DVDVR Message Board

Payback III

Dolfan in NYC

Stardust-Truth can fuck off. Axelmania and Mandow is such a horrible team. It's like a low-budget indy doing the lowest-budget impression of Hogan and Savage. Sheamus-Dolph was good-ish at times, but really hurt by the commentary. Blood was something different though. Tag title match was a lot of fun. Ryback vs. Bray sucked. Cena vs. Rusev sucked a bit less, but wasn't good. Ditto the divas tag match. Neville-Barrett wasn't much. Main event was easily the best match on the show. Sure, Seth winning with the pedigree, and a bad one, wasn't good in theory - but it sets up the future well. They've been teasing Seth vs. HHH and it's now clear that's the plan for Summerslam.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/wwe-payback-2015.html

Screens -
e2ac41410303623.jpg

91cb59410303674.jpg

969ec3410311394.jpg

48dbc0410311534.jpg

Kickoff -
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/y5boruppo2qcilw7trrktrygtku9gu0f

Payback screens -
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/9lyv508dij2jijvk8phv71lx088yddln

I was so excited for the Rusev/Cena finish, I could taste it. Lana would become a real person, Rusev becomes a legendary bad ass, Cena finds his mean streak, Then Cena wrapped the rope around his nose. 

Ryback vs Bray was great, the Big Guy is bullet proof.

New Day is great and I'm proud to say I knew they would be from their debut.

Really good show.  the Shield reunion was fucking awesome.  I'd love it sometime down the line.

New Day vs. Cesaro and Kidd was very enjoyable although I'm not sure what to make of the finish.  Seemed like they were pushing some buttons there with Kofi and Xavier supposedly looking alike.. 

Cena vs. Rusev....  yeah, this was the worst match on the show. It picked up near the end but the routine move, "do you give up?" repeat, repeat.. shit is awful. 

the finish made no fucking sense at all.  So you could basically shoot Cena in the fucking face and not win the match because he didn't utter the words?  Bullshit. Also, splitting up Lana and Rusev is the worst and will kill both of them. 

Man, honestly, the worst match of the show was probably Neville/Barrett, and even that was good. There was nothing I actively didn't like, and there was a damn Bray Wyatt match on this show!

The switchout finish to the tag match could be interpreted badly though,

• Like 1

Man like didn't Bret Hart lose a match to someone else submitting for him? Did we all like have a stroke and erase that match from long term memory?

That was a "Second throws the towel" match, so it was specifically booked that way. The twist was Bret's second was incapacitated and Owen convinced his mother to throw it.

God damn was that show awesome. Considering most of us either were ice cold on it coming in or didn't care enough to know the full card, this was a great, great show. I popped so huge for the Shield spot it was ridiculous, I really hope they put them back together for Summer. There some bonkers spots on the show tonight too, Bray's senton to the floor, Reigns and Ambrose being hellbent on breaking that table with Kane, the shit in the Cena/Rusev match, and Cesaro's uppercut from the depths of Hell on Kofi. Whoever laid out the main event deserves a raise.

Man didn't Bret Hart lose a match to someone else submitting for him? Did we all like have a stroke and erase that match from long term memory?

Also Backlund/Sheik, lots of precedents. 

My issue was the weak ass submission. Now Rusev will be fully justified in firing Lana.

Man didn't Bret Hart lose a match to someone else submitting for him? Did we all like have a stroke and erase that match from long term memory?

I didn't have an issue with Lana quitting for Rusev.  I think it's a mistake to split them up but I didn't mind her throwing in the towel. The bullshit was Cena passing out and Rusev having no way to win the match because you can kill a guy and not win the match... I guess..   So yes, whoever put that together is a fucking moron.

• Like 1

I didn't have an issue with Lana quitting for Rusev. I think it's a mistake to split them up but I didn't mind her throwing in the towel. The bullshit was Cena passing out and Rusev having no way to win the match because you can kill a guy and not win the match... I guess.. So yes, whoever put that together is a fucking moron.

They needed SOMETHING to give Rusev a false win, so I'll give it a pass.

There were too many ASK HIM spots, but that's my only gripe of that match. I think a lot of us saw down Main St that this was the only finish that protected both of them.

If you don't care about finishes then this show was for you because most of the finishes were questionable at best but the action leading up to it was great.  Actually the finish to the main event was the better finish in my opinion.   I like that even though Rollins is a slimy weasel he is actually getting the wins.  Maybe because I was expecting an awful finish in the 4 way I enjoyed it.

So now Russev starts his progression to being Marc Mero II and Lana becomes a much more attractive/intelligent version of Sable

New Day are great heels.   I doubt that was the original plan of the team but great that it turned the way it did

Say it once say it a million times, I wish they would have booked Daniel Bryan as a champion better than Daniel Bryan with his career in jeopardy.   

We also learned that 'I Quit" in Bulgarian/Russian is about 150 characters long. 

For a "throwaway ppv" I thought this was fantastic. Every match was solid to excellent (The tag title match, Cena-Rusev and the main were all top notch). Just a few quick thoughts:

1 - I love that the guys actually listen to the crowd and adjust accordingly. Cena no-selling the shitty table bump and re-working the match to get back to the same spot was great but I guess he's a vet so you sorta expect it. But Reigns and Ambrose realizing their powerbomb on Kane sucked and milking it for a second spot was awesome. Nothing annoys me more in wrestling than when things are blown and guys just continue on to the next thing like nobody saw the last thing sucked.

2 - Speaking of Reigns and Ambrose, if today showed us anything, it's that some day an inevitable Shield reuinion is gonna be HUGE.

3 - Big E yelling out "We're too big!" when Xavier said they couldn't all fit in a Lexon pod cracked me up for a good 5 minutes. New Day is awesome.

4 - Even though it didn't look great, I hope Seth uses the Pedigree full time now (at least in big match ppv situations) rather than that shitty DDT. The curb stomp was great but if he can't do that, giving him HHH's finish would mitigate the loss.

I don't get the hang-up about Kofi and Xavier doing the switcheroo.  The Fabs did it, The Bellas did/do it, the Dynamic Duo did it.  Why should it be controversial because two black guys you have similar build and hair be a big deal?

The time to have Lana throw in the towel for Russev would have been in one of their first matches, preferably the one where Cena initially won the belt, which could have been used to set up an I Quit match.  The "oh, he's passed out and you can't win because he didn't say it, but he can win even though someone said it on your behalf" ending was a godawful finish to what had already been a shit match.  It's almost like they're trying to make the worst decisions possible with Russev and Lana.

The rest of the show was like a halfway decent episode of Raw - nothing bad but nothing really memorable.  Main event was fun once it really got going and the Shield bits were awesome, but there was no feel that something important might happen or the belt might actually change hands.

• Like 1

I don't get the hang-up about Kofi and Xavier doing the switcheroo.  The Fabs did it, The Bellas did/do it, the Dynamic Duo did it.  Why should it be controversial because two black guys you have similar build and hair be a big deal?

Demolition did it and they were not even built the same. Also it should be the Demolition Rule, since they did it in the WWF first.

I doubt that was the original plan of the team but great that it turned the way it did

I would bet it was part of Big E's plan from the start.