DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

She herself is a huge Austin fan yet anyone who praises Floyd's talent is an asshole and MUST be supportive of domestic violence. It's odd. Also, the primary reason she is in a foul mood is because she wasn't allowed to cover the fight in Vegas. Her media credentials were either revoked or there was a miscommunication, whatever the case she wouldn't be going off on everyone if it wasn't for that. 

• Like 1

I imagine her media credentials were revoked because she has been such a vocal opponent of Mayweather's wifebeating. How else could you explain an ESPN television personality being denied access to the biggest fight of the decade? 

Ok at this point there's more Pitbulls running around than Ronald McDonalds.

And when was TNA looking at Koas I've never heard that story? Did he have a dark match?

We hate Michelle Beadle now? Ugh. Why?

The only person who has voiced a clear dislike of Beadle is Vic. Everyone else has pointed out how inconsistent and problematic Beadle's stance is considering her love of Steve Austin. It shouldn't be a big deal because people are inconsistent in general and if Beadle wants to draw a line in this specific case, who cares, but here we go with the "this board hates women" shit now. 

Note: I don't particularly like Beadle, but everyone at ESPN in general kinda sucks and never rises above mediocrity, so my stance on Beadle is not rooted in misogyny or my mom not loving me or any shit like that, but that ESPN hires people who are irritating. Still, she's not near the worst. Like, I'd take ten Michelle Beadles over one Colin Cowherd, for example. 

If your stance is "fuck Mayweather because he served time for domestic violence"  there's no argument. But attacking people and accusing them of condoning his behavior is completely uncalled for especially considering that she is a big fan of others who have been arrested for the same thing.

• Like 1

Is it possible that she's just not that hardcore into wrestling that she's aware of Austin's past history, with regard to that? It was kept fairly quiet as part of his divorce proceedings, so I don't know that it'd be something you'd get outside of the wrestling bubble.

• Like 1

It did come up again fairly prominently two more times, IIRC: First, after Benoit's murder-suicide, when steroid use was a hot topic, and second, after the Signature Pharmacy incident. I seem to recall Debra Marshall recounting her experiences with DV and suggesting that steroid use was a player in it at least a couple of times on the news show circuit. 

As someone who pays closer attention to this type of stuff, though, it is a fair counter-point that maybe she's never heard about Austin's domestic violence issues. 

We hate Michelle Beadle now? Ugh. Why?

The only person who has voiced a clear dislike of Beadle is Vic. Everyone else has pointed out how inconsistent and problematic Beadle's stance is considering her love of Steve Austin. It shouldn't be a big deal because people are inconsistent in general and if Beadle wants to draw a line in this specific case, who cares, but here we go with the "this board hates women" shit now. 

Note: I don't particularly like Beadle, but everyone at ESPN in general kinda sucks and never rises above mediocrity, so my stance on Beadle is not rooted in misogyny or my mom not loving me or any shit like that, but that ESPN hires people who are irritating. Still, she's not near the worst. Like, I'd take ten Michelle Beadles over one Colin Cowherd, for example. 

I assure you my finding Beadle irritating and my dead mother hating me are two separate issues.

I think he deserved better, but he wasn't the one who lost the most from XPW going down. I think that was Kaos

Thumb down

DdDZSaWk_bigger.jpegTriple HVerified account ‏@TripleH

.@FloydMayweather WOW..... Just WOW. Masterful !!!!! #TMT #TBE #48and0 Congratulations

1:11 AM - 3 May 2015

sdy24x1e_bigger.jpgMichelle BeadleVerified account ‏@MichelleDBeadle

I've loved @WWE for a long time. But @TripleH and his love for a serial abuser is too much. I'm turning in my fan card. #WasFunWhileItLasted

1:34 AM - 3 May 2015

I would back HHH forever if he told Beadle to piss off.

I've been around long enough to know we don't agree on much when it comes to wrestling, but I'd be interested to hear if you simply dislike Kaos, or have a better choice.

On the record for Beadle, I'm pretty much an SJW (subbed to r/srs and everything!), and like Beadle as much as I like any ESPN personality that isn't Max Kellerman, so it's more a case of calling out the hypocrisy of it. It's fine to not like Floyd for his actions, I'm not the biggest fan, but you tarnish the ivory tower you're standing on when you start calling other people out.

I was sorta joking about Messiah, from what I saw Kaos had potential. 

I think the Beadle thing is funny given how much WWE has kissed her ass over the years. The timing is funky with her credentials being pulled. I would have waited a few weeks before saying anything about Mayweather. She was probably frustrated and HHH was a high profile target. 

There's also been a thing going around where she has apparently labeled some black athletes with words that media types use in place of traditional slurs but I do not watch her show or listen to her. Some things that Cowerd has said, however, are at minimum uneducated/bordering on racist.

I decided a long time ago that ESPN wasn't for me. Live games and that's it.

DFA and I were talking on twitter about the fight and the response it's gotten on social media. The issue at the heart of this is that access to social media has made people think that posting your outrage is an acceptable substitute for actual activism. It's so easy now for people to take a stance that doing it has become meaningless. Saying on facebook and twitter that Floyd Mayweather is a bad guy and domestic violence is a scourge on our community is good. Those are facts. But most people think that accountability stops there for many, which doesn't actually advance anything. 

• Like 5

The only (and it is a stretch) saving grace is that Austin has admitted that he was a jerk in the past.  Mayweather is still adamant that all those issues were either overblown or the old Stephen A Smith "they provoked him" method.    If you ask Mayweather if he should have gotten only 90 days he probably would tell you he didn't deserve that.

But yeah if you are not going to watch the WWE because Triple H is a huge star fucker and see dollars signs in Mayweather then you really reaching.  by the logic I shouldn't buy the Network because the vast majority of wrestlers in the 80's and 90's were serious assholes/scumbags at one time

I stumbled onto this on Youtube, WCW Snowbrawl 99 that looks like it aired on MTV. it's so late 90's MTV its great Jimmy Hart, Larry Zbyszko and Rob Zombie are the commentators for this 7 man battle royal at a ski resort. Its the most WCW battle royal ever with the 7 names including: Konnan, Kenny Koas, Disco Inferno, Billy Kidman, Brian Adams and Wrath. It was a fun waste of 20 minutes.

I had no recollection of that until I saw Konnan go over and it came back to me. How did MTV end up running a WCW special? They were heavily into WWF stuff that year, and there's the obvious Viacom synergy.

I had no recollection of that until I saw Konnan go over and it came back to me. How did MTV end up running a WCW special? They were heavily into WWF stuff that year, and there's the obvious Viacom synergy.

February 1999, the WWF was still on USA Network and would be for another year and seven months. The WWF stuff on MTV was in the summer of 1999.

Ok, I thought the Wrestlemania Rage concert was an MTV special too, but i just saw that it was USA. Vince screaming at Kane to dance in that is one of my favorite Mr. McMahon moments.