DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

He's got an insane amount of charisma. It's crazy because for so long I thought he was just a generic action flick guy. Then I saw Dredd.

It must have been Doom. That film tainted everyone involved with it.

No, it's the Bourne movies. If you're in one of those and you aren't Matt Damon, your career is buggered for a few years.

He's got an insane amount of charisma. It's crazy because for so long I thought he was just a generic action flick guy. Then I saw Dredd.

I didn't realize that was Urban in Doom, but I haven't seen it in 10 years. All I remember is the POV game tribute scene and the one dude's self-professed love of ladyboys.

I dunno. That Dwyane fellow did pretty well I hear.

He was also generic action guy in The Chronicles of Riddick. It wasn't until Star Trek that I realized he had charisma, and then Almost Human(damn you Fox) showed that he was an amazing talent and should be in better roles.

• Like 1

I dunno. That Dwyane fellow did pretty well I hear.

It took him a couple of years though.

He was also generic action guy in The Chronicles of Riddick. It wasn't until Star Trek that I realized he had charisma, and then Almost Human(damn you Fox) showed that he was an amazing talent and should be in better roles.

He was so great in Almost Human and yes, fuck Fox for interfering, airing it out of order, switching timeslots and then cancelling when it couldn't "find an audience."

• Like 1

He was so great in Almost Human and yes, fuck Fox for interfering, airing it out of order, switching timeslots and then cancelling when it couldn't "find an audience."

Despite this, it still got good ratings.  And they cancelled it.

I miss this show.

• Like 1

So...I'm watching Tusk.

Holy shit, this is fucked up. At times I think I'm watching a really goofy ass movie, and other times I feel like I'm watching a legit, fucked up horror movie. Those are usually the scenes with Michael Parks.

No shit. My jaw hits the floor each time I see that fucked up thing. If anyone hasn't seen it, I don't want to give away the one cameo, but the scene with him and Michael Parks was so fucking out in left field that I couldn't stop laughing.

i have a love / hate relationship with Tusk.  The level of self indulgence really is ridiculous, but there is definitely a decent idea trying to get out of all of that deliberate intention to gross people out.  I despise movies that have to be endured rather than enjoyed, but a lot of heart and thought went into telling that story.

If this was a test to see if I was a "True Kevin Smith Fan," then I guess I failed.

Hero is a visual masterpiece and it is the epitome of epic wuxia.

I know that the underlying premise of security / stability > liberty is somewhat of a cultural impasse between east and west, but the Jeffersonian in me can't help but be somewhat taken aback.

I know for me back in the day I really didn't appreciate the visual beauty of the film despite being the typical "film student viewer" at the time. I was just enthralled in the fight scenes, which I still am, but watching it this morning in HD made me really appreciate the visuals