DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

Was driving in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania last Friday afternoon and passed a car with the license plate "KAYFABE".  

I didn't get a good look at the driver.   Anyone want to take credit or know who it was?

I think I know the guy...not me...

People using "SJW" as some sort of derogatory term for those who stand up for what's right can eat a dick.

There's a difference between people who stand up for what's right and people who engage in self-congratulatory indignation and bigotry witchhunts. Look at the people misconstruing odessastep's quote as if it was pro-domestic violence as an example of the latter.

Well sure, but who gets to be the arbiter of which person is one and which is the other?  It's such a strawman.  You're assuming a lot about someone you don't know,  saying, "I think you're a SJW because I doubt you really feel that way!"  You're attributing disingenuous motivation to people because you disagree with them.  It's unfair and demonizes someone for having an opinion contrary to yours.

Let's look at the opposite.  When I hear someone decry "PC," all I can think of is "this is a person who really just wants to be able to say "nigger" in conversation.  But that would be assuming a lot.  Same as when you call someone a "SJW."

• Like 1

I called myself a 'SJW' partially as a joke, and partially to own the label. Obviously, as any right thinking person should, I believe in equality, though I also believe that some people take things too far, on both sides. Sometimes I read something on reddit or whatever, that is clearly a joke, and then feel like the response to it is over the top. Then again, there's plenty of stuff on the internet that attempts to hide real hate behind 'jokes', so it's easy to understand the response.

I agree that most people that have a problem with political correctness just want an excuse to say whatever the hell they want to whoever they want, without consequence.

• Like 5

I call that phenomena "Schrodinger's Douchebag" 

Someone who is only determined to be joking or serious upon the observation of someone taking offense to it.

Okay, that shit is pretty clever.

On another note, if you were going to rank the WWE's aces all-time just based on in-ring work, Cena's no worse than like top two, right? Who is up there? I'm not a '70s guy (except for AWA, which I like a lot every time I see '70s footage), so I don't get Bruno, but based on how I see other people view him he, Austin, and Bret Hart are probably the contenders along with Cena. 

My answer is Steve Austin. Even if injury forced him to become more limited, he was still able to adapt his style to fit both his weakness and the style of the era. When he turned heel, he was able to adapt again and begin working a more technical heel style. Bret is a close 2nd though.

Was Bret ever THE Ace for WWE? I always felt like WWE was spinning it's wheels with those guys until someone like Austin came along because even Vince knew it was foolish to trust Shawn with that role. Bret was never in that Bruno/Hogan/Austin/Cena role of long term leader of the company. Hell Bret's, arguable, most entertaining run was as a heel

I called myself a 'SJW' partially as a joke, and partially to own the label. Obviously, as any right thinking person should, I believe in equality, though I also believe that some people take things too far, on both sides. Sometimes I read something on reddit or whatever, that is clearly a joke, and then feel like the response to it is over the top. Then again, there's plenty of stuff on the internet that attempts to hide real hate behind 'jokes', so it's easy to understand the response.

I agree that most people that have a problem with political correctness just want an excuse to say whatever the hell they want to whoever they want, without consequence.

Where do you fall on Jeremy Renner calling Black Widow a slut?

Big Fresh trying to kill this thread. He's like the Van Helsing of these things. Don't stake it, buddy!

Bret Hart was a reluctantly-pushed Ace, but I think for enough of his run, particularly in 1994-1997, he was the guy. That 1997 run was built around him leading the Hart Foundation and having like three feuds at once at one point (with Austin, 'Taker, and HBK) before its inglorious end. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty amused at how everyone is taking it easy on Sami Zayn injuring himself in the most ridiculous way possible when if it was someone like Big Show or Kane people would be frothing at the mouth about how they are terrible and need to retire. People are STILL making jokes about Kevin Nash tearing his quad by walking across the ring.

• Like 2

Bret was very much THE guy.  Shawn was on his way up, but before he hit it big Bret was all over the place.  Not Hogan over, but still in a respectable spot.  Considering the steroid trial he was the guy WWE and fans wanted out there and it worked.  When Shawn became champ he pretty much took over and it led to what it led to.

As for all-time, I want to say Austin too but feel I'm missing out on older generations.  Austin had tons of mainstream appeal yet had the skills to prove he belonged.  Hard to argue against him.

And goc, the ridiculousness of Sami's injury is not lost on me.  I love the guy but if one has a fucked up shoulder they might want to watch how they fucking wave their arms.

Well yeah cuz it Nash tore his quad by walking. Its not like he has a physically demanding style walking is his big move.

And Zayn hurt his shoulder by...throwing his arms up??

If Kane had injured his shoulder doing the old "flames from the turnbuckles" taunt there would be about 2 extra pages on this thread or the Raw one of people posting the gif and shitting all over him.

• Like 1

Maybe he threw his arms up a little too aggressively it happens. Listen he's an indie darling he can do nothing wrong. Nash did't want to put over Low Ki so fuck him man.

• Like 2

To be fair, he reaggravated a previous issue. This is less akin to Kane or Nash and more like Randy Orton, when he popped his shoulder out doing his RKO taunt.

To be fair, he reaggravated a previous issue. This is less akin to Kane or Nash and more like Randy Orton, when he popped his shoulder out doing his RKO taunt.

That one was hilarious though.

Where do you fall on Jeremy Renner calling Black Widow a slut?

I'm not overly familiar with the incident, but heard he doubled down on it in an interview with Conan.

If he said it to describe the character, then, obviously there's better ways to get the same idea across, but apologize for it and move on. My understanding is he didn't, which creates an issue.

If he was describing Scarlett Johannson (sp?), then it's a much bigger issue.

Not really sure if this is the place for this discussion, and I'm not really thrilled with the feeling that you're looking for contradictions in how I look at things to nitpick, either.

• Like 1