DVDVR Message Board

70's WRESTLING (formerly: HOLY CRAP! WAHOO MCDANIEL vs JOHNNY VALENTINE! 1974!

DEAN

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, Oyaji said:

I found his coverage of his time booking Georgia to be fascinating. It's a legitimately informative book laced with unending hatred and bitterness.

I just finished reading it myself. He seemed to only like Buzz Sawyer, His Dad, Gene Anderson, Danny Hodge, Verne Gagne , Bill Watts. I love the story about him calling Buzz Sawyer & The Road Warriors as his back-ups to a hotel meeting with the Brisco's.

The chapter(s) dealing with the Briscos selling Georgia out from under his nose were so engrossing. All the booking details he goes through, like how he built up Tommy Rich on his arrival to Georgia by feeding him to Abby in three straight matches, but each match Rich would get more in, make dealing with the vitriol so worth it. Plus, sometimes him just shitting on everything and everybody is fun to read too. Of the Crowbar Press books I've read, that one ranks up high on the list. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, Oyaji said:

The chapter(s) dealing with the Briscos selling Georgia out from under his nose were so engrossing. All the booking details he goes through, like how he built up Tommy Rich on his arrival to Georgia by feeding him to Abby in three straight matches, but each match Rich would get more in, make dealing with the vitriol so worth it. Plus, sometimes him just shitting on everything and everybody is fun to read too. Of the Crowbar Press books I've read, that one ranks up high on the list. 

I have Stan Hansen's book on the way to the mailbox hopefully this weekend.

I am the biggest Stan Hansen mark but his book was a bit disappointing. The thing I remember most from it was the story about him being a kid in a Texas (I believe) elementary school and the teachers and students cheering at the news of JFK's assassination. I was looking forward to reading stories about how they put matches together between gaijin and natives in All Japan and stuff like that, but you get very little of that. He's very diplomatic and doesn't lash out at many people. Still a good read but ultimately disappointing. THOUGH, mine came with an autographed photo of Stan's, so hopefully your book does too!

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I am the biggest Stan Hansen mark but his book was a bit disappointing. The thing I remember most from it was the story about him being a kid in a Texas (I believe) elementary school and the teachers and students cheering at the news of JFK's assassination. I was looking forward to reading stories about how they put matches together between gaijin and natives in All Japan and stuff like that, but you get very little of that. He's very diplomatic and doesn't lash out at many people. Still a good read but ultimately disappointing. THOUGH, mine came with an autographed photo of Stan's, so hopefully your book does too!

Bummer. I was hoping that it would be more like the Ole book or Bobby Backlund book. Wish I had grabbed the Gary Hart book before it became out of my price range.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:20 AM, Thunderlips said:

Bummer. I was hoping that it would be more like the Ole book or Bobby Backlund book. Wish I had grabbed the Gary Hart book before it became out of my price range.

Since you're new here you probably don't know this but there's a full .pdf of the Hart book floating around. PM me if you want the link

Having to watch with the sound off at work, but holy smokes, don't pass on the 1973 AWA show.  Wahoo and Superstar Graham each get fed jobbers, which is fun, but the best thing is a long match with Murdoch & Rhodes versus Billy Robinson and a young skinny Don Muraco. Plus a midget tag team match! And Rene Goulet! And a quick cameo by an impossibly young Sgt. Slaughter, looking kind of lost while a bunch of other guys carry off an injured wrestler (no spoiler!).

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, Oyaji said:

I know Ole is a grump fella these days, but he was one helluva booker. He made money everywhere. I also liked the Harley Race story and the 10% the NWA Champ would get.

• 1 month later...

I believe the date on the Bull Curry-Johnny Valentine match from Houston is June 20, 1969

6/20/69 Houston
Bull Curry no contest Johnny Valentine, Wahoo McDaniel beat Gary Hart, Thunderbolt Patterson beat Baron Von Raschke dq, Buster Lloyd beat George Geiser, Reggie Parks drew Alex Perez, Danny Pleachas beat Gorilla Lopez

6/20/69 Houston
Bull Curry no contest Johnny Valentine
Wahoo McDaniel beat Gary Hart
Thunderbolt Patterson beat Baron Von Raschke dq
Buster Lloyd beat George Geiser
Reggie Parks drew Alex Perez
Danny Plechas beat Gorilla Lopez.

18 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

I believe the date on the Bull Curry-Johnny Valentine match from Houston is June 20, 1969

6/20/69 Houston
Bull Curry no contest Johnny Valentine, Wahoo McDaniel beat Gary Hart, Thunderbolt Patterson beat Baron Von Raschke dq, Buster Lloyd beat George Geiser, Reggie Parks drew Alex Perez, Danny Pleachas beat Gorilla Lopez

6/20/69 Houston
Bull Curry no contest Johnny Valentine
Wahoo McDaniel beat Gary Hart
Thunderbolt Patterson beat Baron Von Raschke dq
Buster Lloyd beat George Geiser
Reggie Parks drew Alex Perez
Danny Plechas beat Gorilla Lopez.

It is, but I didn't want to make a new thread.