DVDVR Message Board

Veep

Craig H

Was anyone else facing similar issues encouraged by how huge Hugh Laurie's bald spot looks from behind?

The key, apparently, is to only be seen from the front, and be really tall...or hang out with really short people.

Unsung heroes so far:

1) Sam Richardson - I get so excited every time he's onscreen because I know he wouldn't be there if he wasn't about to say something bizarre and completely unpredictable

2) Randall Park - I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic version of the fake-ass holier-than-thou politician who thinks he's more likable than he is.  Danny Chung is more on point than anyone in HOUSE OF CARDS.  It's like maybe 3% exaggeration.

3) Lennon Parham - in basically one episode she managed to do a whole story arc making a character who was so annoying in such a recognizable way, all with perfect timing and little asides and managed to be the catalyst for the best meltdown in the series

Was anyone else facing similar issues encouraged by how huge Hugh Laurie's bald spot looks from behind?

The key, apparently, is to only be seen from the front, and be really tall...or hang out with really short people.

Dude, I had the exact same thought about that bald spot and about his height. I kinda thought, "woah, wicked bald spot..." That thought was followed by one about how much taller he was than everyone else. I looked up his height though, and he's only 6'2". That isn't that tall, so everyone else in the cast must be pretty short.

Unsung heroes so far:

1) Sam Richardson - I get so excited every time he's onscreen because I know he wouldn't be there if he wasn't about to say something bizarre and completely unpredictable

I could never figure out who the actor's name was, and now I know.  Richardson has been my favourite character ever since his introduction last season.  He's so great because he's so nice so he sticks out like a sore thumb with all of these awful people.  I love when he does something polite and someone else just STICKS it to him.  Like when he went to shake Sidney's hand last night and he just said no and the way he quickly pulled his hand in and possibly apologized.

2) Randall Park - I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic version of the fake-ass holier-than-thou politician who thinks he's more likable than he is.  Danny Chung is more on point than anyone in HOUSE OF CARDS.  It's like maybe 3% exaggeration.
I was SO excited when I thought he was going to be Selina's veep because he needs to be on the show more.  I mean, I've always liked him, but he was so incredibly good as Kim Jong Un that I gained a whole new appreciation for him.

3) Lennon Parham - in basically one episode she managed to do a whole story arc making a character who was so annoying in such a recognizable way, all with perfect timing and little asides and managed to be the catalyst for the best meltdown in the series
It takes a real knack for becoming the most unlikable character on 'Veep' in less than one episode but she did it.  I wanted to throttle her maybe two minutes into the show.

As for the meltdown, I'm always curious with 'Veep' when someone quits/gets fired if they're just changing their role on the show (Like Jonah's firing leading him to becoming a blogger, or Dan joining up with a lobbying group) or if they're leaving the show.  Somehow, I hope this leads to Amy, Dan, Jonah and Richard working together.

I'm guessing it's likely she will. Everyone that has been fired winds up together so far this season. Then they'll all wind up back with Selina. Except for Dan. It seems like he's out for good.

Unsung heroes so far:

I could never figure out who the actor's name was, and now I know.  Richardson has been my favourite character ever since his introduction last season.  He's so great because he's so nice so he sticks out like a sore thumb with all of these awful people.  I love when he does something polite and someone else just STICKS it to him.  Like when he went to shake Sidney's hand last night and he just said no and the way he quickly pulled his hand in and possibly apologized.

Isn't there a point, though, where no matter how nice someone is, if they're that catastrophically destructively dumb then it doesn't count as nice anymore. 

Like, if he was really nice he would show it by putting in the work to get less dumb.

That said, he is on the top of the list of Veep characters I would want to hang out with for a day.

Unsung heroes so far:

Isn't there a point, though, where no matter how nice someone is, if they're that catastrophically destructively dumb then it doesn't count as nice anymore. 

Like, if he was really nice he would show it by putting in the work to get less dumb.

That said, he is on the top of the list of Veep characters I would want to hang out with for a day.

I don't think he's necessarily that Dumb.  I mean, he's dumb, but he's also wonderfully naive and un-cynical.

BTW, I think my next favourite underrated characters are

3. George Maddox (Isiah Whitlock): His character arc was great from a genuine threat to Selina's run for the presidency to being so unsettled by Selina's twitch that he just implodes ("Quit saying holes!") and is just dead in the water, like this past week where he tried so hard to be affable and ingratiate himself with Selina and completely takes himself out of the running.

2. Catherine Meyer (Sarah Sutherland): I love the way she just looks genuinely unsettled ALL THE TIME.  Like she's absolutely the very worst person to be in the spotlight: she's edgy, she's kind of sullen, and she isn't lovable.  Like when she's dealing with the kids at Easter and just wants to be anywhere else.

1. Roger Furlong (Dan Bakkedahl): Furlong's just great ("Wow, dead kids, that never sounds good unless you're a stressed-out single mom.") at being completely unlikable and coarse ("Do you know Charlize Theron? No, I'm serious, I'd really like to fuck her") and having no morals whatsoever, selling out whatever he needs to sell to get wherever he wants to go.

Honestly, you could end up listing off every supporting character. Kent's been great this year.

Every character is so damn horrible and cut throat that it makes me think of the characters of It's Always Sunny, but if they focused all their energies on career advancement, rather than just general mayhem.

Ben Cafferty is my favorite and it's not even close. Kevin Dunn doesn't look intimidating, and Ben just always seems tired, but everyone is afraid of him. They built this legend of Ben Cafferty so well. I can't remember if it was season 2 or 3, but Jonah won't stop calling, so Ben picks up the phone and Jonah about shits himself. Then we saw what Ben the monster was like when he eviscerated bothRoger and Dan this season.

I have a soft spot for Jonah too. The episode where you learn what Jonah does in his free time and see he's into the DC punk and hardcore scene is one of my favorite episodes.

I think I hate Karen the most, but that's because you're supposed to.

Also, this show needs Nick Offerman.

Just as long as Anna Chlumsky is going nowhere, I'll be happy. I mean, she doesn't know it yet but she's pretty much my future wife. Yeah, that's creepy but still.

I'm kinda undecided on which I prefer more between Veep and The Thick of It but, man, Karen knocked it out of the friggin' park in that last episode. 

(...)

I'm kinda undecided on which I prefer more between Veep and The Thick of It but, man, Karen knocked it out of the friggin' park in that last episode. 

Veep is still missing verbally abusive Scotsmen.

• Like 1

Jonah's identity crisis with the middle-aged women was so goddamn funny. I love Jonah.

What I really want more than anything is a 'Veep' spin-off that's just Jonah and Richard going around screwing things up.  Everything with them this week was amazing, though my favourite exchange was (Paraphrasing)

"Doyle's a lame duck...and you know what you do with lame animals?!"

"Care for them."

"Kill them."

"Right, probably more kind in the long run."

• 11 months later...

I love it whenever Dan Bakkedahl's Roger Furlong shows up with his assistant and last night didn't disappoint. He lays into that lady so hard, calling her Grimmace and talking about how her head smoothly transitions into her body without a neck, and then just bails after he devastates her. 

I laughed as hard at Jonah thinking he was Michael Jordan.