DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

54 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I went and re-started. . .again. Wound up with a starting planet that has toxic storms and is labeled as "lawless," which apparently means that every time I attempt to collect Ferrite Dust and there's a Sentinel within about half a mile I'm going to get shot at.

Only played long enough to get the repairs on my ship completed, but it does seem like a much more difficult game than it was before the Next update.

That reminds me of the problems I had with sentinels last night. I was harvesting resources, sentinels took issue with it and attacked. I knocked off a couple of them, but they just kept coming and kept coming. Is there no way to kill off the first wave and not have them continue to pursue you? I'll have to look and see what the sentinel type and planet class I was on.

6 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

That reminds me of the problems I had with sentinels last night. I was harvesting resources, sentinels took issue with it and attacked. I knocked off a couple of them, but they just kept coming and kept coming. Is there no way to kill off the first wave and not have them continue to pursue you? I'll have to look and see what the sentinel type and planet class I was on.

I had one instance where I had one come after me, and when I took that one out a clock started that said that the sentinels were searching for me (I can't recall the exact verbiage that was used). But a timer counted down and when it got to zero they went back to leaving me alone.

Another time I had two of them after me at once and just had to run for it until the timer counted down again. I thought that jumping in my ship might do the trick (couldn't take off because I hadn't completed my repairs yet), but they just sat outside the ship and waited for me.

So, FUNNY STORY.

No Man's Sky is available on both Steam, and GOG (which never uses DRM).

The company that makes NMS, when they did their update, fucked up and only did a version with DRM because they straight up forgot they needed a separate version for GOG, so the GOG release is now totally borked and cannot receive the multiplayer update. Hello Game's response has been "too bad, we're not going to fix that".

GOG is offering full refunds, because GOG is not trash.

This company is bad. Like, fundamentally bad at game development.

• Like 1

Hello Games announced pre-release that the GOG version wouldn't have multiplayer at launch and that it's coming later this year, a position that hasn't changed at all.  GOG is offering refunds because people didn't want to wait for it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jstout said:

Run away from the sentinels. A clock starts. It's usually about 30 seconds, and the sentinels usually lose interest at the end of the timer.]

Yeah, I got the clock, but it was like a 5 second countdown, and then a second wave came. I knocked those off, and then a third wave came. Another super short clock and then I had the walkers. Bad news, especially considering all my exosuit tech was obsoleted and I got just fucking brutalized.

I don't even have a gun set up as part of my tech yet. I figured out the timer after running away from one because I didn't really know what else to do. Try not returning fire and see what happens.

I love the eyeball dealie on my shoulder, it's been one of my favorite parts of the game. It's like a parrot.

• Like 1

I wound up reinstalling the game and starting a new run on Normal. It plays much, much, much better now. The graphics options it thinks I should use are lower than what Geforce Experience thinks I could use though, so I'll have to bump that stuff up.

I love how starting a new game walks you through everything that is new, like basebuilding. The only problem is that the planet it started me on was about 80% toxic with acid rain and then the next planet I was supposed to fly to was also toxic with heat around 150 degrees. I haven't died yet though. I forgot how much time I could lose to NMS by just scanning everything and collecting resources.

Slowly making my way through the beginning portions of the game again. In a system where there are only three planets and I now have everything to warp to the next system, but I might go back to a couple of places and see if I can't find more animals for the credits.

Yesterday I was looking for buried relics as part of one of the quests when I get a notification that a "superheated storm" is coming my way. (I think that was the verbiage the game used.) I'm about 400 meters (or whatever the unit of measure is) from my ship and the "four walls and a roof" structure I built as one of the quests. Thinking I have enough time to get back to my ship, I start hauling ass that direction.

I get nearly halfway there, and the temperature shoots up to about 250 F (normal temps on this planet are between 85-90) because the storm is on top of me. Luckily I had enough juice in my Terrain Manipulator to drill a hole deep enough to drop into and wait the storm out. Wound up in a cave where I could mine a few things while I was waiting.

This game has changed so much since the beginning. It's more difficult than it was, that's for sure.

I was wandering around today and was stuck in a creepy green cave for a half hour before I left for work.

The worst part is I am now out of range from my ship. At least I finally figured out to make sure i keep my life support well stocked.:)

HOLY SHIT!

Spoiler

I found some Alien looking eggs in my playthrough and I was able to interact with them. If you interact with them they open up and there's a core inside. So I took the core and was assaulted by these creepy ass creatures. I mean, they shredded me.

Yeah, that happened to me on my starting planet. It was actually right next to where my spaceship was at. I see this cave with a weird looking plant in it. I go up to it and OH GOD I'M DYING.

There are a couple different eggs. Humming eggs are a resource, there are Albumen Pearls inside. The Whispering Eggs will release "Biological Horrors" that will rat pack you and fuck your shit up if you can't get into shelter. You can't scan them, but they die pretty quickly via mining  laser.

I panicked and basically spun around until I died. I did some reading up on it after and you can sell the shit inside whispering eggs for a ton of currency. For the price they sell for, wouldn't it be something that's worth holding onto?

Also, I wish NMS had a trading post where users could sell their own shit to other users. Maybe that breaks the economy though. Or maybe they only make it available to folks playing on Survivor mode. That has to be in the pipeline you'd think.

Been running around on the planet surface (15k so far). Still can’t find my spaceship or a city. Closest is an abandoned base with some health and components.

should I start over, now that I have an idea of game mechanics ? 

Edit: restarting was smart. I know have my visor working and found 2 pieces of navigational data. Now, to find some chromatic metal. 

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Been running around on the planet surface (15k so far). Still can’t find my spaceship or a city. Closest is an abandoned base with some health and components.

should I start over, now that I have an idea of game mechanics ? 

Edit: restarting was smart. I know have my visor working and found 2 pieces of navigational data. Now, to find some chromatic metal. 

If you've built the portable refiner, you can make chromatic metal by dumping copper into it. Think it's 2 pieces of copper for 1 chromatic metal.

So I am 5-ish hours into NMS and am realizing the game I am playing is a combination of Gazillionaire and Minecraft.

I think I picked the normal setting to start out, but I did die within the first 5 minutes because I spawned in a radioactive ravine.

So far my most notable accomplishment has been the uncanny ability to navigate into the side of the space station. Twice.

Loving it so far.

• Haha 1

Having started 3 or 4 games now, I think you start in some kind of hazardous environment every time, but not always the same kind (do you need Oxygen, Sodium or other for your suit). 

I dont have the refiner yet. I have seen copper on my previous game, but couldn't recover it yet. 

I stopped last night after leaving the trading post and now have the 800m trek back to my ship when. I restart.