DVDVR Message Board

Payback III

Dolfan in NYC

The wheels are in motion for Rusev to be just another guy who wins and loses in the mid-card, but I think the fact he had Cena pass out and ultimately ''win'' the match (to anyone with half a brain cell watching) shows a certain amount of protection from a booking perspective however retarded the rules are, that's totally something TNA would do and get shat on for years for it. Cena's still the priority feud in Vince's mind and has to win but It's not a total hatchet job like the Wyatt feud was. I just don't know where you go with either of them after it, but hell I could watch them beat the shit out of each other for the entire year and not get bored.

I'm not sure Rusev is in any worse spot then he was when the feud started.

If he splits wins with Jericho next, there's a problem.

Of course, no one would like what I think the next step for Rusev should be. (Clean decisive wins over Ambrose.)

The switchout finish to the tag match could be interpreted badly though,

That's what everyone is saying but you have to see what Xavier did.  He took off his jacket, ran in for the pin and then next time the camera was on him, he had his jacket back on.  Would this even be a thing if the Ascension did the same thing?  (Granted that's not a good comparison, but whatever)  That sort of tag finish has been done for years. 

• Like 1

I think there are those of us - okay I'm just speaking for myself - who can make the joke about them doing it but don't actual think there was anything nefarious behind it.

I mean I will be making the "the WWE only acknowledges Ernie Ladd during February!" joke until the end of my days because it amuses me.

That being said - they did go out of their way to make all the refs look incredibly stupid last night

• Like 1

Wow. The Fatal 4 Way was a lot of fun. Also, I saw a couple people mention it, but why would Rollins be turning face or why would HHH care that his golden boy won using his finisher? If that's HHH's chosen heir, you'd think he'd be fine with him using the Pedigree. Not only that, but HHH looked happy as hell at the very end. Sometimes I wonder if others are watching something completely different.

As for the spot Rusev is in now, it's absolutely worse than where he was when the feud started. First, on whether or not it matters that he had Cena beat, this happens all the time in wrestling where someone has someone else beat and it doesn't matter. No one gives a shit beyond those who want to grasp onto any little thing to defend someone they're interested in. Second, Rusev has lost the US title, had his winning streak ended, had the crowd care more about his manager, and he's about to have that relationship with his manager end. How is he not worse off now than when the feud started? This is like the stuff with Bray Wyatt all over again. People just don't want to believe that losing a feud to Cena is detrimental, but it is if you're not on Cena's level. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Batista and Randy Orton still thrive because they were higher up on the pecking order. Rusev could have reached that spot too with some wins over Cena, but that's obviously not going to happen now. From here on out, there's no saving Rusev because whatever his next feud is, it's going to be overshadowed by Lana. Even if he feuds with Orton next and kicks his ass, more fans are going to care about Lana. And I guess that's ultimately the direction they want to go in anyway, so maybe it's more a matter of us just accepting Rusev's place in the midcard. That acceptance sucks though, because it just means the top of the card isn't changing any time soon.

• Like 1

Since I love me some me - here are highlights from the DVDVR Twitter account last night (@D_V_D_V_R)

DVDVR @D_V_D_V_R  ·  15h 15 hours ago
Booker looks bombed out of his mind. Did he snort his glasses?

DVDVR @D_V_D_V_R  ·  14h 14 hours ago
I think Booker is freebasing those energy drinks

"A representation of what I represent" - well thanks for that Sheamus

I love Big E again

The WWE thinking all black guys look the same is one of the least shocking developments ever

DVDVR @D_V_D_V_R  ·  13h 13 hours ago
One can only hope that Meng and the Barbarian come out and jump Wyatt for trademark infringement

Did Ryback just do a fucking frog splash?!?!?!?!

Rusev trying to get the win via dropkick is an interesting strategy

Was there a prop bet on number of times Chioda asks the question because I wish I could have taken the over

If I was Cena I would quit... throwing those punches

I am always amused by Cena's "Oh did I just kill a man?" face

Rusev nodding Cena's head up and down in answer to the question is #1 and the best

DVDVR @D_V_D_V_R  ·  12h 12 hours ago
WE'RE TOO BIG!!! - Yup Big E is my favorite wrestler again

DVDVR @D_V_D_V_R  ·  12h 12 hours ago
Tamina will so be getting my vote for Comeback of the Year

And then I fell asleep

• Like 1

Since I love me some me - here are highlights from the DVDVR Twitter account last night (@D_V_D_V_R)

I am always amused by Cena's "Oh did I just kill a man?" face

That is fucking hilarious. I never thought about it like that.

Its about the follow up. If its decent Rusev will be fine.

Don't worry you guys, I'm sure the writers have learned their lesson after the Cena/Wyatt feud.

I'm not necessarily that optimistic. I just also think this would have been a problem regardless of when and whom Rusev started taking real losses from.
I was being sarcastic. Rusev is fucked.

I have issues with the heel asking a guy to quit before doing something heinous to the face.

Rusev shouldn't have empathy

That wasn't empathy so much as trying to psych an opponent out.

Its about the follow up. If its decent Rusev will be fine.

Don't worry you guys, I'm sure the writers have learned their lesson after the Cena/Wyatt feud.
I'm not necessarily that optimistic. I just also think this would have been a problem regardless of when and whom Rusev started taking real losses from.
I was being sarcastic. Rusev is fucked.

I know you were.

I fucking fell asleep two matches in but like what I'm reading about it.  Sheamus/Dolph was a lot of fun to start the show and I really liked the finish.  That kick to a kneeling Dolph looked great.  Loved the New Day tag title match.  They've really embraced being full on heel at this point talking shit to the crowd about the O's and Xavier is fucking awesome.  Him throwing off his vest and sliding in to ball up Cesaro when the ref wasn't looking and quickly sliding out and putting it back on was great.  Plus his "Yay! Kofi did it! Kofi did it!" at the end was awesome especially next to a confused Kofi. 

Really looking forward to catching the rest of this tonight.  On Rusev/Cena, I was not looking forward to this match at all.  They've done it way too much.  I agree they've really fucked Rusev.  They took a guy who already had a ton of hype and was undefeated and made him continually lose to Cena.  Why? It's just dumb. 

That's what everyone is saying but you have to see what Xavier did.  He took off his jacket, ran in for the pin and then next time the camera was on him, he had his jacket back on.  Would this even be a thing if the Ascension did the same thing?  (Granted that's not a good comparison, but whatever)  That sort of tag finish has been done for years. 

Oh no no, I know that the finish has been done since the beginning of tag wrestling where the teams have two guys of similar builds, and with Kofi and Xaiver wearing the exact same outfits and similar builds, that it was what they were going for, especially with Cole and JBL hammering home that the ref was looking at Kidd's shoulders and not Woods' face.  That, and Woods is a fucking awesome heel.

But I'm also pointing out that all things conisdered, its not hard to connect the dots to a very unfavorable opinion of the finish, given the WWE's history and all.  I mean, its not that far fetched, but then again, if that's what they were really going for, they would've been far more blatant with it.

Man, honestly, the worst match of the show was probably Neville/Barrett, and even that was good. There was nothing I actively didn't like, and there was a damn Bray Wyatt match on this show!

The only way that finish could be interpreted badly is if you're looking really hard for something to offended over. The way they did it all the ref could see was Woods' legs and feet when he had the cradle locked up, and he immediately rolled out before the ref could notice it was him. I thought it was well done. On the WWE scale of racially insensitive things to be offended over(and there have been many) I give this about a 1.5 out of 10.

• Like 1

Man, honestly, the worst match of the show was probably Neville/Barrett, and even that was good. There was nothing I actively didn't like, and there was a damn Bray Wyatt match on this show!

The only way that finish could be interpreted badly is if you're looking really hard for something to offended over. The way they did it all the ref could see was Woods' legs and feet when he had the cradle locked up, and he immediately rolled out before the ref could notice it was him. I thought it was well done. On the WWE scale of racially insensitive things to be offended over(and there have been many) I give this about a 1.5 out of 10.

No one would ever do that in 2015 and certainly not on the internet.

• Like 1

Here is a simple question to decide whether Rusev was "buried". 

Did he say "I Quit"? 

Looking at past PPV results, Cena has outright pinned Rusev one time and this was after Rusev pinned Cena at the previous ppv. 

Rusev worst case scenerio had a steady job as a gate keeper, kicking the shit out of midcarders and losing to main eventers. There are worse places to be, especially with Show and Henry slowing down. 

If anything Lana is in trouble because she is going into the divas division. Where she will be played with until her newness wears off and she gets thrown into the Bellas toy chest of jobbers. 

Also, it's pretty damn hard to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt when it comes to issues of race.

For one, I believe 100% this idea was suggest by Michael Hayes. Not because it's an established wrestling trope or anything but because Michael Hayes is a racist and thinks all black people look alike. Clearly this is the Correct and Logical View.

I generally fall somewhere in the middle in terms if how optimistic I am with regards to WWE booking, but I don't see any reason why people think Rusev will be buried or worse off after this. He won't be elevated to a main event feud as long as he has the US Title, so they took it off him and did so with a clear main eventer in Cena. He will be in a high profile angle with Lana after this that will keep him busy. They clearly have no plans to turn him face, so they won't throw him in a match for the big belt until Rollins loses. I see where people are coming from with the Wyatt comparisons, but Rusev is about a hundred orders of magnitude better in ring than him, which makes him more valuable and easier to move back up after a place holder feud.

It's always crappy to see someone lose when our fantasy booking doesn't line up with it, but that doesn't mean his career is over.

Also, it's pretty damn hard to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt when it comes to issues of race.

I think it would take WWE coming out and having The Best Team Ever be upset because the ref was so stupid for not knowing Xavier Woods was the one doing the pin. The fact that the ref was in the perfect position to see Cesaro's shoulders, Xavier's legs and then Woods ran like hell out of the ring while the ref got the tag belts, leads me to believe this was more off New Day playing off that they all have the same gear and Xavier and Kofi have similar body types.

Now I kind of want them to try the same finish tonight but with Xavier replacing Big E. and then getting caught with Xavier claiming that "Freebird Rules" state that in any match any member of New Day can enter the match

So, it appears, that Rusev was saying "I Quit" in Bulgarian.  Not sure if that will be what the WWE says.  But that sounds even worse than Lana giving up for him when he is not quitting.

Ok, so now I'm wondering.  Eden was very specific before the match, "The only way to win is by making your OPPONENT LITERALLY SAY THE WORDS, "I QUIT".  Rusev didn't literally say I Quit.  Will they play this up at all?  Ok, sure they will.  Does that mean we get more Cena/Rusev at the next three PPVs?

So, it appears, that Rusev was saying "I Quit" in Bulgarian.  Not sure if that will be what the WWE says.  But that sounds even worse than Lana giving up for him when he is not quitting.

Well Cole immediately was going "I have to assume he was giving up" so clearly he was given that line to say so yeah... I think that is the angle they are going with is that Lana snitched him out