DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-18-15

MGFanJay

I thought you were using hyperbole but Nikki has only defended 4 times this calendar year in a "taped" match (Granted two were PPVs - Fast Lane and Extreme Rules)

She clearly studied the ways of Dean Ambrose

Well if anyone should be his apprentice it's Nikki.

• Like 2

For coming out of nowhere, EC looks like it should be a pretty fun show.

I love that they're going back to Seth/Dean one on one for the title. Those two have great chemistry and it's nice to see Ambrose being relevant again. Also no Roman or Orton in sight.

Cena/Owens is worth the price of the network alone.

Neville/Dallas is a neat call-back to their NXT days, and it'll be good for Neville to have a program he can definitively win.

The tag chamber should be a spectacular clusterfuck. I'm pretty surpised Harper/Rowan weren't involved but both The Matadors and The Ascension made the cut. It's all about New Daw/BRC anyway, with Kalisto throwing in a couple big spots I'm sure.

The IC chamber is really the only uninteresting match. Same old aimless midcarders (plus R-Truth who is inexplicably still hanging around a title scene of any kind), and yes, Rusev is part of that crowd now too. He just got initiated with the "fail going after the IC/US belt, immediately go after the other with no transition" angle. The Lana/Ziggler stuff is really flat too.

I think the last few weeks have been the best streak of good Raws since they went to 3 hours. It's a weird time for them to be doing so well creatively since this might be the most content they've produced in a single month.

How does aligning Lana with Ziggler turn Lana into a bigger star?  He's not nearly as over as he used to be. You can argue she's more over than he is. I don't think it will help him either because it's not about the two of them and their act... it's about her. 

Rusev plugged randomly into the I.C title match with the other midcarders so all this "they protected him!" stuff went nowhere. He's in the position that we all feared they would place him. Lost in a sea of random guys they have nothing for.

How does aligning Lana with Ziggler turn Lana into a bigger star?  He's not nearly as over as he used to be. You can argue she's more over than he is. I don't think it will help him either because it's not about the two of them and their act... it's about her. 

Rusev plugged randomly into the I.C title match with the other midcarders so all this "they protected him!" stuff went nowhere. He's in the position that we all feared they would place him. Lost in a sea of random guys they have nothing for.

Well if we follow the Sable route Rusev is actually HHH and Ziggler is Marc Mero.

The tag scene is pretty awesome right now. And it's only gonna get better because NXT has a bunch of cool teams: Ascension were probably the worst ones down there. Only caveat: I hope they pull a last second switcharoo and have Harper/Rowan beat up Los Matadors and take their place in the Chamber because that's really the only team I have no interest of ever seeing again. Plus Harper is super awesome at working with small flippy guys like Kidd and Kalisto.

My only qualm with this is that if Harper/Rowan aren't going to win, I don't want them in this.

Mero had better offense though. Let's not even compare the awesomeness of The Wild Thing or his TKO against the fucking ZIG ZAG.

Ziggler is about as interesting as Marc Mero so you might be on to something.

I've always wanted Orton to pull out a TKO as an RKO variation. The Zig Zag is fine as a signature move. Ziggler should've transitioned full time to the super kick as a finish once Michaels was retired for a bit.

• Like 1

I've always wanted Orton to pull out a TKO as an RKO variation. The Zig Zag is fine as a signature move. Ziggler should've transitioned full time to the super kick as a finish once Michaels was retired for a bit.

Seth already stole that from him.

This "Ziggler isn't over/any good" nonsense sure came out of nowhere. It's as true as Owens' promo not being any good. Which is to say, not at all...

• Like 4

I;m just saying he should not be put in a position to talk. Just beat people up.

Negative. I couldn't give less of a shit about Neville and it's because he doesn't talk. Why should I care about a guy that doesn't speak? You can't build a story around a fucking mute.

Edit: Also, the first thing I thought about Owens when I watched his NXT stuff was how his mic work sucked. Last night seemed better to me than what I'd seen before.

Neville just got live mic time last night. He shouldn't ever again though.

It didn't help that Renee Young was towering over him either.

Good God man, she had, maybe an inch on him...and I'm sure she was wearing heels.

Hyperbole, in the Infomation Age, thefuckyousay??!?!

I have never liked Dolph Ziggler. He has never been anything more than a dude with super shitty offense and cartoon bumps with some of the worst promo delivery in the WWE. This is not a new opinion for me. I think the "Dolph sucks" sentiment has grown to counter the inexplicable "Dolph should be main eventing" thing.

I do often wonder if all these "Dolph Ziggler is great!" people were saying the same thing about Billy Gunn back in his singles run.

I have never liked Dolph Ziggler. He has never been anything more than a dude with super shitty offense and cartoon bumps with some of the worst promo delivery in the WWE. This is not a new opinion for me. I think the "Dolph sucks" sentiment has grown to counter the inexplicable "Dolph should be main eventing" thing.

I do often wonder if all these "Dolph Ziggler is great!" people were saying the same thing about Billy Gunn back in his singles run.

I wasn't. I liked the NAO early on, before it became overbearing, but Billy was put on this earth to be a tag team wrestler. There's no shame in it. I tend to attribute most of what I don't like about Dolph to creative that often seems adversarial...

Negative. I couldn't give less of a shit about Neville and it's because he doesn't talk. Why should I care about a guy that doesn't speak? You can't build a story around a fucking mute. 

Greetings Mr.Russo

There are many stories you can build around someone who does not speak very often. Being pro wrestling he can be a large ugly man who wants to hurt a small pretty man. Or a small man who is very skilled and you are intrigued about how he would fare against the current champion. 

There are many many wrestlers who for whatever reason chose not to speak often and had very productive careers. 

• Like 1

I find Dolph Ziggler to be an innately likeable fellow and great plucky babyface...I also completely agree with BP that they should have let him use the superkick as his finish by now cause the Zig Zag doesn't really cut it, and it seemed silly for Rusev to sell it as a KO move...

• Like 1

Who came up with this nonsense about not caring about a wrestler who doesn't speak? Were they around when Muto was in WCW? The guy could have held either the US title or even big goldy, that's how over he was without speaking a word of English. Perhaps a guy named La Parka rings a bell? Should have been pushed to the moon as over as he was, but WCW was being run by chuckleheads. I will fall back on my own comments back in the day "If you can't figure out how to get over a guy that wears a skeleton costume, dances and hits people with chairs then you have no business in the wrestling business." A fucking chimpanzee would have figured out how to monetize the character with La Parka ever having to say a word.

As for Neville, he's not a horrible promo guy, but he's very, very average. I would use Benoit as a pretty good comparison, comes across as a very serious ass-kicker but with very little flair or panache. I have absolutely no problem with guys like that, they bring a hint of realism to the proceedings.

Greetings Mr.Russo

There are many stories you can build around someone who does not speak very often. Being pro wrestling he can be a large ugly man who wants to hurt a small pretty man. Or a small man who is very skilled and you are intrigued about how he would fare against the current champion. 

There are many many wrestlers who for whatever reason chose not to speak often and had very productive careers. 

• Like 2