DVDVR Message Board

Payback III

Dolfan in NYC

Why should it be controversial because two black guys you have similar build and hair be a big deal?

WWE doesn't have the best history. I'm not going to go crazy about it but I'd rather not see it.

Add this to the fact that the New Day gimmick has always been uncomfortable for carrying on "they're black, so they're friends!" tag team logic and that they ran it in Baltimore. It's not condemnable or anything but it is a little bit dodgy.

If Lana jabs a broken hunk of wood in Cena's eye instead of throwing in the towel it's MOTY. Oh well. A thousand blessings upon my hometown for being a great crowd.

• Like 1

Didn't dislike any of the matches.

Ryback vs. Wyatt was fun though I feel sorry for poor Ryback as I think he was legit injured. Cena/Rusev had its moments, but I'm not a fans of I Quit matches in general as the microphone is a bit overused. Whats more it feels like the type of match you can't do well w/o blood and hatred. i think this would have worked better as a submission match. Way more flexible. The divas tag was decent but belonged on Raw. Barrett/ Nevil was predictably good. I enjoyed the post match stuff more though.

New Day vs. Cesaro/Kidd and the main event were easily the best matches. I love New Day's gimmick and will be sad when they lose the belts. The Shield stuff in the main event was great. I especially love how they have managed to continue Dean and Roman's friendship. Its so rare these days outside of stables. Seth using the pedigree for the finish was great, and i hope he keeps it.

• Like 1

I don't get the hang-up about Kofi and Xavier doing the switcheroo.  The Fabs did it, The Bellas did/do it, the Dynamic Duo did it.  Why should it be controversial because two black guys you have similar build and hair be a big deal?

Well I would say its because after the first fall the ref said no to the free bird rule so just like with the Cena being knocked out.

My biggest issue with the I Quit wasn't the fact that the wrong guy went over or that the ol' SuperCena shtick keeps rolling on. It's more to do with how transparently obvious the finish was. Remove the weeks of Lana dissension spelling out the ending for you, watch it in a bubble and it almost makes it to the top tier in my book.

There were too many ASK HIM spots, but that's my only gripe of that match. I think a lot of us saw down Main St that this was the only finish that protected both of them.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this. I loved the match overall but I hope that ref never gets to do one again - or the agent who told Chioda to get the gimmick over by asking every 30 seconds is told to cool it. I've seen I dunno how many of those matches and never remember the ref sticking the mic in the guys face after literally every halfway decent spot. Usually they wait until the other guy says "Ask him!" It totally interrupted the flow of the match in so much as guys would get hit with instant death and they're trying to sell it while that goof is asking them a question.

Good on Rusev for straight up ignoring him half the time.

Xavier Woods is incredible.

Crowd:  "This is awesome!"

Woods:  "We are well aware!"

I also loved Woods trying to get into the match after the first fall by screaming "Freebird Rule!" at the ref.

I've been saying dive they broke up I couldn't wait for the moment in a rumble or chamber out similar when The Shield would run the ring and do the triple powerbomb.

Close enough.

This was one of the rare times I really the pg thing, because it made their cribbing of the Cena/Umaga finish way to tame and soft.

Eden Styles stated during the ring introductions that the match can only end when one opponent literally says "I Quit".  This is some Hogan beating Vader in a strap match by dragging Ric Flair to all four turnbuckles-level shit.

Not the point, but I would say he is in a better position. 

Really? Where does he go after losing to Cena on 3 straight PPVs?

How many of these losses were even remotely clean. 

He did not lose tonight, Lana gave up for him, he has a clear grievance. 

And if you can't survive losing to John Cena then you don't deserve any better. 

• Like 1