DVDVR Message Board

70's WRESTLING (formerly: HOLY CRAP! WAHOO MCDANIEL vs JOHNNY VALENTINE! 1974!

DEAN

That's what I mean. I don't remember Harley getting that many clean wins in his title defenses. Usually there was a foot on the rope or tug on the trunks or outside interference with him. (Of course, the majority of Race defenses I saw in person were against Dusty, so that may skew it.) But that finish looked more like one from a Dory Funk or Jack Brisco match.  

That's what I mean. I don't remember Harley getting that many clean wins in his title defenses. Usually there was a foot on the rope or tug on the trunks or outside interference with him. (Of course, the majority of Race defenses I saw in person were against Dusty, so that may skew it.) But that finish looked more like one from a Dory Funk or Jack Brisco match.  

I would say that screwy finishes for NWA title matches weren't common at all until Flair got the belt. Even then he would go broadway more than we would have a count out or even screwier finishes.  I think I saw four Race title defenses when I was a youth and I think all of them were clean except for AWESOME BlackJack Mulligan match where he piledrove Race on the concrete.  Which was basically attempted murder in 1978.

The clean win was kind of a shock, wasn't it?

NWA title match is a whole different animal.

Paul Jones recorded a clean pinfall over Ric Flair in a non-title match (Flair was the NWA Mid-Atlantic HW Champ at the time) at the Colonial Heights High School Gym in 1979.  I was in Row 2 screaming my head off.

It was a better time.

• Like 1

I would say that screwy finishes for NWA title matches weren't common at all until Flair got the belt. Even then he would go broadway more than we would have a count out or even screwier finishes.  I think I saw four Race title defenses when I was a youth and I think all of them were clean except for AWESOME BlackJack Mulligan match where he piledrove Race on the concrete.  Which was basically attempted murder in 1978.

I generally agree, but trust me, there were plenty of screwy Harley finishes in Florida. Of course, I was at the arena for screwy finishes involving Thesz and Brisco, too...

I generally agree, but trust me, there were plenty of screwy Harley finishes in Florida. Of course, I was at the arena for screwy finishes involving Thesz and Brisco, too...

Well, I would definately agree but since I don't think I saw more than five clean finishes over a face until I was 20 years old, it skews kinda weird.

• Like 1

More Gene and Ole Anderson, the Minnesota Wrecking Crew.

----------------------

Mr Wrestling Tim Woods!

• Like 1

MY CHILDHOOD HAS BEEN RESTORED~!  LOOK AT THE BLOOD~!

I remember watching that tape on an episode of Mid Atlantic!  They showed that clip right before a match where Snuka "cracked" Greg Peterson's ribs with multiple splashes and the guy was kayfabe stretchered out.

I love how heel Snuka wore boots and I guess it was also the rule that all evil Pacific Islanders had to have shaggy facial hair.

I really want to see more Rocky Johnson in the 70s now...

I think Rocky hit his stride in the 80's.   His stuff in Portland was phenomenal.  There is probably more 80's Rocky out there than 70's Rocky.

The high spot of that short clip is the number of times Rocky soupbones Ole Anderson directly into the cranium right after the hot tag.  It is king sized.

Ted and Jerry Oates!  Goddam, we need to find more Jaques Goulet.

-----------------------

Oates and Big John Studd!

-----------------------

Ooooo, this just showed up.

• Like 1