DVDVR Message Board

Classic WWF/WCW Wrestling Games

RonL21

Just the fact that we're even talking about a Fire Pro game and it's looking like a reality has me insanely excited.  If they embrace online gameplay think of the online matches we can have.

Oh, man, Thursday can't come soon enough.  I'm getting Switch anyway, but if they announce this for Switch then that alone more than validates my purchase.

This is all making me think back to my history with Fire Pro. I first played SFPWXP back in the mid 90s on an emulator. I only found out about it from someone else I was in an efed with. I was instantly confused at how to pull off moves, but then quickly figured it out and that was with using a keyboard to play the game. It made me buy a controller for the PC to play it.

Next was 6MS. I didn't own a Saturn, but a friend did. It was probably a dumb purchase to make, especially because it wasn't like I made a ton of money working at a grocery store for my first job, but I wound up buying 6MS and an import cartridge. For the amount I spent, I probably should have been able to play the game more, but I just had to play it.

After that I bought FPWD. Playing imports on the Dreamcast was so easy because Electronics Boutique sold a disc to allow the play of imports. I wasted so much paper printing out a FAQ from Gamefaqs. Only other time I did that was for VPW2. FPWD was so awesome.

FPWR was the best though, if only because it was all in English and you didn't have to mod anything. Introducing FPWR to a bunch of friends who also played some wrestling games here and there was so much fun. I just remember the couple of us who were veterans of the series trying to explain that when you hear the "slap" or "click" sound on the lock up animation is when you try to pull off your move. Then there was the first time someone got CRITICAL'd and from there we'd have battle royals with guys with a good chance of getting that CRITICAL. Anytime that happened there would be a loud "YEAH!!"

I don't think a new Fire Pro will get us all playing again if it's on the Switch, but if it's on the PS4, I see some good times ahead. The only bummer will be being confined to 4 players unless there's some way to allow 6 to 8 players being logged in at one time.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just the fact that we're even talking about a Fire Pro game and it's looking like a reality has me insanely excited.  If they embrace online gameplay think of the online matches we can have.

Oh, man, Thursday can't come soon enough.  I'm getting Switch anyway, but if they announce this for Switch then that alone more than validates my purchase.

Sadly, unless they overhaul the system to a button masher or first grapple, it's unlikely to go online, as the current system is all timing based, and even the smallest bit of lag on one side will throw the balance of the match disproportionatly in the non-lagger's favor.

I don't think the timing would be that much of an issue as long as the net code is solid enough. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and other fighting games have thriving online communities. Online play for those games is so important and as important is that timing aspect. If it can be done for something as fast as Street Fighter, it could be done for Fire Pro where the most important part of that timing is when you pull off a move. Pinfalls are whatever if it's still the "hold the button down and you'll kickout if you can" setup.

I can't stop checking Arena to see if there are any leaks or something. Sonnybone is being sonnybone. Fucker makes me think of In the Air Tonight. "... I would not lend a hand."

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Luckily it's more far away than the 8pm PST the actual announcement is scheduled for

I have some very disappointing news for you....