DVDVR Message Board

Inside Amy Schumer

caley

I feel like this show needs its own thread, especially in light of this season.  I mean I enjoyed the previous stuff, but this season has been out-of-this-world good.

Episode 1 this year had the great 'Friday Night Lights' parody, as well as 'The Last Fuckable Day' with Julia Louis Dreyfus, Patricia Arquette and Tina Fey.

Episode 2 was front-to-back probably the best sketch comedy show I've seen in YEARS.  

Episode 3 just aired this week and was a episode-long '12 Angry Men' parody with John Hawkes, Paul Giamatti, Jeff Goldblum, Vincent Kartheiser etc. etc. and was completely terrific.

What I'm really loving about this show, especially this season, is that it sheds light on feminism and issues women have to deal with in a wholly funny and never overly preachy way.  The 'Football Town Nights' sketch is so ridiculous and silly and at the same time basically says "Why are you surprised when a football player rapes someone, given the way they've been trained and instructed all these years?" which is a dark, dark message.  'Girl You Don't Need Makeup' turned into a viral sensation when Schumer asked girls to tweet photos without makeup and was flooded with replies.  The '12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer' is really heavy stuff but still completely satisfyingly funny.

• Like 2

Yeah, this season the show has jumped up about ten pegs. The first two seasons the writing seemed trite aside from the fake commercials which always made me laugh, very In Living Color-esque. Amy always kills on the live stuff and the interview bits so I stuck around. That first episode of this season though... phew. After that I give it the Anti-Pope's blessing.

Haven't seen it (don't get around to watching much TV), but from what I read, she gets a lot of mileage from saying she's not attractive.

On what planet is she not attractive? Anybody who would think she's not attractive is one of those derps who could never get within 500 feet of a woman even half as attractive as her but still love to talk stupid crap on the Internet.

Has there been any backlash from women that she's not exactly a proper standard-bearer for the "plain girl"?

Haven't seen it (don't get around to watching much TV), but from what I read, she gets a lot of mileage from saying she's not attractive.

On what planet is she not attractive? Anybody who would think she's not attractive is one of those derps who could never get within 500 feet of a woman even half as attractive as her but still love to talk stupid crap on the Internet.

Has there been any backlash from women that she's not exactly a proper standard-bearer for the "plain girl"?

Something tells me that you probably aren't the target audience of the show.

So who is? I'm not trying to troll here. Is her constant referral to herself as unattractive and all the jokes made about it supposed to be ironic?

Not in the least.

It's an issue of comparables.  She's attractive but not drop-dead so.  She's cute, but she's not Sofia Vergara.  There aren't a lot of women who look like Schumer on TV.  She plays into that, this week had little shout-out to the others in her category (Mindy Kaling and Lena Dunham) just before one of the two had her show canceled.

I guarantee you that the vast majority of people who say Amy Schumer isn't attractive enough for them couldn't land a girl 1/8th as attractive as Schumer in real life. Same with Mindy Kaling.

I suppose I can KINDA understand people saying that about Lena Dunham, but I still say the majority of people who consider her unattractive are mouthbreathers who couldn't do better than her at gunpoint.

It's easy to sit on a throne and make proclamations about who is hot and who isn't. But women don't have to be Sofia Vergara to be attractive. And it's odd to hear Schumer trying to make any kind of talk that she's "unattractive" and fighting the power in Hollywood because she's not a supermodel.

Schumer's old joke about her looks went something like this: "I know that I'm not ugly; I mean most guys would bang me, but they probably wouldn't blog about it."

This is not a commentary from me about her looks. It's merely showing where Schumer places herself in the looks category.

With that being said, it really doesn't matter. She's saying a lot of things right now that women really identify with and her comedy voice has evolved beyond Sarah Silverman-light and into something pretty brave and funny.

I've never watched the show, but the Amy Lake Blively sketch showed up in my Facebook feed and it's something else. Very few people come off genuine on those talk shows anyway, but she nails the way young women have to be coquettish, accessible, and non threatening while much older hosts creep on them.

Good lord. Calm your trousers boys (that doesn't go for all of you). Amy is the best because she skewers sexual relations between everyone in both life and mass media better than just about anyone right now. She was failing at first but this season (especially from the last episode, which was just on) killed it. As a comedian she has picked up her game 1000% from the show I was watching before. Congrats deserve to go out to her, because no one else is fucking doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple rather ho-hum weeks (I really got nothing out of those 80s Ladies sketches, especially not enough for there to be three of them and to waste a Jerry Seinfeld appearance on one!), this week was back to all-killer.  The 'Fight Like A Girl' sketch was brilliant, but I think I loved the 'Museum of Boyfriend Wardrobe Atrocities' even better...and don't act like your wardrobe didn't get mentioned in there...I will cop to a couple applying to me.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party but that Friday Night Lights parody is fucking hilarious and awful at the same time. That motivational speech at the end was perfect.

Ditto. I just now discovered Schumer, and marathoned through her show over the past few days. The first two seasons were a lot of fun, if rather inconsistent; I now react to the phrase "please welcome Bridget Everett!" with the same soul-quaking dread inspired by the likes of tornado alarms, air-raid sirens, and business-hours phone calls from 1-800 numbers.

But the third season hit, and "holy Spike showing up and Angel turning heel", the show finally figured out what it SHOULD be. The "12 Angry Men" episode was legitimate five-star brilliance, right up there with Rick James, Bitch and the best South Park episodes in terms of all-time Comedy Central gold. That episode was just working on a whole new plateau of creative sharpness and painfully raw social commentary mixing with insanely great performances that... I mean, damn, sometimes we forget just how great Paul Giamatti really is, ya know? It even had a bunch of dead-on specific references to moments in the original 12 Angry Men for anyone who's actually familiar with it.