DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

I've been told by others to take my Sprint bill into AT&T or T-Mobile and tell them to get me to switch by beating how much I'm paying Sprint. I was wondering how much you guys pay for your plans. I have a 10 GB plan with three lines that runs $175 a month. It should be $145 a month, but the Sprint store messed up setting up my account and so a $30 discount isn't getting included with each bill unless I spend hours each month talking to customer service. Anyway, two of the lines are for a Note 5 and a LG G3, the other is for my mom's dumb flip phone. Talk and text are both unlimited. The other people I've spoken to about this that don't have Verizon say I'm paying way too much, while the people I know with Verizon wind up paying more than me.

I have AT&T and my family plan (for 3 lines of various Iphones is $210 a month).

HOWEVER - the reason for this is because my wife and I each got new Iphone 6s at the time of starting this and AT&T will either get you at the front end or the back end so we are paying for our phones via that wacky ATT Pay system. Long story short - at the end of the year our plan is gonna drop roughly $50 a money.

So if I had bought our phones out right - my monthly  bill would be around $160 a month (3 lines, unlimited text and talk, 15GB of data that rolls over)

I pay anywhere from $160-$170 a month with Verizon.  Since my wife and I are under the same plan they had us get 6GB data with unlimited call/text.  And like Rippa we're still paying for the phone with each bill.  I'm considering using the tax money to pay the remainder of it just so we can lessen the amount we owe each month.  But at this point I'm going to look for other carriers that could get what we need and cheaper.

That's the other thing about Sprint that bugs me. I also get a 19% discount through my employer. Years ago, when I had AT&T, it was an actual 19% discount. With Sprint, it's much less than that, even though they say it's 19%. Sprint is by far the worst company I've dealt with. Worse than Comcast, which is saying a ton. For as much as people shit on Comcast, I have had to call them twice in the last year or more and each time was because my connection speed dropped. Each call took a few minutes for them to reset my modem. Perhaps the trick with them though, is that I only have my internet service through them.

I'm just curious, do you guys that have high data caps actually use it? I I only have I think 1 GB with my plan but I never get close to it, as 99% of my life I am somewhere that I sign into WiFi (home or work). I mean I don't stream much anyway but if I did, it wouldn't use my data. I would think it would be a very small percentage of people that actually need high cap or "unlimited" data.

I've worked at home a lot lately, so my data usage is lower now. When I would go into the office almost every day, I think I would hit around 5 gb a month. My office only has WiFi for people traveling to the office from other places or other people visiting that may need WiFi. The only way I could connect to WiFi is if I turned my device into one for business use, which I don't want to do. 

The guy at AT&T and I were talking once and he basically said really the only people who get up near their caps are the ones who streaming movies/tv constantly who obviously aren't connecting to Wifi (so definitely travelers for one)

I think I came close to my cap once and it turned out I had accidentally turned wifi off near the beginning of the month.  Most of the time I'm rolling over at least 4GB.

Weirdly, my plan only provided 3GB but AT&T randomly bumped it to 6GB a couple months into my plan for no apparent reason.  I have been a customer for like 10 years so maybe it was a 'thanks for sticking around' present.

I'm on Google's "Project fi" and it connects to any "trusted" wifi network in Google's db automatically, so while last month I used like 6GB of wifi data, I only used .75GB of cellular data, which means that I got a rebate of $34 on my bill, bringing it down to $26 for the month.  I love it.

We never really got close to 6GB.  Though with Pokemon Go and my wife using it a lot it has gotten closer than before.  When I was streaming the Olympics on the NBC app we had one month where it did go over.  But if I can help it I just stick with WiFi.  With Verizon now going Unlimited I'm going to see if it's a viable option for our bills.  I have my doubts but am hoping for the best.

Once I used over 6 gb and now I'm recalling that an update on my Note 5 made it so that I couldn't stay connected to wifi, or rather, I would be connected to wifi, but I wouldn't be connected to the internet. I didn't have the time to wipe my phone and do a factory reset, so I wound up using 4g for close to a full month.

My girlfriend uses a fair amount of data as well and that's because the hospital she works at frowns upon nurses using wifi. That part is weird because a friend of mine works at the same hospital as a pharma tech and they don't have the same restriction. It just makes me think of my own office where the allowance of wifi use is seemingly arbitrary.

17 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

I'm on Google's "Project fi" and it connects to any "trusted" wifi network in Google's db automatically, so while last month I used like 6GB of wifi data, I only used .75GB of cellular data, which means that I got a rebate of $34 on my bill, bringing it down to $26 for the month.  I love it.

So I did some reading up on Project Fi and this sounds intriguing. I can't find any information for the wifi networks they've partnered with though. Is there a place to look and see just how many networks are in their database in a given area?

An unofficial response:

Google does not keep a database of pre-verified Wi-Fi Assistant compatible hotspots.  Each Fi phone dynamically checks unsecured Wi-Fi networks nearby when not already connected via Wi-Fi.  If an open Wi-Fi hotspot is found with adequate signal strength, direct internet access, no captive portal or TOS acceptance page, reasonable ping time, and reasonable bandwidth, then Wi-Fi Assistant will use the hotspot to establish a VPN connection to Google's servers.  This is completely dynamic and a hotspot that is judged usable on one occasion may be ignored the next for any number of transient reasons such as slower access due to other users' activity on the hotspot.  Also, if you manually connect to a hostpot then Android remembers it and will natively reconnect to it bypassing the Wi-Fi Assistant mechanism and the possibility of establishing an automatic VPN connection.

Basically, there's enough wifi hotspots around almost every city that you're going to be ok.  The downside is that the cellular network switching feature of Project fi is only available on Pixels and the latest Nexus phones, and I *think* you can only activate using those phones.

Most places around here require you to click an accept button on a TOS page or you have to enter in a password. From what you posted, it sounds like you won't be going through their VPN, but you'll still be using wifi, so it's a wash then?

Pretty much, anything that has a TOS/password screen still pops up a "do you want to connect to this network?" notification.  The verified stuff is for security purposes if that bugs you, but my Pixel finds a lot more *verified* outlets than my Samsung phones ever found wifi hotspots at all.

• 2 months later...

If you've held an S7 or S6 in your hands, it feels similar.  It's light and comfy in your hand. 

For being such a big phone, it is shockingly nice to hold.   The Bixby button is annoying since it's essentially useless right now.  Otherwise, it's an amazing phone. 

I'm tempted to upgrade from my Note 5 to the S8+, but I'm waiting to see what the Note 8 is going to be first. I do like that the S8+ isn't as wide because while my hands are big, it still feels uncomfortable using the Note 5 one-handed.

• 2 weeks later...