DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Cleveland Abduction is on. Aka Lifetime exploiting a real life tragedy in a Godawful movie for ratings but at least the victims are (presumably) getting financial compensation out of it so you don't want wanna complain too much.

I still have nightmares about that Alicia Silverstone wig in The Brittany Murphy Story.

I just watched "Going Clear" and holy fuck. I knew about all the wacky shit, the tax shit, Hubbard being a maniac con artist, and all that. But the stuff towards the end about the prison trailers, child abuse, and all that shit with how the little midget who runs it is a monster? Fuck, my skin was crawling.

• Like 2

Watched 'Horrible Bosses 2'.  I've watched the original 5-6 times and this one was all right (I liked them trying to do Southern accents, also really liked the way their plan actually unfolded vs. the way it was supposed to go) but there's a 17 minute feature on the DVD that is just them talking about working with each other, interspersed with gag reel clips, that is actually way more entertaining and enjoyable than watching the 100+ minute movie.  The way they wedged Kevin Spacey into this movie was so bizarre and pointless.  It was like they saw '22 Jump Street' and went "Yeah, we can just have them visit him in prison!"  I think the movie would've been a tad better if they had picked three new, well-known actors to replace Aniston, Spacey and Foxx in the film.  I mean, part of the charm of the first one was a the shock of seeing a big star like Foxx in a bit comedic role, a mostly-dramatic actor like Spacey in a comedy, and wholesome Jennifer Aniston playing a potty mouth.  Realistically, you could do the same thing with, say, Liam Neeson in the Spacey role, Colin Firth in the Foxx role, and, say, Kerry Washington in the Aniston role.  You'd get the same shock factor at seeing unexpected actors doing unexpected things (Colin Firth in corn rows being a badass criminal would be must-see).

• Like 1

I just watched "Going Clear" and holy fuck. I knew about all the wacky shit, the tax shit, Hubbard being a maniac con artist, and all that. But the stuff towards the end about the prison trailers, child abuse, and all that shit with how the little midget who runs it is a monster? Fuck, my skin was crawling.

It's so crazy to me that many of these Hollywood people don't get that they are, in fact, enthusiastic members of the same type of cartoonishly evil organization that tends to feature in all the movies they usually star in.

Quentin Tarantino and the castmembers of The Hateful Eight have a press conference/live Kickstarter asking for support to put their film in 70 MM print and showing. I am absolutely, totally down.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/quentin-tarantino-retirement-hateful-eight-international-release-1201280583/?fb_action_ids=10204996798737458&fb_action_types=og.shares

Watched 'Horrible Bosses 2'.  I've watched the original 5-6 times and this one was all right (I liked them trying to do Southern accents, also really liked the way their plan actually unfolded vs. the way it was supposed to go) but there's a 17 minute feature on the DVD that is just them talking about working with each other, interspersed with gag reel clips, that is actually way more entertaining and enjoyable than watching the 100+ minute movie.  The way they wedged Kevin Spacey into this movie was so bizarre and pointless.  It was like they saw '22 Jump Street' and went "Yeah, we can just have them visit him in prison!"  I think the movie would've been a tad better if they had picked three new, well-known actors to replace Aniston, Spacey and Foxx in the film.  I mean, part of the charm of the first one was a the shock of seeing a big star like Foxx in a bit comedic role, a mostly-dramatic actor like Spacey in a comedy, and wholesome Jennifer Aniston playing a potty mouth.  Realistically, you could do the same thing with, say, Liam Neeson in the Spacey role, Colin Firth in the Foxx role, and, say, Kerry Washington in the Aniston role.  You'd get the same shock factor at seeing unexpected actors doing unexpected things (Colin Firth in corn rows being a badass criminal would be must-see).

Then you're deprived of seeing Jennifer Aniston in that role and then no one wins.

I just watched "Liberal Arts" with Josh Radnor and Elizabeth Olsen and just have one question,

Does Josh Radnor ALWAYS have to play some variation of Ted Mosby? That whole movie just seemed like Ted Mosby went back to Wesleyan after The Mother died and hit on some 19 year old sophomore. 

I just watched "Liberal Arts" with Josh Radnor and Elizabeth Olsen and just have one question,

Does Josh Radnor ALWAYS have to play some variation of Ted Mosby? That whole movie just seemed like Ted Mosby went back to Wesleyan after The Mother died and hit on some 19 year old sophomore.

In the Cleveland area where Radnor is from, there was some controversy surrounding Liberal Arts, as apparently the plot is very similar to the real life of one of his childhood friends, and Radnor did not give any credit or ask if he could use his friends life to make a film.

On a whim, I watched 48 Hours (1982) over the weekend.  Damn, it was not as good as I remember, but give me a break; I haven't seen it since I was probably 10 years old.  It was actually quite boring and unfunny.  And holy shit, the casual racism of Nick Nolte's character, who was supposed to be the protagonist and the guy you're rooting for, is  fucking insane looking at it in 2015.  It sure was a different time, man.  At one point, in the span of maybe a minute, he refers to Eddie Murphy's character as a "charcoal-colored loser" and then straight up calls him a "spear chucker."  Did we think that was funny back then or just accept that that's how people talked?  Was this supposed to be some Archie Bunker, lovable bigot shit?  God damn, it's mind blowing.  Yeah, there is some turnabout as Eddie schools an entire redneck bar, but it makes no sense why the same character didn't shut down Nolte's bullshit sooner. 

On the plus side, we got some good bit part, "hey it's that guy!" players in there.  A Warriors reunion of James Remar and David Patrick Kelly in key roles (of course, since Walter Hill directed both), as well as Brion James (Leon from Blade Runner), Sonny Landham ("Indian Dude" from Predator), and a very young Jonathan Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).  And Annette O'Toole in all her 80s hotness.

Still, recommendation to avoid except for historical curiosity.  Show it to your kids when they start wondering about how fucked up things were back in the day.

CCebqKnUAAElbeN.jpg

A high school senior instigates a social pecking order revolution after finding out that she has been labeled the DUFF - Designated Ugly Fat Friend - by her prettier, more popular counterparts.

Did the people making the movie notice that the girl playing the "ugly fat friend", well, isn't? 

Presumably this was produced by the same people who didn't notice that in she's all that the lead actress is clearly a stunning fashion model even before she takes off glasses.

Jesus, Reed.  :lol:

I saw The DUFF with my kid and it wasn't entirely horrible.  Some parts are actually pretty cute.  The gist of the story itself is pretty much Pygmalion for teens.

DUFF is the generic term given for the least attractive kid that is in a clique with much more attractive / popular friends.  This isn't always an "I keep her around so that I look prettier by comparison," sort of thing.  Not all DUFFs are fat or ugly but sometimes the DUFF is socially awkward or something.

Sometimes the DUFF is part and parcel of the clique and if you want action from the hot friend, the only way you'll get it is to find someone to appease the DUFF.

The moral of the movie itself is that people should define themselves instead of allowing themselves to be defined by the labels that society brands into their foreheads.   A noble enough sentiment but kids will only pay attention to stuff that has the occasional bit of toilet humor to amuse them, so take that for what it is worth.

On a whim, I watched 48 Hours (1982) over the weekend.  Damn, it was not as good as I remember, but give me a break; I haven't seen it since I was probably 10 years old.  It was actually quite boring and unfunny.  And holy shit, the casual racism of Nick Nolte's character, who was supposed to be the protagonist and the guy you're rooting for, is  fucking insane looking at it in 2015.  It sure was a different time, man.  At one point, in the span of maybe a minute, he refers to Eddie Murphy's character as a "charcoal-colored loser" and then straight up calls him a "spear chucker."  Did we think that was funny back then or just accept that that's how people talked?  Was this supposed to be some Archie Bunker, lovable bigot shit?  God damn, it's mind blowing.  Yeah, there is some turnabout as Eddie schools an entire redneck bar, but it makes no sense why the same character didn't shut down Nolte's bullshit sooner. 

On the plus side, we got some good bit part, "hey it's that guy!" players in there.  A Warriors reunion of James Remar and David Patrick Kelly in key roles (of course, since Walter Hill directed both), as well as Brion James (Leon from Blade Runner), Sonny Landham ("Indian Dude" from Predator), and a very young Jonathan Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).  And Annette O'Toole in all her 80s hotness.

Still, recommendation to avoid except for historical curiosity.  Show it to your kids when they start wondering about how fucked up things were back in the day.

That's how I felt watching it recently. You sit there and it's like "what the fuck did he just say? Seriously?" For my money the black/white buddy cop thing is done way better in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and they take race on properly. 

Full disclosure, I cannot have a TV playing and pass by Die Hard With A Vengeance and not stop to watch the whole thing.