DVDVR Message Board

Which superhero film are you most looking forward to in 2016?

69 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Comic Book Movies.

• Deadpool (February)
    • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March)
    • Captain America: Civil War (May)
    • X-Men: Apocalypse (May)
    • Suicide Squad (August)
    • Gambit (October)
    • Doctor Strange (November)
    • Daredevil Season Two (2016)
    • Other.

I'd really like to see DC do a non-JL/Batman/Superman animated movie. Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Aquaman... They really have a lot of material they could mine outside of the usual suspects.

Just watch New Frontier over and over again.

I'd really like to see DC do a non-JL/Batman/Superman animated movie. Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Aquaman... They really have a lot of material they could mine outside of the usual suspects.

Wonder Woman had a movie. Green Lantern had two. The upcoming Gods and Monsters sort of fits this as the Trinity being used isn't the Trinity we know. The entire thing is really an elseworlds type of story.

I voted DD.  It's the only thing in the poll I have definite plans to watch.  Probably will see Cap 3 and X-Men: Apocalypse, but, then again, maybe not.  Cap depends greatly on which direction they go with the movie.  Love the movie take on Cap's character and Chris Evans has done well with the role, but I didn't like Winter Soldier all that much.  The espionage stuff was really trite and nothing we've not seen before, down to "guy saves the day at literally the last second".  No one diffuses a bomb with 5 minutes left, do they?  Always wait until the last two secs.

KInda skeptical I'll ever see Gambit or Dr, Strange or anything like that unless word of mouth sways me like it did with GotG.

The superhero tv shows interest me more, except for AoS, but I'm really wary of Berlanti taking on four shows.  Arrow suffered a drop in quality when they turned their attention to Flash, and they're rolling out four shows next year. 

If Berlanti wasn't attached to Supergirl, I'd be actively dreading it.  I'm a big fan of Mike Carey's Lucifer series, but I'm guessing it will be flat-out bad or take little more than the name from the Vertigo series.  The pitch ("Lucifer gets bored, helps LAPD solve crimes") doesn't fill me with confidence.

I spend a lot of time in shopping malls, which is an unfortunate aspect of my job. Because of the amount of time in said malls, I can assure everyone that Deadpool is probably second to Batman in terms of random merch that you see on people. Granted, it's all on people who look like they might also wear a hatchet man necklace, but sales are sales I guess. 

The superhero tv shows interest me more, except for AoS, but I'm really wary of Berlanti taking on four shows.  Arrow suffered a drop in quality when they turned their attention to Flash, and they're rolling out four shows next year. 

Arrow will have a different showrunner next season with Berlanti and co. running so many as it is.

I've gone for Batman vs Superman. Batman is my favorite coming book character and i enjoyed Man of Steel. I'd put Doctor Strange and Gambit somewhere near the bottom. I know nothing about Doctor Strange and i'm not that big a fan of Gambit either.

The rest are all somewhere jumbled up in the middle. Suicide Squad and X Men: Apocalypse are probably near the top. I've always liked the X Men movies and they've all been pretty strong since they went in a new direction with First Class. Anyone know if the Deadpool movie is apart of the same series?

I'm torn on Captain America: Civil War. Wasn't a fan of the first Cap film, loved the second. How much of a Captain America movie is this going to be though with everyone else showing up in it? Or will this be 'Marvels Civil War' but with Captain Americans name stuck in the front to boost the box office?

As for TV shows, i never thought i'd like a Green Arrow, Flash and Daredevil TV show more than a Batman related one but here we are. Gotham is decent, but not perfect and i don't look forward to it like the other shows. As for Shield, its hit or miss for me. I've not even started on it again since it returned from the break. I'll get around to it but i feel like i'm just watching it for the sake of it sometimes.

Just watch New Frontier over and over again.

:(

Wonder Woman had a movie. Green Lantern had two. The upcoming Gods and Monsters sort of fits this as the Trinity being used isn't the Trinity we know. The entire thing is really an elseworlds type of story.

Yeah, in 2009. Doesn't mean they couldn't make another one when they keep churning out mediocre Bat/JL movies. Both the GL movies were awful and they should try and make a good one for once. Gods and Monsters is no different than Flashpoint Paradox, only Gods and Monsters won't be used as a shitty way to reboot the universe. :lol:

I spend a lot of time in shopping malls, which is an unfortunate aspect of my job. Because of the amount of time in said malls, I can assure everyone that Deadpool is probably second to Batman in terms of random merch that you see on people. Granted, it's all on people who look like they might also wear a hatchet man necklace, but sales are sales I guess.

This sums it up.

Deadpool (and to a lesser extent Harley) have caught on with the internet crowd through memes and the like. As such, while their comics receive a modest boost in sales, they're also absurdly popular with people who have probably never paid actual money for a comic but will pay to see their movies when they're out. The general popularity is way higher than basically anyone not Batman and arguably the established movie Avengers.

Deadpool and Harley Quinn comics actually sell really, really well. Like, upper echelon titles for both companies. Regular issues of Harley Quinn are often in the monthly top 10.

Harley's newest series has but that's a marriage of talent and character I think. Deadpool's stuff sells consistently well no matter how much there is of it. Doesn't really crack the top 10 except for stunts but does well enough that it's always in play along with spinoffs.

Lord knows what they do in digital But I'm under the impression Harley sells well in that market too.

The Avengers movies do crazy numbers at the box office but box office and what sells for comics are two different things.  The Avengers comics do okay but Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc..  don't do anything on their own.  It's the same as it's ever been. 

Comics that sell well:  X-Men stuff, Wolverine, Batman, Spider-Man, Harley Quinn, Deadpool, Superman, Justice League, Walking Dead, Star Wars, some Avengers titles.

I don't believe it's the same demographic.  Everyone watches movies. Comics are for diehards.

This sums it up.

Deadpool (and to a lesser extent Harley) have caught on with the internet crowd through memes and the like. As such, while their comics receive a modest boost in sales, they're also absurdly popular with people who have probably never paid actual money for a comic but will pay to see their movies when they're out. The general popularity is way higher than basically anyone not Batman and arguably the established movie Avengers.

For comparison, when I was at Niagara Falls yesterday, I decided to count superhero merchandise. Saw one Spider-Man, one general Marvel, one Superman, one Captain America, one Batman, zero Deadpool. (One John Cena.) About what you'd expect.

Wonder Woman film is terrific, I'd be very happy to get that remade for the live action solo film.