DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

I am playing my day 1 save and I think I'm about to pull the plug and restart. I can't craft a portable refiner because I can't find the blueprint for it, and it isn't available for purchase with any of the space station upgrade merchants.  In fact, I have not been given any new blueprints for any technology that I haven't purchased from a merchant.

I have been watching my 9 year old build all kinds of new shit and be guided along because he restarted, and here I am, holding on to a save because I have a bunch of credits and 500 hours sunk into it. I kind of feel like the update fucked me, but it is also totally my fault, since for the last two years I have just been screwing around and not making any progress towards the center of the universe. I've just been traipsing along, jumping systems when I feel like and trying to check out a zillion different planets.

On xbox, the portable refiner is in the menu you get when you press up on the D pad. 

I played long enough today to build the base computer and build a shelter. I got an emergency distress call off planet but that's where I stopped. 

Yeah, same mechanic to get to the refiner build on PS4, but it just isn't available to me. I have been operating under the assumption that I need to find the blueprint, but haven't been able to find it or have it given to me as a gift for other sidequests as of yet. I'll get back at it tonight when I get home from the office, but if I can't get the schematic in the next couple of hours of gameplay, I am probably just going to bite the bullet and start a new save.

So last night I finally get the quest to find a habitable base to actually generate a waypoint, get to the spot and retrieve my base from the archive, and now all the tech I have been complaining about not having is available. No new save for me just yet!!

Where the hell is the mission board? I'm on part of the "tutorial" quest where I have to build a hyperdrive, but to get the parts for it I need to make money and to do that I should take jobs from some mission board. I have no idea where the hell this thing is.

Yesterday I got to the point where I got the freighter, built a command center, and started my first mission.

While mining on an icy planet I found a cave system that was much bigger than I expected.

Got lost, but never panicked because I had a ton of supplies in my inventory which  caused me to miss out on numerous Vortex Cubes.

Eventually had to use my mining laser to dig a way to the surface, a la Minecraft.

It was a trip being in that cave and hearing the footsteps of the massive beasts living their lives on the surface.

Wife is out of town tonight, so I'll probably be on for a spell to see what's what.

• Like 1

I'm way farther ahead in the game than I should be, so I was gonna find me a nice, comfy planet and mine for a few years until my technology got better until I saw something on the map that said "black hole." Ooh, piece of candy!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Where the hell is the mission board? I'm on part of the "tutorial" quest where I have to build a hyperdrive, but to get the parts for it I need to make money and to do that I should take jobs from some mission board. I have no idea where the hell this thing is.

It's in the space stations. One of the aliens there will have various small tasks to complete. Exterminate sentinels, scan minerals, kill animals, deliver parts, find people, take photos. All kinds of stuff. You can take on a handful of tasks and then turn them back into any "mission agent" for the payout. That payout will be in the form of some credits/nanites/consumables. If it's credits, then primo, you are already on your way to what you need, but if it turns out to be an item, you can just sell that item at the trade hub in the same space station.

Edited by grilledcheese
expanded my answer
  • Like 1

Still in my initial system, and while part of me is screaming to go around and find all the animals on those planets (there's only three planets), I have a feeling that would drive me nuts, so I might go ahead and warp to the next system here.

Hope I can get my hands on a different multi-tool here shortly. I'm still using the five-slot one that I started with and there's only one open slot on it. At least it has a terrain manipulator on it.

So I went ahead and warped, and the only system that was with in reach had a grand total of one planet. Since the regular temperature on the planet was about 140 degrees and I had gotten the antimatter formula, I put together another warp cell and kept following the path. Now I'm in a system with four planets and I've met "Polo," who is analyzing some data that I gave him from my travels.

I also traded a couple hundred nanites at one of the space stations for an upgrade to my scanner. It upgrades the rewards you get for scanning plants and animals. So now, rather than getting about 500 or 1,000 credits every time I scan a plant or an animal, the number is usually over 20,000. One bigger animal I scanned gave me over 80,000. So that's helping my bank account significantly.

I got this game the day it came out, and this is by far the deepest I've ever gone into the game. I might even actually get one of those Atlas Passes this time.

You can find some interesting side quests from aliens you meet in trade depots.

I lucked out on my initial base build.

The base itself is just a 4x4 room, but the planet is lush and there seems to be a body of water at every turn.

I think I'll be building my "castle" on this planet sometime soon.

Unless I happen upon a planet with no sentinels. :)

I finally found some whispering eggs. Thanks to the advice here, I left them alone. 

Got my micro processors. Now off to mine some copper. 

I wasted a bunch of jet fuel like a dope. I was trying to tag a destination but accidentally kept landing. And then had to go make more fuel. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I finally found some whispering eggs. Thanks to the advice here, I left them alone. 

Got my micro processors. Now off to mine some copper. 

I wasted a bunch of jet fuel like a dope. I was trying to tag a destination but accidentally kept landing. And then had to go make more fuel. 

If you have something to rocket jump on top of to blast them, you're gold.

Just jump off after the mob has subsided and repeat.

Did some hyper driving and found some more monolith things and what not. 

My biggest issue now is constantly having a full inventory and being unable to get any loot from cargo boxes.

should I be hoarding uncommon elements (anything not carbon, sodium, oxygen, ..) or just selling them on

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I moved my ship NXT to the building with the eggs. I shot an egg and then jumped into my ship before the horrors got to me. Can I wait them out? 

Jump on top of something and let them have a taste of mining laser.

They erupt in a satisfying green spew.

Yeah. I did that. Also shot them from the top of the abandoned building where the eggs were located.

tonight was going back and forth between the Anomaly and local planet. Still working towRds getting the advanced laser. Also completed my first mission (feeding creatures) which got me a whole 160 credits. I also accidentally landed on a freighter. 

also, running  out of pulse fuel sucks. Took me 15 minutes in real time to get from a space station to the closest planet.