DVDVR Message Board

NXT UNSTOPPABLE

RIPPA

Having talked non storyline-related shit on Lynch and Emma so far, it seems Corey Graves loves to shit on the women on commentary.  What's up with that?  Also, the grown man whose indy name was a ripoff of the Tool lead singer and looks like he fell into a vat of Hot Topic probably shouldn't be casting stones.

Ring announcer pet peeve: If one member of a team has a first and last name and the other just has one name, announce the single-name person second so they don't sound like relatives.  IE "Emma and Dan Brook" sounds like a hot new tag team, The Brook Sisters.

• Like 1

Cornette was right about Rollins too.

Sasha/Becky was fantastic. Not sure it was at the level of Lesnar/Reigns but it was a MOTYC for sure. Love Owens having all these feuds lined up.

First hour of the show felt like a decent episode of Main Event.

Having talked non storyline-related shit on Lynch and Emma so far, it seems Corey Graves loves to shit on the women on commentary.  What's up with that?  Also, the grown man whose indy name was a ripoff of the Tool lead singer and looks like he fell into a vat of Hot Topic probably shouldn't be casting stones.

I think that's the point. Corey is mostly the heel color commentator so him shitting on Lynch is a knock on him throwing stones from his glass house. I think his issue with Lynch was brought up with maybe Saxton "quoting" Becky about how much of a wannabe hipster Graves is and Corey subtly admitting she was right

Cornette was right about some stuff and wrong about others. The same can be said about any other promoter up to and including the McMahons.

There's about three things Bischoff did right in his whole career: 1) Bring in a bunch of extremely talented Japanese, Mexican and indy wrestlers, 2) Get Hogan to turn heel at just the right time, 3) Keep Sting-Hogan on slow-burn and stick to that.

And then he proceeded to not give a shit about #1, let #2 run rampant over his promotion, and completely fuck up the endgame on #3.

Graves' shots at Becky have always been semi-serious, if at all, ("I was flying into Portland and I saw she'd tweeted that I was a hipster. I nearly spilled my craft beer!") and he has always made sure to pair them with putting over her wrestling ability at the same time.

• Like 2

Graves' shots at Becky have always been semi-serious, if at all, ("I was flying into Portland and I saw she'd tweeted that I was a hipster. I nearly spilled my craft beer!") and he has always made sure to pair them with putting over her wrestling ability at the same time.

I forgot that one.  I was talking about him saying something like, "you can't buy your persona at Hot Topic" or something like that, and he didn't pair it with any kind of praise at all, just outright talking shit.  I was like, holy shit...pot, meet kettle.

They've been playing that since Becky picked up the "rocker chick" gimmick.  They occasinally snipe at each other on Twitter, and other announcers will occasionally call Graves on it.  

I give Graves a bit of leeway, since he's been improving, and he's not at that sweet spot yet of good heel color guy that can talk shit about a person while putting them over in the same sentence yet.

Just finished up watching Unstoppable. Wow. Holy shit. What a batshit crazy show from top to bottom.

And chanting "What a father" at the end? Damn. Coooooooooooold bloooooooooded.

Just finished up watching Unstoppable. Wow. Holy shit. What a batshit crazy show from top to bottom.

And chanting "What a father" at the end? Damn. Coooooooooooold bloooooooooded.

The NXT crowd does tak some heat and it's usually deserved, but between the reaction for Becky post match and the "What a Father" chant, give them a A+ for yesterday.

The problem is that it maybe hits too close to home with Becky and thus buries her no matter her intent. The Lita stuff is kind of embarrassing since she's so much better that Lita. Hopefully the Steampunk Fifth Element thing will work out for her.

• Like 1

Sasha Banks is a beautiful woman who wrestles like 06 Daniel Bryan and talks in ring trash like Mark Henry. 

I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, but Becky Lynch was dressed up like a magic card last night. Maybe HHH is booking toward a dominant cosplay faction with her, Balor and Blue Pants. 

• Like 1

Sasha Banks is a beautiful woman who wrestles like 06 Daniel Bryan and talks in ring trash like Mark Henry. 

I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, but Becky Lynch was dressed up like a magic card last night. Maybe HHH is booking toward a dominant cosplay faction with her, Balor and Blue Pants. 

I would love to see that happen, honestly.  It might not happen if Balor gets called up, but that would be a helluva pairing.

Balor's entrance was some next level stuff with the spiked cape and eyeball on the back.  He's a great wrestler, but with the specials it's still mainly about his entrance.  Really wish he'd be more vicious to reflect his demon form.  But it was good match against Tyler, who had a killer entrance as well.

Bayley and Charlotte as friends is a beautiful thing to see.  Going from Bayley's quest to be respected by her to now Charlotte willfully hugging her is a great story in and of itself.  It's one of those things where if you watch this from the start you're rewarded with cool shit like this.

Nothing wrong with Rhino/Corbin (right guy won) or the tag title match, but they're not standouts.  Didn't see Alexa as Trish-like in terms of looks until the heel turn.  Holy cow, more of this please.

It's amazing how so damn good Sasha/Becky was.  If it was a lesser woman looking like Becky did I'd be way too focused on that.  But the match overshadowed any trivial thoughts like that and was far away the MOTN.  And it's weird a match technically under the WWE banner is a surefire MOTY candidate, but this is.  The arm work was on point and the action was tremendous.  What sealed it for sure was Becky's reaction.  It reminded me of Okada's tear-filled reaction at the Tokyo Dome show and that's a good thing.  I need to see this again ASAP.

It's great they did a hate-filled match with Zayn/Owens that really put Sami in no danger in regards to the shoulder.  That was well laid out.

Still can't believe Joe showed up.  I saw him last time when ROH came to Baltimore and there was that feeling he'd be WWE-bound.  I know he's go the Rhyno contract, but it's crazy to think I had one more chance to see him live before going there.  I let out an audible scream before biting the crap out of my shirt when he came out.  It hasn't even sunk in yet how many ROH/indy guys from years past are now in NXT and WWE.  I'm going to look back at this a few years from now and go "Holy shit, did that really happen?!"  And what's cool is now you have Uhaa Nation who is kind of on the "newer" generation of indy stars due to Evolve and the like.

More often than not I get more excited for LU than NXT on Wednesday nights.  But this show is a clear reminder that you can have multiple flavors of wrestling on a national basis and it can be SSSOOOOOOO much fun to watch.  What a wonderfully crazy time we're in, folks.

Joe appearing last night was the wrestling equivalent of the Men in black memory eraser.

'Hey remember that time Joe had a penis tattoo on his face?'

'Nope'

It's like the real Joe from 2004 woke up out of stasis and wandered into NXT at random.

• Like 7

Has WWE ever done a 60 minute Ironman match with the divas? Because I would pay good money for one to occur between Lynch and Banks

As much as I want to see that the last time Knox was booked for a 60 minute Ironwoman she got hurt before the match and was out of wrestling for several years.