DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

I disagree. Memphis, San Antonio, LA Clippers and Houston Rockets are all better than Chicago and much better than Atlanta. It's not even close. Cleveland might very well be the best team and win the championship but the road there is far from equal.

• Like 1

I disagree. Memphis, San Antonio, LA Clippers and Houston Rockets are all better than Chicago and much better than Atlanta. It's not even close. Cleveland might very well be the best team and win the championship but the road there is far from equal.

I think we agree in part, and I probably was not clear. The road is obviously tougher in the West, only a fool would try and argue otherwise. Despite that, I would argue that with every round being seven games, the better team wins almost exclusively. Obviously there are exceptions, but not enough for it to matter. The two best teams generally meet in the finals, which means that despite the disparity at the bottom of the conferences, the overall competition is not undermined. 

GS has pretty much faced the path of least resistance up until this point.  If Mike Conley wasn't such a tough guy they would have faced NO resistance.  

For all the West is best talk, that side of the bracket has been similarly underwhelming.  No KD/Russ, Spurs with the tough draw, everyone else banged up or missing valuable players...

Not trying to take anything away from the Rockets, because I still think they will make this series competitive, but it's not like GS has been in a dogfight over the last month.  I would say Bull/Cavs was a tougher series than anything GS will have to deal with until the finals.

I looked at the East-West brackets from the last couple of years. This doesn't take into account teams that missed the playoffs that would have seeded in the East. The path is not the same. JR, the part of your argument I disagree with is that the overall competition is not undermined. 

Every team #2-7 would have been the #2 seed in the East

#8 Seed Dallas last year would have been #3 in the East. 

#8 seed Rockets would have been tied for 5th in the East

Seeds were comparable in the lockout shortened season

#8 Seed Grizzlies would have been #5 in the East

#8 Seed Thunder would have been #4 in the East

GS has pretty much faced the path of least resistance up until this point.  If Mike Conley wasn't such a tough guy they would have faced NO resistance.  

For all the West is best talk, that side of the bracket has been similarly underwhelming.  No KD/Russ, Spurs with the tough draw, everyone else banged up or missing valuable players...

Not trying to take anything away from the Rockets, because I still think they will make this series competitive, but it's not like GS has been in a dogfight over the last month.  I would say Bull/Cavs was a tougher series than anything GS will have to deal with until the finals.

In the West, they should have the least path of resistance. They earned it. However, does Golden State have any problem with the Nets or Wizards? You're telling me that path is harder than NO & Memphis? That path is harder than Dallas and the Clippers? 

Cleveland went through Boston (sub 500 team) and a walking wounded Chicago. that is really a harder path than the aforementioned paths of GS and Rockets? Come on man.

I would say beating my (relatively healthy) Bulls in 6 is a bigger accomplishment/harder challenge than anything the Warriors have done so far.  

Cleveland would have swept NO too.  You know I love the Griz, but that team hasn't been right since the All Star Break.  Conley adding another injury to his collection and Tony Allen getting hurt mid series didn't help.  

The Rockets beating the Clips was a great series win, even if CP3 was hobbled. Houstin is shorthanded and playing Jason Terry 30 minutes a game though.  It's impressive that they are where they are, but my point about the competition for GS stands.

Considering just a few months ago we were talking about a potential OKC/GS first round matchup, an eventual meeting with the Spurs etc etc. The Golden State Warrios path to the finals is underwhelming.

I guess where I run in to disagreement with people is that I think that overall, despite the west having more good teams, the two best teams have ended up playing each other in the finals. I think that reseeding or conference elimination would not have changed the overall outcome to any of the eventual winners, and thus I feel that it is kind of irrelevant. The series are all long enough so that the cream rises to the top. 

• Like 1

Memphis, San Antonio, LA Clippers and Houston Rockets are all better than Chicago

I think only two of those teams would be favored against the Bulls in a 7 game series and neither of them played GS.  It's irrelevant because we couldn't beat Lebron, but considering matchups and health issues I don't think the Griz or Rockets would have been favored in Vegas.  

Side note: Cleveland, who had more relevant injuries than anyone, doesn't seem shorthanded at all.  Part of it is simply Lebron + shooters = favorites, but going from Kyrie and Love to Delly and Thompson is such an upgrade defensively.  It obviously doesn't make up for the injuries, but it will do in a pinch. 

Getting JR, Mozgov and Shump mid season seems almost unfair at this point.  What a lopsided trade.  I said so at the time, but damn does it need to be repeated.  Is it weird that I'm kind of rooting for Cleveland simply so JR can get a ring?

Jrag, I don't think Cleveland is quite as good as they looked last night, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a game at home because Lebron tries to win a game in "chill mode". I do think the trade clearly saved the season, especially when you view it as a 4 team trade that was Dion and picks for Shump, JR, and Mozgov. Griffin should have won executive of the year. I feel bad for the Hawks and Hawks fans. They won 60 games, got to the conference finals, and people are going to call them pretenders for all time. While they play a completely different style, they do remind me a lot of the pacers teams from the past couple years, in that they have a starting lineup that can play with anyone in the league, but in the playoffs the bench just hemorrhaged points. The lack of respect the Cavs have shown Shroder is unreal. Say what you want about Blatt, but the dude has serious balls for basically saying in every round "See this guy? We're not going to even try and guard him. Let's see what happens." Granted he probably can't do that against Golden State or Houston.

My only hope for this is that Lebron sees the importance of sweeping and goes in to kill mode. If Korver can't go and they have to start Bazemore and Carroll (who is tough as hell but obviously hurting) it's going to be really hard for the Hawks. They played the second half last night like they were beaten mentally, but every playoff team can make a run or get hot. If the Cavs can sweep and the Rockets win a couple at home, Kyrie could get 16 days off. That's about as good as you can hope for in the playoffs. 

Wasn't this board claiming Memphis king shit of fuck mountain following their game 3 victory over the Warriors? Now they're just a nothing team depleted by injuries? Before Allen's injury, tactical adjustments had rendered him pretty much a liability as he fucked the team's half-court sets (they gave him the Noah treatment) and Memphis is all about a half-court, slow paced offense. 

• Like 1

I think the point being missed by some is that the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls and would murder the Hawks.  The reason Golden State is up 2-0 on them and it's not yet a "dogfight" (although that's not entire fair because the games have been good) is because Golden State is really really good. They are great. They won 67 games. The Bulls wouldn't have done anything to Golden State. 

Cleveland is an interesting team because I believe if they had this same roster the whole year and LeBron didn't coast through the season they are also a clear 60+ win team. Maybe a 65-win team.

Listen, I like Chicago a lot and when they are healthy they have a ton of talent but their offense is atrocious to watch and Thibs has no idea what to do with what he has. Golden State is really good defensively. I don't think the series would be close.

I mean, the cool kids were all clearly rooting for Memphis, yes.  I would have been HYPED if they had won that series, but I doubt many people thought they would. Even after game 3.

From the time Marc got healthy last year til the ASB this year they were a legit top tier contender.  No doubt about that.  Look at Conley's #s pre and post ASB, though.  The dude was clearly not right.  His fucked up face got all the press, but his legs were the real problem.  They haven't been the same.

I think the point being missed by some is that the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls and would murder the Hawks. 

That is not a point, it's your opinion.  Which is cool and all, but let's not get carried away.  If they replayed the Clips/Rockets series would you bet on the Rockets?  I doubt it. Getting to the WCF is a great accomplishment and Harden is absurd, but I really don't think them beating Chicago in a series would be a forgone conclusion. Da Bulls would match up well against them.

I will not defend the Hawks.  

To go back to the initial topic/clarify my point.  In my opinion, for one reason or another, Golden State was able to avoid all 3 teams I thought could beat them.  It speaks to how tough the West is (and how shitty injuries are) that GS never had to play OKC/Spurs/Clips, but it's also sort of underwhelming considering where we were 3 months ago.

As fascinating as a GSW/LeBron final will be, I think we missed out on something special with the possible ATL/GSW final. Their regular season games were a blast and they play similar styles that are so easy on the eye. Could've been an all-time classic, and hey, Cleveland/GSW may be one in itself but damn... Has there been any articles on the Hawks' fall-off in the second half of the season? As an outsider, I wonder what happened to them because there doesn't seem to be an easy, surface level answer like with the Grizz.

NYC cops suck?  I know it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but holy hell could they use Thabo in this series.

Edit:  I think ATL was in top gear all season, while the teams with actual superstars were not.  That's my best explanation. 

Fixed

Wait...are you saying that this game, in which a team is down 25 at half, is fixed? As in the NBA is making the Warriors win by 25 at half? Are the Rockets in on it and missing open threes on purpose, or is the world just out to get them?

• Like 2

LOL..the worst kind of fan. My team can do nothing wrong. It's everyone else's fault. It's the ref. It's the league. My team doesn't foul. The other team fouled my guy. Fuck dude, sometimes, a team just gets outmatched and a game runs away from them. 

• Like 1

Houston would have beat Chicago in five. Six of the Bulls got really lucky.

But the real point here is that GSW has a serious shot at being the best team since the 96-97 Bulls.