DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Yeah, more expensive than I was hoping but I see why now. It's available on contract from all the major carriers. That's a first for a nexus device. Kinda sucks though.

It's still cheaper than most other phones. I'm going to have to look at whether I want a large phone or not really seriously now because that's a little too much coin for an experiment. I may end up going with a Moto X. It's $150 cheaper.

Nexus 9 starts at 399...

I'm tempted.

Don't pay full price. They're always discounted right after release. Nexus 7 was like 160 within first month some places despite the 200 MSRP.

I'm OK with the screen on my first gen Moto X. I just wish it was 1080p. I know people say 1080 vs. 780 on a screen that size isn't noticeable, but I noticed a difference. Also, it's the AMOLED that allows for stuff like Active Display, so I'm cool with that tech.

I want to see the N6 in person. I don't think the size will bug me but it really is a monster.

I feel like I've heard that there were quality control issues with the OnePlus but I might be wrong.

Has anyone heard of Towelroot?

It seems almost too good to be true, but it's basically a one step rooter for ANY flavor/carrier of Android pre July. I tried it on my "unique" SGH-1337, which previously I had thought to be unrootable (at least easily) and within seconds not only was I rooted, but it didn't even require a restart!

Towelroot.com for the APK

I've never used it myself. I have the Verizon Moto X on 4.4.4 so I think I'm screwed anyway. Granted, I don't have a big desire to root it, but still. Quick Google search shows Towelroot seems to have success on devices where rooting is a little bit easier than on ones where everything is super locked down.

So, I know I said I was tempted by the Nexus 9, but the 4:3 ratio dissuaded me from that.  The biggest use I get out of my 7" slate is media consumption, and not only do I want it in widescreen for watching movies, I also vastly prefer web-browsing and reading in landscape over portrait.  But I definitely want a bigger tablet.

So, with that in mind, I just ordered the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"  When Amazon first rolled out the previous model of the HDX, I mentioned being enamored with everything but the crippled Android.  But my mother bought me the Fire HD 7" for my birthday, and once I realized just how easy sideloading apps onto it is, that stopped being much of a concern.  Given the brilliant specs, my growing comfort with Fire OS, and the still reasonable price, Amazon won me over.

But, when I get my new tablet, I am strongly considering giving a shot to rooting the 7" slate, just to see if I can.  Especially if I can find a pure Lollipop rom to load onto it in a few weeks.

Decided to go ahead and get the Oneplus One.  They're doing a preorder on Monday for one hour so I'm going to order one then.  I don't really feel like running around forums asking people for an invite so it worked out that they're taking orders for an hour that day. 

It's just too good of a deal to not give it a shot and see what it's about.  It has everything I like about stock/vanilla android with benefits of cyanogen underneath.  Plus the specs are at the top of the market also. 

For anyone intersted it's the 64gb black sandstone model that's available for preorder on Monday 10/27 for one hour at 11am. 

I took two pictures with it, alone, where nobody could see me, and not only is it massively impractical, the camera is also pretty shitty. 

Especially considering that the odds are not particularly good that I will encounter too many situations in life where it's necessary I snap a picture that it makes more sense to use the tablet than pull my phone out of my pocket.  Not only is it smaller, but is has ois, a laser focus, 13 mp (instead of 8) and, you know, takes photos that don't look like ass.

I might throw up some comparison shots just for the hell of it later.