DVDVR Message Board

70's WRESTLING (formerly: HOLY CRAP! WAHOO MCDANIEL vs JOHNNY VALENTINE! 1974!

DEAN

This feud is what got stiff, strong style over in the Carolina territories, which had been a tag team territory before Valentine showed up.  This is the feud that redirected the crowd towards my personal favorite style of wrestling.  Both these guys would lay it in,

• Like 9

HOLY SHIT! Thanks for this, Dean. Had no idea it was out there. Reliving my childhood in a big way. I saw these guys go at it many times in Jacksonville a few years before this clip. This gives a little hint of what Wahoo was like before he got old, fat and immobile, and gives you a taste of classic Valentine. Whoever the ref is in this match is pretty great, too. And they did the Pedro/Ivan finish! 

All 3 would go on to form a rag-tag group of mercenaries for hire, they didn't use guns, just their wits and chops.

• Like 1

THE MINNESOTA WRECKING CREW!

---------------------

Murdoch vs Blackwell.

----------------------

MORE MINNESOTA WRECKING CREW!

This is fucking great.

Jesus Christ, why has no one used Jones's Crucifix submission as a finisher in this day and age?  It is even more relevant today given the current use of MMA / BJJ subs in today's graps.

• Like 1

Ciclone Negro is the gift that keeps giving.

Just wish there was more footage of him as a babyface. He had great balance, was very smooth and did all kinds of cool moves as a good guy that he couldn't do as a heel.

Has all of this stuff just hit the Internet or has it been around for awhile.

A lot of it is just hitting the internet now.

This feud is what got stiff, strong style over in the Carolina territories, which had been a tag team territory before Valentine showed up.  This is the feud that redirected the crowd towards my personal favorite style of wrestling.  Both these guys would lay it in,

That was so worth the watch. Basic as hell but all the little things add up: Johnny selling like he was being tased on the mat, him falling directly into Wahoo at one point, basically being a tree that Wahoo has to literally chop down with his bare hands. You get to see all the things that Flair stole from the faceplant to the elbow drop to the chops to the high falling back suplex. And Johnny busts out the Hammer! The crowd's reaction at the end was great too, you can see the cops immediately surround ringside just in case somebody wants to get cute. 

• Like 2