DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-4-15

MGFanJay

Raw began with the traditional "people say words", but got great when Orton got into things when he started pointing out Roman's shortcomings after big RKO chants. THEN THE NEW DAY CAME OUT and Orton bopped his head to their theme and even clapped with them. 

The actual New Day vs. Orton/Reigns match dragged, but I loved Roman's selfishness of wanting to get his shit in costing Orton. And it led to a fun backstage bit with New Day celebrating and Kane being greatly annoyed by their joy. Dug the Cesaro/Kidd vs. Ascension squash.  Dean vs. Seth was a fun little match, but really hurt by the commentary, but also aided by the crowd. 

Rusev-Fandango was a thing. Ditto Truth-Stardust, won by Stardust due to a baggy of plastic spiders. Loved Zayn-Cena. They made a star...pretty much in one night. He's such an amazing babyface in peril. New Naomi-Tamina duo is a thing. Loved the New Day celebrating throughout the whole show. Main event wasn't much of a match and greatly hurt by the commentators calling about 1% of the action. Dean got to stand tall though.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/wwe-raw-5-4-15.html

Screens - 

981d99407707712.jpg

9447a4407721950.jpg 

47386b407725438.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/wxc1u6hw8oo6to80l9xxwyznh8dbqcon

There's no way Vince and the normal writing staff made the trip across the border. Best top to bottom Raw I've seen this year. What a night for Zayn getting introduced by Bret, and wrestling Cena in his hometown. Hard to tell with Sami if that was a legit injury or not. If it wasn't it protected him a little extra on the finish. Please stop with that stunner Cena.

Great to see Dean get a push, and that may have been his best singles match yet.

From what I watched I came away with two things:

1. Heel New Day is awesome.

2. Dean Ambrose is so over he gets "Holy shit" chants for a simple tope suicida and multiple "This is awesome" chants for a not-bad-but-nothing-extraordinary Raw match...

• Like 1

New Day.

Orton clapping along with New Day.

Reigns being too through with the whole thing.

New Day and BRC with Natalya dancing.

King Barrett.

Sami Zayn, introduced by Bret Hart.

Tamina superkicking Nikki to hell.  Naomi with the long "I have cut some bitches in my day" braids.

The Shield back together! (sort of--let me dream)

Anyone complaining about this show can get the FUCK OUT.

• Like 2

I don't know who booked this show but let's hope they come back every week. After weeks and weeks of boring slogs, they FINALLY had a show that awesome thing after awesome thing on it.

Ambrose finally getting used in the top mix is great. Of course he's gonna eat the pin the the four way but just elevating him over that goofy IC/US Title mess is a win.

The New Day have a real Spirit Squad thing going on - but like cool Spirit Squad before DX decided to treat them like jobbers, squash them, and mail them back to NXT. Face Cesaro/Kidd is super fun too. This is my favorite feud on the show right now.

Then BRET came out. And he introduces SAMI! Sami is my favorite wrestler in the WWE right now so this was about as perfect a debut as I could've hoped for. Honestly between him, Neville, and the main event scene being all the Shield guys my interest level has increased by about 500%.

I'll just out and say it: Anyone who thinks Sami got buried because he didn't win can step away from the grown-ups table.

I was hoping Owens would cost Sami the match, but they let Sami kick out of an AA reach the ropes on an stf, and may have thrown in a shoulder injury to protect him in the loss. This truly was bizzaro land Raw as most everything was well booked and made sense. Also face Cesaro is just awesome.

• Like 1

Wow...I'd say this was a good show because I always expect Raw to be pretty dull these days so it doesn't take much to rise above that low bar, but this was a legitimately good episode regardless of the normal product.  New Day were going pretty much nowhere but have come into their own a lot in the past few weeks by doing Bo Dallas' gimmick a lot better than he does.  All of them seem to be legitimately getting into their schtick as well.  Shame the Shield/Wyatts aren't around anymore to have some fun 3 ways.

Sami's debut couldn't have gone much better but I'm wondering if he got a stinger or something on that arm bump.  Most NXT callups seem to either be stars or duds, and he and Neville are going to be huge unless someone colossally fucks up the booking.

A gif of that brief jig Ambrose was doing needs to be made pronto.

I'll admit Bray's promos get a bit repetitive, but I still like him and think he's better in the ring than most people think.  That said, this Ryback feud is going to do neither of them any favors.  Bray isn't good enough to get a decent match out of Ryback, and Ryback should really just go back to teaming with Axel.  Is Rowan even still employed?

Barrett's new King Barrett personal is going to be tremendous.

I cancelled my network subscription a few days ago (I like the product, but lately I just never watch anything but ppvs and NXT) and this show actually made me rethink that.

I'll just out and say it: Anyone who thinks Sami got buried because he didn't win can step away from the grown-ups table.

I was looking forward to coming in this thread to say "Sami got buried", but you cut off the joke before I could make it!

I'm not ashamed to admit that my eyes welled up a little bit when Sami made his entrance. I enjoy minor league baseball. I like watching prospects make their rise through the minors before their eventual MLB debut. I feel the same way about NXT. I take I some pride knowing I watched these guys struggle in the indies, shine in NXT, and then eventually make their WWE debut. I realize this wasn't Sami's actual Raw debut, but for all intents and purposes it was.

Man, was he booked strong. First was his ring intro by Bret. Then they gave him the shoulder injury early on to show his heart. He fought his way to the ropes while in the STF and he kicked out of the AA. He also got to perform his ring post dive DDT that appeared to legit spike Cena on his head. After the match Cena raised Sami's hand and exited the ring allowing Sami to soak in the adulation. The commentary remained nearly 100% focused on calling the action too.

The only negative? Sami's snot-stache after his ring entrance. That was pretty gross.

• Like 2

The New Day just popping up randomly backstage and celebrating and being overly positive is hilarious and usually leads to good stooging. Hope to see more of it.

The Lana face turn is FUCKING TERRIBLE. Christ why is this happening? I am not a big Lana fan at all, but SURELY there has to be a better way to turn her face  (if that must even be done in the first place) than making her completely corny and stripping away anything that got her over in the first place. Once her Russian accent is gone...she is just generic blonde #4972918009320 on the roster. NO THANK YOU!

I tapped out after the Roman Reigns 24/7 promo and wish I didn't. Missed Zayn/Cena. :(

Great show!  Excellent matches from Rollins/Ambrose and Cena/Zayn!

I was pretty disappointed when I realized it was not Bull Nakano & Awesome Kong knocking out the Bellas, but Tamina Snuka & Naomi.

All Hail King Barrett!  Hopefully he can get that push Regal was meant to have all those years ago

The Lana face turn is FUCKING TERRIBLE. Christ why is this happening? I am not a big Lana fan at all, but SURELY there has to be a better way to turn her face  (if that must even be done in the first place) than making her completely corny and stripping away anything that got her over in the first place. Once her Russian accent is gone...she is just generic blonde #4972918009320 on the roster. NO THANK YOU!

I don't really get why she is the one turning. Since the beginning she was the evil behind Rusev. Seems like it would make more sense to turn Rusev and give her another foreigner to manage.