DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

I'm going to channel my inner Big Fresh and get this started early.

For some reason, I'm really looking forward to this game (PS4 version). I mean, I'm not sure what the objective is (other than the rather vague "reach the center of the galaxy" thing), but something about it intrigues the hell out of me. I don't know if it's the space exploration angle or the randomness of what's out there to be discovered, but this looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

I just really wish they'd release more info about it. Hopefully they'll reveal some more about it at E3.

• Like 1

I'm going to channel my inner Big Fresh and get this started early.

What's funny is that I saw the topic and was shocked Fresh wasn't the one who started the thread

• Like 1

Yeah this will either be the greatest game of the year, or another Just Cause. "The world is MASSIVE but it's really the same 6 things repeated 42 000 times".

Very curious to see how it goes though. The potential in the idea is just immense.

• 1 month later...

I am all the way in on this game. I'm just expecting space minecraft. Nobody should be expecting an amazing story or anything like that. It's going to be a massive open world exploration game where to can craft, trade, and fight. I think the way the game is designed it's going to be more vast style wise than Minecraft. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is it just wildlife, other players and robits on the surfaces of planets? This would be an awesome platform for a Star Trek-esque game if there were civilizations in different stages of development on the odd planet. Maybe sometime in the near future. Looks tremendous but if you included the above, it would be an absolute dream game for me.

Is it just wildlife, other players and robits on the surfaces of planets? This would be an awesome platform for a Star Trek-esque game if there were civilizations in different stages of development on the odd planet. Maybe sometime in the near future. Looks tremendous but if you included the above, it would be an absolute dream game for me.

I think it's mostly an exploration thing. The Wikipedia page for it has a little more about it.

No Man's Sky is a first-person, open universe survival game. Players take the role of a planetary explorer in an uncharted galaxy. They are equipped with a survival spacesuit with a jetpack, a "multitool" which can be used to scan, mine, and collect resources as well as to attack or defend oneself from creatures and other entities while on a planet, and a spacecraft that allows them to land and take-off from planets and travel between them and engage in combat with other space-going vessels. The player-character is looking to collect information on the planets and the lifeforms and other features of these planets to upload to The Atlas, a galactic database as depicted in the game's cover artwork, which they are paid for with units, the in-game currency. Units are used to purchase new survival gear, tools, and spacecraft with more powerful abilities and defenses, allowing the player to explore more of the galaxy and survive in more hostile environments. Such upgrades can work in synergistic effects; the scanning feature of the multitool initially starts as a short-ranged directed beam, but can be upgraded to have much longer range, spanning all directions, and locating minerals and other resources buried in the ground.

The player's ability to explore planets is only limited by the range of the hyperspace jump engines of their current spacecraft and how much fuel that the craft presently carries. The player will be able to view a galactic map to plot courses between systems, which will be updated as other players upload their findings to the Atlas. There will exist numerous features in the space between planets, including ships and fleets belonging to various factions which may be hostile to the player or which the player may wish to engage in space combat. The player's actions will influence how the faction treats them in future encounters; for example by helping a faction win a space battle against a rival one earlier, they may in turn help protect the players from a different faction later. There will also be various space bases where the player can engage in trading of resources and goods in a free market system; one such base will exist in every planetary system so that players will always have the ability to buy fuel to make hyperspace jumps to other systems. The player will be able to use resources they have collected to craft new goods, though they will be required to determine the recipes for these on their own or to purchase from vendors. This can enable players to collect rare elements found in a remote part of the galaxy and craft them to make highly desirable goods that they can sell. Such stations will also sell new equipment to the player with rotating stock.

Taking resources from a planet or harming the lifeforms on it will cause the player to gain a "wanted level" similar to that of the Grand Theft Auto series, attracting the attention of robot-like Sentinels that patrol the planets. Low wanted levels may cause small drones to appear which may be easily fought off, while giant walking machines can assault the player at higher wanted levels. The player-character can die in a number of fashions, such as by sustained damage from a toxic or oxygen-less planetary environment, attacks from dangerous lifeforms or Sentinels, or being destroyed in space combat with a number of different computer-controlled space-going factions that control sectors of the galaxy. If the player-character dies, they will respawn near their spacecraft if they died on the planet surface, or will respawn at a nearby spaceport if they died in space combat; in either situation, they will lose all information that they have not yet uploaded to the Atlas and other resources collected since, but retain all of the gear they have already acquired.

• Like 1

I'm cautious about this game. I hope it's amazing, but they're promising a lot. I'm afraid this could be a Peter Molyneux situation.

I agree.  The games that promise the most tend to deliver the least so I am wary of this title.

• 4 months later...

Nope. I'm still very skeptical of this game in general. If anything, I'll get the $60 one, and I'm not even sure about that right now.

Also, I'd never play on PC.

PC-ist!

• 2 months later...

We're within a month of release now. YAY!

Of course, I get to wait a few days since I decided on the $80 edition and have to wait for them to ship the damn thing across the pond before I can start playing it.

But we're still almost there!