DVDVR Message Board

Veep

Craig H

I had never seen this show but after seeing the reactions to the last episode I binge watched the fuck out of it and I'm so glad I did. I'm 100% in favour of the show moving away from the shitty sitcom moments that were way too frequent in the first 2 or 3 seasons and focusing on the dark humour and character work that has taken over the past few seasons and almost always provided the best moments of seasons past. These people, their vapid lives, culture, and poisonous repartee are what make it worthwhile, not seeing over-the-top derp moments that would pass for a third rate FOX sitcom. I don't know if there's ever been an ensemble of funnier people in a TV series or movie. Just so many talented, hilarious people that it's almost impossible to pick a favourite character to love/hate. Jonah, though, has to be the one. He's like Dan but without the intelligence, which makes him slightly more relatable. Like, deep down, there may be a human being in there, but he's been shit on by everybody and it turned him into One Erection/Transgenderformers/Benedict Cuminhisownhand/12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off. I initially loathed Richard's incompetence because it felt like he was introduced at a time where everybody on the show was particularly incompetent, but he's grown into one of the best parts of the series. Mike "Fozzie Bear" McLintock also ranks highly. Kent having a cat named Fibonacci is perfect too.

And after going through this thread, I agree that the people in this show are far more heinous than in House of Cards (I've only seen the UK version, but still) and Game of Thrones. They're just unnervingly real.

• Like 1

The thing that I think I love the most about this show is that a huge part of Timothy Simon's job is just sitting in a room full of professional comedians week after week while they absolutely hammer at him with the most vile insults about his actual physical self. 

They need a gag reel of him trying not to break while that is going on. 

If you like Veep, do your self a favor and binge watch The Thick of it on Hulu. The shows had the same show runner so there is a lot of similarities, but there is no one on Veep who is as great as Malcolm Tucker. Think Selena at the end of last week's episode, only all the time.

• Like 2

Jonah Ryan is the only honest politician. You know most of them only get into it to show up the people who called them weirdos in high school. Ted Cruz probably has a version of the Jonah Ryan speech in his head every time he wins something.

• Like 2

This show is so good that what had been my favorite joke ever on the entire show:

On 6/6/2016 at 1:38 AM, piranesi said:

That was the best episode of VEEP ever.  I mean it just never let up. 

"I just wanted to see if there was a second secret meeting about me" is maybe the high point of HBO as a network.

...turned out weeks later to have been a setup to and even bigger and funnier joke that still hasn't entirely paid off.

Tonight was just amazing.  After GoT I thought no way could Silicon Valley keep up and it did.  And so then I was like, Damn Veep, you in trouble...and they just fucking blew the world up.

I was worried in the first minute that it was another gimmick episode, like the penultimate episode last season where it was the congress hearing. It worked so well though, and gave you really cool insight into other gags and jokes that have gone on throughout the season. You also get to meet Ben's wife! I'll rewatch this one tonight because I first watched it around 2am after baseball, the NBA finals, Money in the Bank, GoT, and Silicon Valley.

Silicon Valley took an interesting turn where it wound up being fairly serious. I also just started re-watching the season with my gf because she hasn't watched this season at all yet. We watched the season premiere and that was it. When Richard is pissed about not being CEO my gf wondered why he wasn't happy about it because he hated managing the company and he's an awful CEO. At the time I thought, well, yes, Richard isn't a good CEO, but it's his baby. However, when I watched the episode from last night, I could only think about how shitty of a CEO Richard is. He's just so in over his head. Pied Piper should hire Bernice to work on the messaging for their customers because she's able to put the program into words consumers can understand.

"Eating so much pussy I'm shitting clits, son" - Jonah Ryan, speaking in an elementary classroom.

We also got to see the (obvious) story behind the wood chopping edit. And Richard performing in "The Cherry Blossom Players". I fucking love this show! 

And poor Mike. :( That was such a great reveal though!

• Like 1

Show her failing at day-to-day life. The show runner sounds thrilled at the possibility. It'll be grand. My only concern is who they keep around because they can't stretch themselves too thin jumping from supporting character to supporting character now that they've disbanded.

Pray for the Jonads.

Nice bit of comedy foreshadowing that Jonah greets his mimbo staff with "Baller!" and they all answer "Baller!" "Baller!" "Baller!"

and then he's losing his balls...also Jonah probably has pre-ordered season 2 of Ballers.

and a great tiny Kent moment:

"Well why don't we send warships to the South China Seas"

"Sea."

and as simple as this one was the best moment maybe of the show:

"You're going to be a partner and a very important part of my administration."

"You're a motherfucker."

(laughing) "No I'm serious, you're going to be central and you'll be at every meeting"

"Okay.. [walking away]...it's like a shitty groundhog day."