DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

I actually had a tech at the apple store today quizzing me about the 8+. Of course, he also asked why i did not have an iphone. Diversity, i told him. I like having an android phone, ipad and PC. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my laptop about 2 and a half years ago. A week and a half ago, I sent it in for repair for a second time. The first time was an issue where one of the hinges on the screen broke. Fortunately it was under warranty so they repaired it for free. This time the issue was that the screen flickers/eventually goes black whenever you move the physical lid, causing me to have to put the device to sleep in order to get it to work again. It happened frequently enough that it became difficult to do any type of extended task on it.

I bought the laptop online, had it custom built on Xotic PC for about $1,200. It's legitimately a great device (when not in for repair) in terms of performance since my C drive is a solid state and my D drive is a 7200 rpm hard drive. However, with my computer no longer under warranty, the repair bill is $400. I firmly believe that based on performance alone, my computer still has several years (at least) of strong performance ahead. But with this now being the second time that it's in need of fixing, my fear is that this could become a recurring issue. Do you guys think its worth the $400 to fix it up and keep going or do you think I should take that money and apply it to a new machine?

How long ago did the hinge break?  If it happened not long before the screen flickering then there could be cause for concern.  Considering you sunk all that money into the laptop in the first place it'd be a shame to have to spend another $400 on it.  Have you checked other shops to see if it's cheaper elsewhere?  Another thing to do is do a full system diagnostics to see if there's anything else that could cause trouble down the line.  If there's even one test result that isn't up to par then I'd consider another laptop.  If you get another hopefully you're able to sell it at a decent price.  If it's not cheaper and diagnostics doesn't pick up anything else then I'd just get the screen repaired.

Well like a bozo, I already sent the laptop in because I thought the problem was that the LCD cable was loose. Based on my Google research, that seemed to be the culprit, so I didn't think the repair cost would be as high as $400. I can't run a diagnostic but I imagine everything else is still good on the unit. The hinge broke a while ago, I'd say at least a year ago if not longer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an iPhone 7+. Over the past couple of years I've went from the Nexus 6 to the iPhone 6S+ (first iPhone), to the Galaxy S7 Edge (first Android phone without stock or mostly stock software) to the iPhone 7+ I have now.

I like it. iMessage is great since almost everyone I text with is also an iPhone user. The camera is good/reliable if not quite the Pixel. The battery life is better than any Android phone I've used (although I miss having quick charging capability for when my battery is running low). The software is what it is... you are able to switch out your default keyboard now. You can't necessarily make Google Maps the default maps app universally but certain other apps that would open a maps app will often default to GMaps. I like iOS 10.

I don't know if I love it to the point where I could really passionately sell it to you over whatever you're currently using. In fact, if I didn't know as many people with iPhones as I do, I'd consider switching to the Pixel. My dad has a Pixel and I'm always impressed with it whenever I use it because the software is definitely the smoothest I've ever used on an Android device and the camera is also the best I've used on probably any smartphone ever.

Sorry for the delayed response. My computer has been in the shop for a bit so I haven't been checking a lot of stuff aside from social media. Did you ever wind up coming to a decision?

• 2 months later...

Recommendations on big Android tablets, as in 10" or larger?  Preferably 12" or bigger?  My Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 seems to be nearing the end of its life* and I'm wondering about possible replacements.

* - It still works fine but online performance is terrible.  There's a long pause anytime it has to make an online connection to anything before it starts working.  So you'll put in a web site, wait 3-5 seconds, sometimes a lot longer, then it'll work.  Way more painful than it sounds.

On 9/3/2017 at 2:34 AM, Tabe said:

Recommendations on big Android tablets, as in 10" or larger?  Preferably 12" or bigger?  My Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 seems to be nearing the end of its life* and I'm wondering about possible replacements.

* - It still works fine but online performance is terrible.  There's a long pause anytime it has to make an online connection to anything before it starts working.  So you'll put in a web site, wait 3-5 seconds, sometimes a lot longer, then it'll work.  Way more painful than it sounds.

The Android tablet market is pretty sparse especially when you get over 8". The ASUS ZenPad 3 S 10 is probably the best reviewed tablet out there at the moment and recently got Nougat. It also looks like it'll probably get Oreo. The Lenovo Yoga Tablet 4 Pro 10" looks good whenever it comes out but Lenovo is spotty with release dates and long term support.

If you're looking for anything above 10", I would probably recommend looking at the 2-in-1 Chromebook market. They end up heavier than a tablet and a little bit more awkward than a regular tablet but with Android app support performance is pretty smooth. I'm actually surprised how often I rather take my Samsung Chromebook Pro with me than my Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 10"(fine for reading but pretty horrible for anything memory intensive.)

Though something to look into if you're not worried about warranty or anything like that is homebrew development for your Tab Pro 12.2. I was using my ASUS Transformer TF101 for a good four years because open source development was keeping it running smoothly. 

@blitzkrieg - Thank you for the response.  That Samsung actually looks like exactly what I'd want - a 12.3" tablet with solid performance and Android support.  Do you find it awkward to have the keyboard facing down when you're in tablet mode?  Ever worry about damaging the keys or whatever?  I imagine I'd use one in tablet mode roughly 98% of the time so that's a big consideration.

Oh, I don't care about warranty - I'm way past that with Tab Pro anyway.  I just don't know what could be causing the issue I'm having, short of a hardware issue.  It's just bizarre - everything works, there's just a long lag before it "connects" to whatever it's trying to retrieve data from.  I've tried deleting and re-adding wifi networks, I've hard reset the machine and reloaded stuff, you name it.  No change.

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

@blitzkrieg - Thank you for the response.  That Samsung actually looks like exactly what I'd want - a 12.3" tablet with solid performance and Android support.  Do you find it awkward to have the keyboard facing down when you're in tablet mode?  Ever worry about damaging the keys or whatever?  I imagine I'd use one in tablet mode roughly 98% of the time so that's a big consideration.

I honestly didn't expect tablet mode to replace my 10" tablet completely but it's spent most of the time just plugged in charging. The keys don't stick out that much so while you still notice them if your fingers brush against them, it's not annoying or bothersome. The keys actually are probably slightly lower than the sides of keyboard area so even in landscape mode I find my fingers more resting on top of the keys than pressing down on them. I had to order the Pro but the Plus version(same build, different processor) seems to be pretty common so I'd imagine places like BestBuy probably have a floor model if you want to get an idea for the feel.

• Like 1

I mentioned it in the Destiny 2 thread, but my Onkyo receiver finally died. It lived for 7 or 8 years, which seems long going by the forum posts I read. The main culprit is that there are no fans built into the receiver case and the DST chip doesn't have any cooling. That chip is prone to overheating and dying. The result is that video still passes through, but there's no audio.

Off to Best Buy I went. I was all set to just buy another Onkyo or Yamaha receiver since my basement is still wired for surround sound. Then I came across a 5.1 soundbar set by Vizio. There's a soundbar where the first 3 channels are located, a subwoofer that's wireless, and two rear speakers that plug into the subwoofer.

I was tired of always messing with the subwoofer and just wanted something that would work so I went with the Vizio. The guy at Best Buy said I had 15 days to try it out and if I didn't like it I could just go right back to a receiver. Man, this Vizio set is awesome. Amazing sound right away. I test drove it by playing some Destiny 2. I got more of a surround sound feel from this new set than I ever did with all of my speakers hooked up to the Onkyo receiver. Even better is that Chromecast is built into the sound bar. The whole thing was about $20 more than the receiver too.

My only complaint is that there's only 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output. I also miss some of the finer controls I had with my receiver. Sometimes I think that I didn't get the best results because I'm a novice when it comes to putting a home theater together. Other times I thought the receiver just sucked and maybe a new receiver would crank out better sound.

I'm going to keep giving this Vizio set a run for it's money, but so far so good.

Can't believe people complained about the price of the Nintendo Switch but people will pay $900 for a new iPhone. Jesus Christ. Sure you can finance it through them but you're still paying that much.

Course I have a $60 phone and a $30 a month plan so I'm not the target audience, but that just seems crazy for a cell phone.

You gotta be shitting me. The iPhone X is $1,000 and the features they pimp consist of Face ID (something that has been around for awhile on Samsung phones and works flawlessly on my S8+), fancy emojis, a bezeless display (again, something Samsung phones have had for awhile now), and the requisite better camera. And I'm sitting here reading a couple live blogs of the event where they're blowing their loads over such revolutionary features that have been around for years.

It's been awhile since I followed a new Apple device unveiling, but seriously, is this it? Kinda same-ish engineering and a dated feature set and tech websites lose their minds over it? Not only that, but is this seriously all Apple is now? There was hardly anything innovative and I can't see how the X is worth it.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 10:33 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Can't believe people complained about the price of the Nintendo Switch but people will pay $900 for a new iPhone. Jesus Christ. Sure you can finance it through them but you're still paying that much.

Course I have a $60 phone and a $30 a month plan so I'm not the target audience, but that just seems crazy for a cell phone.

I was happy I waited to pay retail for the switch. It's been fine so far but I don't know if it would be worth the extra 100 or so I would have paid on Amazon prime. Of course, I've only used it portably and still not hooked it up to the tv. 

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was happy I waited to pay retail for the switch. It's been fine so far but I don't know if it would be worth the extra 100 or so I would have paid on Amazon prime. Of course, I've only used it portably and still not hooked it up to the tv. 

I was just using that as an example, same could be said for most forms of technology. I just find something like the Switch more "special" than a cell phone that does the same basic things as the last version, just slightly faster with a few new tricks to justify paying $900 for it. Hell on my $60 cell phone I get great sound quality, can text, can play games, and watch movies. I admit it doesn't have the quality/speed/size of an iPhone but I don't think its enough of a jump to justify paying 1,500% more for it.

On 9/3/2017 at 2:34 AM, Tabe said:

Are you looking high-end like it was, or just newer?

Cause if it's the former, the only real high end large Android tablets I know of are the Tab S3 (9.7”, and basically an exact iPad clone physically) and the Pixel C (10.2", getting a bit long in the tooth but quite a bit newer than yours)

If you just want to browse and watch movies, Wal-Mart has a sub $200 12.2" with detachable keyboard that would probably work for a bit.

The Galaxy Tab A is 10.1" I think and mid-range

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And here I just remembered the Samsung Galaxy View from like a year and half ago. Mid-tier specs, 18.4"(!) screen.

As I recall, reviews were not great on that one.