DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

• 4 weeks later...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/03/35-amazing-things-about-no-mans-sky/

Would this constitute as "false advertising?"  Some No Man's Sky players have told me things like the factions and pirate factions mentioned here by Hello Games are nowhere to be found in the game.

Something like this in particular:

•  

• Freighters, led by capital ships, steadily travel along trade routes, sending ships down to trading posts as they go. You can choose to attack them and steal their resources, but you’ll find them heavily defended, and pirates might have the same idea…

Well, it might turn out to be one of those things like Destiny, where the early adopters almost all left it and feel they were hoodwinked into buying half a game, whilst everyone who bought the anniversary edition thinks it's great and there's so much to do. But Destiny was from a big studio with lots of people working on it (and a lot of the 'DLC' allegedly actually being on the disc in the first place) whilst No Man's Sky is from a small studio who's reach has over extended their grasp pretty badly so far. And they aren't communicating about when patches or expansions are coming, so...

You can probably get it for dead cheap second hand already though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, it might turn out to be one of those things like Destiny, where the early adopters almost all left it and feel they were hoodwinked into buying half a game, whilst everyone who bought the anniversary edition thinks it's great and there's so much to do. But Destiny was from a big studio with lots of people working on it (and a lot of the 'DLC' allegedly actually being on the disc in the first place) whilst No Man's Sky is from a small studio who's reach has over extended their grasp pretty badly so far. And they aren't communicating about when patches or expansions are coming, so...

You can probably get it for dead cheap second hand already though.

Yeah a small studio, but they had publishing and advertising from a  huge billion dollar corporation like Sony, so is that really a good excuse?

No Man's Sky is not a good game. It is a gigantic, boring, waste of time. If you love games that involve endlessly mining the same resources over and over again and pursuing an end game that just resets the game, then this is for you. Otherwise, stay away.

On another note, after more than a month, Hello Games finally responded to my help request. Yes, Hello Games, your game is still broken. The framerate still falls through the floor and doesn't recover until you restart, no I wasn't able to recover previous save files, etc. 

The email was the equivalent of whispering, "Uh...hey...are you still there?" because they're afraid of what the response might be. Lucky for them that so many people abandoned this piece of shit.

As for the comparison to Destiny, even with playing vanilla Destiny and only playing through the first expansion I felt like I at least got my money's worth. I spent a lot of time with friends in it, playing raids and nightfalls, playing Crucible, and we were all just burned out by the time the next expansion came out. Destiny never had the game killing bugs that NMS has.

• Like 1

Yeah, I got caught on the hype train for this one. I still like the idea of the game with the random worlds and that sort of stuff, but there just really, really isn't enough to sustain it for an extended period of time at this point.

I don't know if it's one of those things that's going to develop over time, though if Hello Games' initial reaction is any indicator, I think the answer to that is a solid "no."

That's basically with the epitaph for No Man's Sky is. . .it could have been so much more, but it's not. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I loaned it to my brother, and he was kinda like me. He had fun exploring at first, and doing what he had to do to update his ship. But then he read online how far he was from the middle and realized the game was just going to be warping from place to place with little variety and he stopped playing. Between the two of us we put in about 40 hours so I think I got my money's worth, but the game was certainly lacking once the initial excitement waned, even though I think it had some great ideas. Looks like it is still tanking on Steam in terms of active players, we are well past the initial spike when it was released so that can't be a good sign.

What I find interesting is currently the developers seemed to have 'gone dark.' No updates since late September, both twitter feeds haven't posted since then (the main developer and Hello Games) nor the website. I don't know if they are working on a big update or are figuring out the finances to see if they can afford to support the game like they intended, but after being so socially active I don't see it has a good sign as if something big was coming they'd probably be talking about it. Its good they fixed most of the technical issues but they mentioned all along all the stuff they'd add to the game and so far nothing. Probably a cautionary tale somewhere in there for both developers and gamers, although probably not one anyone will learn from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think if they keep pushing updates, this is one of those games that the "final" edition will be a pretty solid game. Not earth shattering, but if the current NMS is used as base there is a lot to grow on. I don't think going dark for a few months was a wise move as it just made people more and more pissed off, but at least they were working on it.

I don't really understand how bases work since its a game you're constantly moving so why would you need a base, but we'll see how they do it.

• 8 months later...

For those that abandoned the game - it appears that this is the update that is bringing folks back to it

I will definitely still give the game a try... someone just needs to gift me a PS4 first

I jumped back in for about 10 minutes last night. It was only about 10 minutes of play time, but it's certainly a whole lot different. I quit in vanilla NMS. This may have me playing more frequently.

At the same time though, I'm about to get into Elite: Dangerous and that may scratch my space exploring itch more than anything.

I was one of the few that found the original version entertaining for awhile, but my current goal is to wait until they are finally done updating it before playing it again. However long that takes. I still like the base gameplay, it just needed more "life" which appears to what they are working on.

Amazon has it on PS4 for $24 digitally, I'm sure its worth that for those into the game style.

Future update is supposedly actual multiplayer type shit. They kinda have that now.

I don't know. It's still the same mundane fire your laser to mine stuff, jet pack further, mine stuff, jet pack back to your ship, mine stuff. 

The type of mundane space stuff I like is when you're contracted to haul some freight from one system to another and maybe some shit happens along the way. Maybe at some point you decide to enlist as a fighter pilot and let your shipping business be run by NPCs. 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The type of mundane space stuff I like is when you're contracted to haul some freight from one system to another and maybe some shit happens along the way. Maybe at some point you decide to enlist as a fighter pilot and let your shipping business be run by NPCs. 

It seems like they're headed that way with this update.  There are guilds and mission boards and shit now, and they seem to be making strides towards trading being a viable path.

I enjoyed vanilla NMS quite a bit, and I think the patches have been a big step in the right direction in terms of giving the game some structure and depth.