DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Anyone else with an iPhone 5 find that the battery now dies incredibly fast and the phone gets hot as hell? My battery life used to be incredible, but now the battery wears out quickly and a 10 minute conversation superheats the phone.

Considering my upgrade for sprint is in next March and I was thinking about switching to the 5, reading that is making me very hesitant now.

I've had one since May and have had pretty good battery life.  I go through and shut off apps periodically...don't know if that makes a difference.  But I'm also not like a "power user" using it for business all day.  The most taxing thing I do is stream music for a few hours a day, and I still have a healthy batt. life at the end of the day.

I've had one since May and have had pretty good battery life.  I go through and shut off apps periodically...don't know if that makes a difference.  But I'm also not like a "power user" using it for business all day.  The most taxing thing I do is stream music for a few hours a day, and I still have a healthy batt. life at the end of the day.

I currently own the 4 and at the most, I'm usually using pandora and occasionally on Instagram. I have Netflix and daily motion on it, but I rarely watch anything on it and just use my iPad for streaming. I also shut off my apps with my text and call icons being constantly left open. I've heard others complain about the battery life of the 5 and have been told repeatedly that I should upgrade to the 4s or wait until next fall when apple unveils the newest phone.

(disclaimer: I work for Sprint. The views expressed in this post are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Sprint Corp, any Sprint vendors, Microsoft, or anyone except Vince Greene)I got assigned the HTC 8XT as the device advocate which means I use it a while, show my colleagues around it, and then get it for free. For all the steps Microsoft has made to improve Windows Phone, the lack of a competent Facebook app or any Google apps at all means this is going to be a rough couple of months. I miss my SGS3 desperately already, after two days.Really is quite a shame, the OS is nice. Aspects of it are far beyond Apple or Android. But when the basic apps are so terrible - or non-existent - it makes it hard to recommend.

I think its easily the best OS out now but the lack of apps and games just make it unusable to me.

I rarely shut off apps on my 5 because everything I've read says that it doesn't matter if you have apps open in the history bar, or whatever it's called when you double click the Home button. My understanding is that shutting them down is akin to wearing one of those magnetic bracelets. It's weird though, since I could listen to a full 2 to 2 1/2 hour podcast on Downcast and it would bring me down from 100 to 90 or 89% battery life. Now it drops it down to 70%. Games and calls are the biggest heat generators. Freaking Candy Crush makes my phone feel like it's about to melt.

Sure you can dude. Nothing to it. I work a job where you can't have camera phones. So one of my coworkers is good at fucking with these phones and he removes cameras from phones all the time. Replaces broken screens and pretty much anything else. You can get a battery online and YouTube the process. Super easy you just have to take your time and keep everything organized.

No, never done that.  I do work on nuclear reactors though.  They're just on submarines and aircraft carriers.  

Ah ok. As for the battery, I don't have time to mess with that. I think I've nailed it down the battery drain issue to a few apps though, one being Mailbox. I like Mailbox about as much as I like the regular Gmail app, so out went Mailbox, but not before I got my free 1gb of Dropbox space. Next was Facebook. Apparently leaving the Facebook app open in the background can really drain your battery. And lastly, if you exit Candy Crush, but don't remove it from the app history, it stays alive and eats away at your battery, so I started making sure I remove that as well. So far, so good.

No, never done that.  I do work on nuclear reactors though.  They're just on submarines and aircraft carriers.  

I'd never heard that nukes couldn't have camera phones. Interesting.

No, never done that. I do work on nuclear reactors though. They're just on submarines and aircraft carriers.

I'd never heard that nukes couldn't have camera phones. Interesting.
Yeah they used to have it where you couldn't have them in the shipyard at all and would do random vehicle inspections. But that was before everyone had camera phones. So now you can have them outside in parking lots and such but not anywhere where "work is being accomplished towards mission goals" which is basically in every building and on the waterfront.

Anyone here on T-Mobile? Because I am taking a long, hard look at switching from AT&T when I get back from vacation next month.

I'm on T-Mobile.  I mostly like it.  Coverage when we first got it was really spotty but has improved a lot in our area.  When we visited Michigan, however, it was awful.  Couldn't make or receive calls, ditto for texts.  While standing right next to a T-Mobile kiosk with a giant "4G LTE!!!!" sign, I had exactly zero coverage.  And this isn't in the middle of nowhere either - this was in Bay City & Saginaw, MI.

Also, if you're on wifi, you can't send or receive multimedia text messages.  That's a bug in their system for some reason.

Interesting. We're most likely doing the unlimited data thing so it wouldn't be an issue, but that's good to know...

I'm on unlimited data as well but have wifi turned on all the time as the wifi in my house (esp. my basement) is a lot more reliable than the 4G from T-Mobile.  And if you're connected to wifi, the multimedia messages simply won't go through.

I'm thinking hard about finally taking the plunge into smartphones (and specifically a phablet) come next year when I get my tax return back.

Definitely looking at the Sprint unlimited plan, because T-Mobile has nothing anywhere near me, and I know that Sprint covers 3G and some 4G in my area, and the unlimited plan from them is cheaper than any capped plan from Verizon or AT&T (HOLY FUCK are AT&T plans fucking expensive compared to just about anyone else) which would eliminate the Xperia Z Ultra, so I'm mostly down to deciding between the Galaxy Note, the HTC One, or the not yet here in the States Galaxy Mega.