DVDVR Message Board

Classic WWF/WCW Wrestling Games

RonL21

FirePro Club had some of the most amazing forum drama ever when one of the users somehow convinced everyone that Spike was making a new FP game and wanted ideas from the fans.  He managed to keep it up for a few weeks at least before coming clean with the reasoning of "I was just trying to bring some hope to the community."  That was fun.

I'm seriously considering buying a new PS2 so I can play King of Colosseum 2 again.

• Like 1

Fuck sonnybone imo. He had me 100%.

And yeah, I spent way too much time yesterday looking at the forum and planning my 500 slots. Smdh. 

I wonder what the chances are we finally get a new game. That kind of hint by the Spike Twitter account is really mean if it's not one (and it almost assuredly isn't). 

My wife bought me a copy of FirePro Wrestling Returns as a surprise a few years ago, but I never did get (and still have not got) a PS2 to play it. I should probably pop fifty bucks down to get a used one since it doesn't look like FPWR is going to be a PS2 classic on PS4 anytime soon. 

FYI, FPR is on the PS3 PSN store. I REALLY wish it were playable on the PS4, but there's obvious reasons for that.

Question though, when FPR came out on the PS2, you couldn't use the Gameshark to make edits and all that. Or at least at that time, you had to know a friend with a regular PS2 and then they had to give you their memory card or you had to give them yours so they could save their move edits and shit onto it. Has that been improved or is there a way to get those edits onto the PS3 version?

It's pretty trivial to get edits onto the PS3 version with a properly-formatted USB stick; you should be able to find instructions online.

I didn't have a USB memory card reader so I remember using some byzantine method of burning the edit packs onto a CD and using that along with a swap disc to get them on to a memory card.

• Like 1

Also, yes, FPR is the best. When the game came out on the PS2 years ago, my friends that played wrestling games were only familiar with No Mercy and SD: HCTP. A few of us were familiar with Fire Pro though, so we busted it out, along with the multitap, and everyone had a ton of fun playing battle royals and huge tag matches. It was cool watching them quickly figure out to perform your move the moment you connected with your grapple.

I never played KoC 2, but I always wanted to until a couple months ago when I watched a YouTube video of it. Man, that game looks janky as hell, but I also understand that a video doesn't replicate the feel of gameplay.

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It's pretty trivial to get edits onto the PS3 version with a properly-formatted USB stick; you should be able to find instructions online.

I didn't have a USB memory card reader so I remember using some byzantine method of burning the edit packs onto a CD and using that along with a swap disc to get them on to a memory card.

Doh, I should have just looked at the forum first.

http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=272

That's where PSN saves are.

KoC 2 is definitely janky as hell, but I still love it.  Stuff like the audience rankings (and different promotions' audiences having different standards about what makes a match good), the powerball system, and the clutch-based grappling system are all really cool ideas that never really showed up anywhere else.  I'm also amazed at how many promotions they got to agree to licensing for it.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 4:20 PM, Oyaji said:

The last one on PS2, Fire Pro Returns. It still has a strong community surrounding it with recent edit packs found here. They have guides, edit packs, and a tonne of support in addition to a funny community that is just dying for a new game. They're still talking about that Spike tweet from last April. 

If you still have a PS3, it can be bought digitally for that.

• 5 weeks later...

Considering the ultra short Fire Pro video that's out there, I figured I'd talk more about it here than in the catch all thread.

So this is interesting...It wasn't that long ago that Spike's twitter asked folks about a Fire Pro game. Some months later, they're all set for an announcement. This just leads me to believe that they've actually been working on this for longer than from they polled Twitter and maybe we won't have to wait that long for a release. Then again, this is basically wishful thinking.

I doubt Fire Pro games take a tonne of time coding seeming they've been using the same or similar engine for 20+ years. Lots of time in move animations I'm guessing and some new features. I can't see it being a launch title being announced the day before release but something like late spring makes sense.

And like you, I will be buying a switch if that's what this comes out on. I'd rather not but Mario looks great too. What's the switch's online interface like? Has Nintendo finally caught up to 360/ps3 levels? 

Someone in the other thread said it wouldn't be a Switch exclusive, but even if it were on the Switch, I'd be tempted to play it on there just for the portability. It would basically come down to online multiplayer. If it had it, I'd almost certainly get it on the PS4, if it came out for that. If there is no online multiplayer, then getting a version on the Switch, if released on it too, would be tempting. The only drawback would be lack of controllers. My friends who still do console gaming all have PS4s, so we have more than enough controllers to go around. I don't know of anyone close to me who is actually getting a Switch.

The real super cool amazing thing would a Steam release.

Agreed but Fire Pro has always been an exclusive title unfortunately. Hopefully they've learned and it's available for everything including PC but I highly doubt that. 

It's looking like a Switch game, as Thursday is Nintendo's day at the convention and Spike is part of their lineup. I just looked at some of the reddit leaked images and information and it does indeed sound like the console will have decent online functionality. 

I'm most hopeful of online sharing of individual (or even packs) of wrestlers and online vs to keep things interesting when the CPU inevitably becomes too easy. I like BL88's suggestion for crawling. Anything that adds some emotion to matches because that is certainly one of the series' weaknesses. Another interesting thing to look for is the default roster now that Japan has stricter copyright laws. WE NEED DICK SLENDER! 

Even with the copyright laws, I would imagine using proxies for real living wrestlers and the same old classic Fire Pro fake names would still be ok. Like, a Japanese wrestler with short white hair instead of blonde whose name is Akado instead of Okada.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed but Fire Pro has always been an exclusive title unfortunately. Hopefully they've learned and it's available for everything including PC but I highly doubt that. 

Not really.

Super Famicom, Mega Drive, and TG16 all had their versions.

Then the went Saturn to Sony to Dreamcast to back to Sony, all while having GBA versions release concurrently.

I figure it only releases on consoles Japanese people give a shit about with a larger install base (PS4, would think 3DS would be more likely than the switch) and no PC version.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I doubt Fire Pro games take a tonne of time coding seeming they've been using the same or similar engine for 20+ years. Lots of time in move animations I'm guessing and some new features. I can't see it being a launch title being announced the day before release but something like late spring makes sense.

And like you, I will be buying a switch if that's what this comes out on. I'd rather not but Mario looks great too. What's the switch's online interface like? Has Nintendo finally caught up to 360/ps3 levels? 

I remember reading some years ago, I want to say around when Fire Pro Returns got released, that making new Fire Pro games was comparatively difficult because they were building off of code that was pretty janky to begin with and being iteratively updated dozens of times had made it basically kudzu, but the games weren't profitable enough to justify making a new engine for them.