DVDVR Message Board

Classic WWF/WCW Wrestling Games

RonL21

No love/hate for WWF Royal Rumble, that didn't even have 30 characters in it for a royal rumble?

Are you referring to the Dreamcast game? It was neat because you were allowed more than four characters on-screen at once. But that was pretty much the whole game.

I used to play that at Gameworks quite a bit, especially since it was one of the few games that cost 50 cents instead of 3 bucks to play. It felt more like a fighting game than a wrestling one though. Some of the power up/cheat moves were fun to pull off.

Reminds me of the year that me and my little brother asked for n64 games, knowing we were only getting one to share...I asked for WCW World Tour, he asked for Mischief Makers and that's what we got. I still haven't forgiven him fully.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of writing an article on wrestling games through the ages. I wanna touch upon the great and the terrible.

Do me a favour and tell me the top 3 and worst 3 wrestling games you've ever played, and if possible, why?

Also any anecdotes about wrestling games you may have or classic glitches you remember will be welcome.

Or maybe I'll just read the thread huh

I always remember Wrestle War on the Mega Drive being a pain in the ass. Really hard and next to impossible to pull off a high spot. If you managed to finish someone with a german suplex in my gang you were a god among men. Think I made it to the final guy once.

Worst has to be In Your House surely? Just so odd on so many levels

The wrestling game I've got the most playability out of was Raw vs Smackdown 2006 - great gameplay (it was a nice compromise between No Mercy and arcade-y), CAW mode was great, loads of legends, create a belt, create a PPV. I had some great great fueds, it was brill

Loved: all of the AKI N64 games. The playability was off the charts and was so much fun, especially multiplayer. I also really liked King of Colosseum 2 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns because of their attention to detail with the gameplay and the realism.

I never really cared for the Smackdown games because I just always wanted the AKI gameplay, though I did enjoy SD vs. Raw 06 more than a lot of the other SD games.

The old Acclaim wrestling games on the Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo era were atrocious. Basically Mortal Kombat but with wrestling characters, in all the wrong ways. The games for Playstation/N64 were marginally better but the gameplay was overly complicated.

Best tag team mode: VPW2.  You can definitely cheese it and win in 2 minutes, but sometimes shit just goes on for 45 minutes and doesn't feel like a slog.

Best animation: ASPW III.  Powerbomb impact is a little lame but do the analog movement as Misawa and then see him flick his eyebrow sweat.

Best outside the ring camera: WCW Mayhem on PSX.  Prove me wrong.

Best Vader: Giant Gram 2000

Worst thing ever:  That part where you have to beat both Hardy fuckers in a ladder match on No Mercy.  BULLSHIT

Also tied with flying over the top rope unceremoniously when yer trying to win the entire goddamned royal rumble.

• Like 1

Best tag team mode: VPW2.  You can definitely cheese it and win in 2 minutes, but sometimes shit just goes on for 45 minutes and doesn't feel like a slog.

Best animation: ASPW III.  Powerbomb impact is a little lame but do the analog movement as Misawa and then see him flick his eyebrow sweat.

Best outside the ring camera: WCW Mayhem on PSX.  Prove me wrong.

Best Vader: Giant Gram 2000

Worst thing ever:  That part where you have to beat both Hardy fuckers in a ladder match on No Mercy.  BULLSHIT

Also tied with flying over the top rope unceremoniously when yer trying to win the entire goddamned royal rumble.

You mean the light back kick that sends you staggering 8 feet and toppling over the top rope?  Yeah, fuck that.

Also, on VPW2, I will cosign on the tag matches.  I have a geeky habit of taping my matches on these games, and I have a 3 match series that was just incredible, and involved zero "working" from me.  Kobashi/Akiyama vs Johnny Smith/Taiyo Kea.  Every match was a 40+ minute war.  I do almost strictly tags on the game.

That one WCW game on PS1 (Nitro, I think) was not only the worst wrestling game, it was nearly just as bad as Superman 64 as bad game period. You had to nearly do a Mortal Kombat fatality sequence to do a closeline

• Like 1

I was so disappointed by that game. I felt like it took forever to come out. I remember Nitro (the show) air a trailer for the game and gave the illusion (or maybe I just wanted it to) it was coming out real soon and it was still many months away. Game was total garbage. Very few characters, horrendous gameplay. Thanks, WCW.

It's all about the rants and secret characters. Stills of that game in gaming magazines made it look incredible and, naively, thinking they'd be using an engine similar to Vs. The World, I was so fucking excited for the game. Then I played it. :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh man, WCW Nitro. i still own it for the PS.

i taped all of the wrestlers' intros (including the German Alex Wright AND spanish Eddie Guerrero). and i still remember the Macho Man's: "oooh yeah! watch the flying elbow drop off the top rope. not only pins people 1-2-3, but i hurt 'em real bad too!"

and the Syxx one (would this be Syxx's only video game appearance?) said something along the lines of "whenever you feel froggy" which me and my friends used to use all the time because of how stupid it sounded.

edit: nope. Syxx was also in WCW vs nWo: World Tour.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Trivia Time!  

Q:  Name the first WWF/WWE licensed video games to feature the following options:

- Ring entrances

- Title defenses

- Managers who interfere in the match

- DQ finishes

- Title belts that are worn during the ring entrance

- Backstage promos

- Referees

- Play-by-play announcers

- The only WWF/WWE video game to feature Jesse "The Body" Ventura

- The very first game to feature Bruno Sammartino

- The ability to name the arena

- The ability to replay historic matches and change the finish so the other guy wins

- Ring announcing, by Howard Finkel no less!

A:  The very first WWF/WWE video game, Microleague Wrestling!