DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a WD Black 4TB harddrive, and maybe this is a dumb question. I’ve never needed an external harddrive for a gaming system before, so first time here.

Lets day I move over Spider-Man from my PS4 to the external. I’m in my second playthrough right now - apparently you can’t move save data to the external drive, or something, so will it be like a brand new game, no saves at all, or will it pull my save data from the PS4?

Basically, am I going to lose all my saves and shit for all these games if I transfer everything over to the external drive? I’d hate to boot up a game from the drive and see all my progress has been lost.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

So I bought a WD Black 4TB harddrive, and maybe this is a dumb question. I’ve never needed an external harddrive for a gaming system before, so first time here.

Lets day I move over Spider-Man from my PS4 to the external. I’m in my second playthrough right now - apparently you can’t move save data to the external drive, or something, so will it be like a brand new game, no saves at all, or will it pull my save data from the PS4?

Basically, am I going to lose all my saves and shit for all these games if I transfer everything over to the external drive? I’d hate to boot up a game from the drive and see all my progress has been lost.

No. All it's doing is transfering the game files and assets over to the External HDD.  Your saves and stuff are in a different set of files stored in a different place on the Internal HDD on the console and load separately, and the Game and PS4 know where to find it..  It's because of the way the PS4 handles save files so that it can back them up to the Cloud Storage if you're a PS+ member.  The only issue would be if you moved them between different consoles, (but if you have PS+, your saves back up to a cloud storage site anyway to reDL back to a new console).  But that's actually not much of an issue with the way the PS' XMB locks HDD's to console MAC's.

tl;dr - You won't have any issue at all.   

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This isn't the right place for this but I refuse to find and bump an older tech support note from three years ago and get yelled at by an op. It's more about griping anyway.

Is anyone else on Windows 10 without a SSD dealing with the 100% disk usage slowdown even when you're barely doing anything? It's especially got bad over the last few weeks since one of the last updates. 

I tried a few things (reindexed the search thing, tried going from chrome to firefox, shut off Windows search, and then finally, foolishly, ran chkdsk. int

That hung up at 100% and made my computer completely unbootable. When I tried to go back to a system restore point, they were all magically gone.

And because I'm a moron who kept things on the desktop and only realized he'd lose them after starting the "Restore Windows to Original Setting But Keep your Files" option, I'm actually glad that failed. Now I'm slowly backing everything on said desktop (including a bunch of pictures of the kids not on the cloud anywhere and other things) onto a micro SD card over the span of a couple of days so that I can try the restore again and the factory reset if I have to. 

From what I heard anecdotally there's a good chance I'm going to have to have memory repartitioned or something. For now I have another day or two before the rest of these files (as I had to grab everything from the desktop including some games and not just what I wanted since dell's supportassist OS recovery tool wouldn't let me drill down), to transfer before I do anything else.

And hey, guess what? The 8 year old's relatively new laptop that we got for her to do digital schooling back in march (not the chromebook that school has her using for this year at least) is now suddenly running into that 100% disk usage issue too.

Edited by Matt D

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Is anyone else on Windows 10 without a SSD dealing with the 100% disk usage slowdown even when you're barely doing anything? It's especially got bad over the last few weeks since one of the last updates. 

I have an SSD and I've noticed I'm getting a lot of slow downs even with a high end CPU and lots o ram. Started up a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

You'd think with as much hardware work as I've done over my life/career, I'd remember to check part numbers to make sure the new WiFi NIC I want to put in my laptop to jump to 5 GHz was actually whitelisted for my processor...

So the update isn't exactly positive. 

CHKDSK killed everything so I couldn't get it to boot into windows. I'd just get a blue screen cycle. 

Dell's "Supportassist" recovery program let me, after the second try, get a bunch of my files off safely. Not everything but a bunch. I've run all of the "pre-boot system assessment" tools and nothing seems wrong. I tried a system restore but couldn't find a restore point for some reason. I tried the Windows restore to factory settings and that didn't work. I finally tried the dell restore (which should have wiped all my files in the process) and after two tries it worked but now I can't even get into supportassist anymore. I can still get into the bios but I have no idea what I'm doing there and a few google bits didn't help. I'm running the "thorough test mode" now. It's all very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hey , I just noticed my phone is now getting a 5G signal in Bel Air aka Fake Baltimore. 

Interesting.  I didn't think it'd be here yet but I'll have to check it out.  Of course I need to get a phone that has that which I'm hoping to get at a decent price once holiday sales are in full swing.

• 2 weeks later...

so, i had another iPod (classic/video) die on me. technically, the headphone jack is going bad. i know it can be replaced, and i've done it before, but not sure i wanna go that route.

ideas on good quality high capacity mp3 players? i've got over 100GBs of music that i want to keep portable.

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

so, i had another iPod (classic/video) die on me. technically, the headphone jack is going bad. i know it can be replaced, and i've done it before, but not sure i wanna go that route.

ideas on good quality high capacity mp3 players? i've got over 100GBs of music that i want to keep portable.

Look on Etsy. There are lots of upgraded Ipod Classics on there - better drives, Bluetooth, and so on. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

Look on Etsy. There are lots of upgraded Ipod Classics on there - better drives, Bluetooth, and so on. 

i've gone that route a few times. i'm just concerned, since the iPod Classic has been discontinued for over 5 years already, that these will be failing faster and faster. Haven't looked into it for a while and just wanted to see what kind of other options were out there.

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

i've gone that route a few times. i'm just concerned, since the iPod Classic has been discontinued for over 5 years already, that these will be failing faster and faster. Haven't looked into it for a while and just wanted to see what kind of other options were out there.

Your question intrigued me so I went looking as well and came up with "not much" and "very little".  There are some that take microSD cards up to 128GB but that's about it.  I found another one that was almost $500 as well.

Definitely a concern with the iPod Classics failing.  I'm going to be in the same boat eventually with my current one (which is my 3rd or 4th already).

Reddit discussion: 

Edited by Tabe

• 4 weeks later...

Check your local Walmart if you're in the market for a new tablet. The Galaxy Tab s6 128 GB model, on sale for $400 at Best Buy, is on clearance at some Walmart stores for $154. I got one this morning myself. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m in the market for a new TV. My current TV, a Samsung, has worked (and continues to work) mysteriously well, but it is 14-15 years old and it might be time for an upgrade to a 4K UHD TV during Boxing Week. However, I now know nothing about TVs.

I was looking at this TV (keep in mind Canadian prices): https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-55-4k-uhd-hdr-led-tizen-smart-tv-un55tu7050fxzc-2020-titan-grey/14930258

Looks good to me, but what do I know?

Similarly, this is the UHD player I’m looking at: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-ubpx700-ca/12388689

1 hour ago, Control said:

I’m in the market for a new TV. My current TV, a Samsung, has worked (and continues to work) mysteriously well, but it is 14-15 years old and it might be time for an upgrade to a 4K UHD TV during Boxing Week. However, I now know nothing about TVs.

I was looking at this TV (keep in mind Canadian prices): https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-55-4k-uhd-hdr-led-tizen-smart-tv-un55tu7050fxzc-2020-titan-grey/14930258

Similarly, this is the UHD player I’m looking at: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-ubpx700-ca/12388689

You might want to look at the TCLs. We splurged on one last year and it's worked out quite nicely so far.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Control said:

What you want to do is read slickdeals.net for a couple weeks. There are TV deals on there constantly and they always generate conversation about which ones are good. 

The 

TCL ones are generally liked well, for example. 

• Thanks 1

I have a 55" TCL Series...whatever. It's a Roku TV. I like it a lot. For what is a budget 4k UHD TV, it's surprisingly really good. The only drawback is that Roku would work better as a separate device, but it's easy enough for my wife and daughter to use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I have a 55" TCL Series...whatever. It's a Roku TV. I like it a lot. For what is a budget 4k UHD TV, it's surprisingly really good. The only drawback is that Roku would work better as a separate device, but it's easy enough for my wife and daughter to use. 

I think that’s exactly the tv I got. I already own an AppleTV and will probably just use it for Apps.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

The built-in apps on TVs are always mediocre. Get a standalone! 

Just now, Tabe said:

The built-in apps on TVs are always mediocre. Get a standalone! 

I use the Chromecast or PS5 when it's just me watching TV because I understand the hoops to jump through to make that work. 

The other two just want convenience and just want it to work.

Oh, my one big complaint for my TCL is that the remote sucks. I'm used to my other Roku remotes that work off of wifi and the TV remote we have works off of RF. You have to aim the remote above the soundbar and it's really squishy.