resources, and Boltcaster SM weapon blueprint

Anyway, just wanted to give people that hadn't purchased it yet a heads up, they also have a pre-order bonus for a special ship or something. I don't have stock in Amazon, for the record.

This is what I wound up ordering. Final price wound up at $63.99.

And now. . .we wait.

The thing I noticed after playing for a couple of hours last night is the game tries very hard to balance giving the player just enough info to get by. Sometimes I feel like they are too reluctant to give clues and will force the player to struggle, which is fine. I had a lot of fun just trying to scan and document life. Got to a space dock and traded my ship for that one that came with preordering the game (I think). I didn't get what the game meant when it kept saying I have something to unlock in the options menu, but that's it.

My starting planet ("Druidia"!) didn't have much life on it and was radioactive but had some decent resources.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

With all the claims that the UI is exactly like Destiny - I wonder if those who played Destiny will have an sort of "advantage"

It is strikingly similar though I think mostly in superficial ways.

I can not explain just how thrilled I am at what this game has revealed itself to be so far. I think that sort of wondering about what it might be, and not following much of the announced features really helped, I can just sort of let the game unfold and discover all this nifty stuff without having driven myself nuts trying to decipher what genre NMS belongs to.

I put in about 4 hours last night, and I spent the entire time wandering around my first planet harvesting resources and trying to scan all the wildlife I ran into. I ended up collecting everything I needed to repair my ship, but I shut it off around 1.30 so that my son could watch along with me. It was his last night of summertime bedtime, so I wanted to make it worth his while and then not go any further.

I like the survival aspect of it, I found myself on a couple different occasions being super freaked out about possibly not making it to a waypoint so I could save after a bad fall after depleting my jetpack fuel, and I had about a ten minute period where I was trying to make it to one of the outposts I had found before my life support system failed completely. I am a total "fuck around and do side missions while ignoring the story" kind of guy, so to have a game that in its own way caters to that sort of silliness really makes me happy. I realize that there is an end goal, but the experience I have had playing it thus far kind of makes me think that it will be a long fucking time before I get there. At this very early point, I can't say enough good things about this game.

Here's the view of my start planet, if anyone is interested. Slightly irradiated, kind of toxic, pretty hot.

CpZAuuNUIAAq6Ng.jpg

Edited by grilledcheese