DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

I got back into No Man's Sky. It's really good now. Really, really good. If this was the game they released months ago it would have been the game of the year.

I'm doing a Survival run. I considered going the hardcore permadeath route, but was worried about dying quickly. I made a good choice because I've died a bunch on Survival. I'm loving the missions you get now, the ability to stack tons of stuff, and the controls, particularly for flying, are vastly improved.

This is now a $60 game, but if you get it for $40 or less it's a steal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I got back into No Man's Sky. It's really good now. Really, really good. If this was the game they released months ago it would have been the game of the year.

I'm doing a Survival run. I considered going the hardcore permadeath route, but was worried about dying quickly. I made a good choice because I've died a bunch on Survival. I'm loving the missions you get now, the ability to stack tons of stuff, and the controls, particularly for flying, are vastly improved.

This is now a $60 game, but if you get it for $40 or less it's a steal.

Yeah, it's a completely different game now. I reset all my stuff and am starting to get back into it again.

Contrast this with the way EA treated Mass Effect: Andromeda, where they've basically said "Fuck it" after the game's been out for less than six months.

• Like 2

I have been resisting going off on another rant about this in the Andromeda thread but seeing what has happened with No Man Sky and The Division just shows that EA decided to abort on Mass Effect before Andromeda even came out

• Like 1

They haven't given up on Mass Effect, just Andromeda. Although I'd bet decent money the next Mass Effect game will be called Trilogy Remastered.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:38 AM, AxB said:

They haven't given up on Mass Effect, just Andromeda. Although I'd bet decent money the next Mass Effect game will be called Trilogy Remastered.

I've been saying the same thing. Is the gaming industry going to go all in and do the "Hollywood re-imagining everything" route?

• 6 months later...

What sucks is that no matter how many changes and improvements these guys make, the press isn't running with it- they sure ran with the NO MAN'S SKY IS FUCKING BULLSHIT stories upon release, and deservedly so IMO, but you don't see half as much on the game these days, or even this eventual XBone release.

• Like 1

I think the initial release and deafening silence from Hello Games was rightfully panned at the time.

At the same time, the transformation that game has seen since release is nothing short of remarkable. Incredible even. I said it before, but that game now is a game of the year contender. You're right, more should be written about what that game is now. 

• 1 month later...

Aw shit, here we go. The NEXT update rolls out on July 24th. Full multiplayer. Per Sean Murray:

You’ll be able to explore the universe with your friends, or bump into random travellers. You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive. Your group can build anything from tiny shelters to complex colonies spanning planets, and everything is shared online for others to visit. Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies. Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks or maybe just scenic trails to share online.

With how Hello Games has delivered on making No Man's Sky a much better experience, I'm actually inclined to believe him now. More and more this game is kinda doing what Star Citizen sounded like it was going to do and Star Citizen looks like it's nothing more than a money making scheme. It's either Star Citizen or some weird evolution of EVE Online.

I'm looking forward to it, but with one exception - my computer appears to be getting too old for this game. There's an Xbox One release in July as well and I'm curious to see how the PS4 version plays. I do like all of the mods on the PC, but man, I can't even afford to build a new PC right now.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Aw shit, here we go. The NEXT update rolls out on July 24th. Full multiplayer. Per Sean Murray:

With how Hello Games has delivered on making No Man's Sky a much better experience, I'm actually inclined to believe him now. More and more this game is kinda doing what Star Citizen sounded like it was going to do and Star Citizen looks like it's nothing more than a money making scheme. It's either Star Citizen or some weird evolution of EVE Online.

I'm looking forward to it, but with one exception - my computer appears to be getting too old for this game. There's an Xbox One release in July as well and I'm curious to see how the PS4 version plays. I do like all of the mods on the PC, but man, I can't even afford to build a new PC right now.

I've never tried the PC version, but the PS4 version is very good. I'm sure it's a much different experience than playing with all the mods and what have you, but the PS4 experience with the game is all I have at this point.

Still, I'd have to imagine that it's pretty heavily discounted just about everywhere.

• 2 months later...

Bringin' it back again because we're a few days away from the update.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jul/20/no-mans-sky-next-hello-games-sean-murray-harassment-interview

"I remember getting a death threat about the fact that there were butterflies in our original trailer, and you could see them as you walked past them, but there weren't any butterflies in the launch game. I remember thinking to myself: 'Maybe when you're sending a death threat about butterflies in a game, you might be the bad guy.'"

That's pretty solid logic, actually.

• Like 1

Considering a buy on this one (Xbox One) because I followed the PS4 saga and it sounds pretty cool now. I know y'all haven't seen the big update, but is there anything hanging over its head to make it a no-buy?

I mean, wait to see if it's stable on x-box? Launching a large online game is still a shaky proposition. It's extremely hard to have the right guess on amount of servers for player load.

Mechanically, I've actually loved it since launch, but I am weird and I just wanted Space Oregon Trail With Spooky Caves and got it, so someone else is going to have to take that question.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I mean, wait to see if it's stable on x-box? Launching a large online game is still a shaky proposition. It's extremely hard to have the right guess on amount of servers for player load.

Mechanically, I've actually loved it since launch, but I am weird and I just wanted Space Oregon Trail With Spooky Caves and got it, so someone else is going to have to take that question.

"You have died of explosive decompression."

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:57 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Such a perfect way to explain it. That is exactly the game I wanted, and the game I got two years ago. I was completely weirded out by all the hatred from people that had whipped themselves into a frenzy based on things that they were imagining the game to have.  I have been trying to complete as many of the craftables I'm missing as possible over the last few weeks. I had some pretty terrible things happen to my base when Pathfinder happened, so I'm hoping for an update with no weirdness to my specific game.

Edited by grilledcheese
Completed a sentence

After spending five hours on a new save, I went back to my old save.

They might have flushed all the stuff I made. I didn't have the heart to go try to scour the planets again to find it.

Then I went back to my new save and got a frigate, which seemed like something that would never have happened in the last game.

Also I made myself into my own personal chill gek homie.

I dunno. I love the hell out of this game, even including all the ways it's thorny and stabs my hands when I try to hold it aloft and show it off to people. It might be because I don't fuck with any other survival games, so this is My Survival Game.

• Like 2

I picked up my game and was super disappointed that so much of my tech was now "obsolete". On the bright side, it looked like they reconfigured how the exosuit tech was placed, so I can now rebuild and maximize the way that the bonuses stack for upgrades. My boy bought himself the Crash trilogy last night, so he had control of the game selection last evening, so I only had a little bit of time to run around and mine new resources. I will say that the new low flight controls have got me all kinds of fucked up, I have done some really severe damage to my ship coming in from orbit and trying to get around planetside. I liked the flight controls better when you couldn't get down so low and weren't quite so free to maneuver.

I'll likely sink a bunch of time into it tonight after the wife and kids go to bed.

I went and re-started. . .again. Wound up with a starting planet that has toxic storms and is labeled as "lawless," which apparently means that every time I attempt to collect Ferrite Dust and there's a Sentinel within about half a mile I'm going to get shot at.

Only played long enough to get the repairs on my ship completed, but it does seem like a much more difficult game than it was before the Next update.

Dammit anyway, I might have to get this on the PS4...

I would hop back into NMS every now and then after it had been patched up and every time it would crash. I'd get the same slowdown as before and then it would crash. It was like the same memory leak issues I had before the game was patched. I thought, well, whatever, the game is drastically better than it was before.

Hopped back in last night and son of a bitch, the game still crashes. My computer was OK when NMS first came out, but by this point it's significantly older. I don't see much of a graphical update, there were weird graphical glitches while running, and it kept crashing and so I lost any progress I made.

So yeah, it's either uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps because maybe mods I had from before are fucking things up or maybe a fresh install would make things run smoother. Or I get it on the PS4, but it's not a PS4 Pro so I don't know if that's going to matter or not.

Either way, wow is the game even more different now. I can't recall the last game I've seen evolve this much. It's incredible and I feel really bad for all of the bitching I did before about Hello Games.