DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I don't own a Note 7, but what a situation. Most recalls I ignore, like my vehicle probably has eight recalls on it but I figure each one happened to just one person so I should be fine. But the phone catching fire seems to be a more frequent occurrence (still statistically very small of course), if I had one it would certainly be turned off. Makes you wonder how something like that gets through testing and mass production.

The one video I watched seems to believe it has to do with impurities in the lithium used in the batteries. So in testing, it's not going to explode. It may never explode. When you have so many devices out in the world though, you're increasingly the likelihood in which there is a fault/reaction with the lithium. 

I can't find the video now, but it's crazy. As an example to how lithium reacts if some trace metal is in the lithium brick, he unwraps the lithium battery. It just looks like a black bar of putty. He takes metal tweezers and pokes them into the lithium. Nothing happens at first. He slightly twists the tweezers and the point where the tweezers touches the lithium sparks or flares up. The lithium then bursts into flames.

• 3 weeks later...

So replacement Note 7s are exploding now. AT&T and T-Mobile have discontinued sales. I suspect this gets worse before it gets better.

I think I'm all set for Samsung. I'm an Android devotee and I've usually avoided them anyway but this kinda cinches it.

Had a few hundred bucks in gift cards at Amazon so I decided to replace my desktop PC, which has acted like it's a week from dying for awhile now. Spent a lot of time finding a good configuration and decided to take a chance on one from Skytech that had no reviews. Significantly better configuration than other systems in the same price range. Got  it Thursday, just four days after ordering and, so far, couldn't be happier. Here's the config:

AMD FX-8350

Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

120 gig SSD

1 TB HD

8 gig RAM

$849

I dropped in another 8 gigs for 40 bucks, too. 

Not really looking to game on it much but will play some. Tried Doom on it last night and it locked at 60 fps on ultra so, yeah, that works. Side note: Doom is a great-looking game. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, because I'm pathological, I feel the need to upgrade my phone every year.

This week, I moved back to current flagship status. My LG V20 was delivered yesterday. Today it began life as my daily driver. Took it off the charger at about 10:20 this morning. Probably have had 4.5 hours of screen on time. Battery is still at 32%.

I'm in love.

• Like 1

Lamenting the deaths of

- The 11 inch Macbook Air.  It was perfect. I'm typing on one now. It's the best piece of tech. I've ever owned.  I carry it around in a tiny little shoulder bag like a proper Euro creep and I love it. And they killed it.

- The magsafe charger.  It was like one of the best things ever. I have a bunch of them from various Mac laptops I've owned and they all work with what I've got now. It's such a great idea I can't fathom why anyone who owns the patent would just throw it away.

- Me knowing that my next computer will be another macbook.  I could have lived the rest of my life with incremental 11 inch macbook air upgrades every three or four years.  I don't get it.  When this air falls apart some day...I'm not going to spend an extra $800 to replace it with the next comparable thing (the 12 inch macbook). I'm highly invested in the Mac software world and it's like they're putting me on break-up notice.  I just can't justify paying $1600 to replace something that cost me $800 two years ago.

God I can't go back to windows.

On 10/26/2016 at 6:12 PM, Brian Fowler said:

This week, I moved back to current flagship status. My LG V20 was delivered yesterday. Today it began life as my daily driver. Took it off the charger at about 10:20 this morning. Probably have had 4.5 hours of screen on time. Battery is still at 32%.

I'm in love.

Good to hear. I have the v10 and love it . Was looking to get the v20 real soon . 

On 10/26/2016 at 9:12 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm in love.

I understand. From October 2015-current, I've gone from a Nexus 6, to an iPhone 6S+, to a Galaxy S7 Edge, and back to my iPhone 6S+ until I got the iPhone 7+ on launch day a few weeks ago. Think I've settled in with iOS though so this should last me until next year's iPhone 8+ or whatever it'll be called.

Well, I feel better now.

I've just gone since 2013 from the LG Optimus G, to the G3, to the Nexus 6, and now the V20. Come fall I just get wanderlust, but phone related.

If I'm smart, I actually stick with this for two years, but check with me around October.

• 1 month later...

So this Verizon deal that starts tomorrow.  Hot damn.  I'm still on an iPhone 5 because I can't stomach the thought of dumping $5-700 on something I've gotten used to as just a convenience.  But I guess now I can grab a Pixel, iPhone 7, or Galaxy S7 for $200.

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy mainly so I can play around with VR Gear.  Which will cost me a lot less than buying a PS4 and their headset and will probably be more enjoyable.

12 hours ago, piranesi said:

So this Verizon deal that starts tomorrow.  Hot damn.  I'm still on an iPhone 5 because I can't stomach the thought of dumping $5-700 on something I've gotten used to as just a convenience.  But I guess now I can grab a Pixel, iPhone 7, or Galaxy S7 for $200.

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy mainly so I can play around with VR Gear.  Which will cost me a lot less than buying a PS4 and their headset and will probably be more enjoyable.

I just got my dad a Pixel for his birthday a few days ago and if you want an Android, I highly suggest that. I had a GS7 for a bit but soured on it pretty quick. The Pixel is really nice. The software experience is easily the best and most responsive I've ever seen on an Android device. The camera is also tremendous and at worst is on par with the GS7 and iPhone 7 and in some ways even better. I can't comment to the battery life though.

If you're looking to stay with Apple, I have the iPhone 7+ and really enjoy it. Either way, I'd probably stay away from the GS7. It's not a terrible device but if all things are equal, I think the Pixel or iPhone 7 are easily better options.

• 1 month later...

I liked Playstation Vue more. I subscribed to Sling for the 2015 MLB postseason because I cut the cord and didn't have a way to watch any of the games on TBS. Half the time it worked and the other half it didn't.

Vue was a much better experience. It didn't have the weird hiccups that Sling had, plus Vue had local channels and a quasi-On Demand type service. I think it was priced similarly too.

I used it for a while.  When it first rolled out, it was only one package and you could only use it on one device at a time.  The all channels package is nice since it gives everything, the only issue is depending on the network, the stream can go to shit pretty fast (I always had an issue with the Disney streams dropping to shit quality, and that's what gets the most use.)  Not sure if that was a network issue or a provider issue (I have my assumptions that Verizon was throttling me on Sling when I scaled back my programing package.)

The lack of DVR functions on some channels is blah, not every channel has on-demand functionality.  Also, the Sling Login doesn't work on the mobile/Roku apps for specific networks.  My 3 year old loves him some Disney Jr, and the Roku app has a shit ton on Demand, more than Fios, and the Sling creds don't authenticate the Disney App, so I can't get anything through it.

Also, I'm confused...So for March Madness, can't you stream it for free anyway? I recall going to CBS' website last year to watch the games on one of my monitors if I wasn't at home. Then when I was at home, the antenna picked up any games on broadcast network channels. For anything else, and again, my memory is fuzzy, but I either connected my laptop to the TV or I used the March Madness Roku app.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Also, I'm confused...So for March Madness, can't you stream it for free anyway? I recall going to CBS' website last year to watch the games on one of my monitors if I wasn't at home. Then when I was at home, the antenna picked up any games on broadcast network channels. For anything else, and again, my memory is fuzzy, but I either connected my laptop to the TV or I used the March Madness Roku app.

For MM, typically you have to sign in with your service provider to watch the games online, plus they have some games on TBS/TNN/Court TV/etc. during the early rounds. Which I couldn't do since I don't have any cable at all.  I mean I could always find a way to stream them but I figured since it was a free promo I may as well go legit.

For local channels like CBS you could always go with one of those HD Antenna gimmicks.  My neighbor has one and it's working pretty well for them.

I was going to cut the cord and Sling was a prime candidate for me.  But the lack of DVR for all channels is a deal-breaker.  I've been so used to it that not viewing at a later time is something I'd have a hard time getting used to.  If they do full DVR support at a slightly higher price I'd be all over it.  Or keep the base price and add $5 for DVR across all channels.  I'm sure it'll happen at some point, so for now I'll have to deal with a high cable bill.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For local channels like CBS you could always go with one of those HD Antenna gimmicks.  My neighbor has one and it's working pretty well for them.

I was going to cut the cord and Sling was a prime candidate for me.  But the lack of DVR for all channels is a deal-breaker.  I've been so used to it that not viewing at a later time is something I'd have a hard time getting used to.  If they do full DVR support at a slightly higher price I'd be all over it.  Or keep the base price and add $5 for DVR across all channels.  I'm sure it'll happen at some point, so for now I'll have to deal with a high cable bill.

I do love my HD Antenna. I haven't had cable in about seven years, between the antenna and things like NFL Ticket I don't feel like I missed much. Only live sports on cable in HD has been an issue since I can usually "find" just about anything else I want to watch. But March Madness is always a pain since they have games on cable channels, plus oddly I do miss PTI. I doubt I'll keep it past the two months but if the stream is solid I may pick it back up when football season starts for ESPN related things.