DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

Wrote a blog post about wrestling. Won't be new information for most of you, but if you wanted to help me and click the link, I'd consider it a favor and will owe you a click later on...

http://sb.gg/Aiqp

Good work, fella! One minor quibble, don't fall for the Wade Barrett bare knuckle fighting thing. He was a recruitment consultant when he started training for wrestling.

I thought I'd seen some youtube footage of it. I can redact it if my mind is playing tricks on me. Very possible. 

He's also said in interviews that he traveled around Europe fighting in underground, Fight Club-style bare knuckle matches.  One of the places was supposedly named "The Wasteland" and he took the name for his finishing move. 

I kinda thought that the fighting was more of a weekend hobby than his job, but I also think the whole thing might be kayfabed to enhance his gimmick.  Anyone know if any of it is true?  But yeah, the stuff about his college degree and working in a lab is true.

If they're really serious about doing the Network specials every few weeks then a Japan show would be pretty neat. I can't believe they wouldn't record a Brock appearance anyway for promotional use.

• Like 1

With New Day interfering in the Smackdown main event this week, and Kofi-Brock rumored, maybe they're setting up New Day as the biggest heels in WWE and they need a team of Brock-Reigns-Ambrose to take them down?! 

Okay, probably not, but it would be kind of cool.

• Like 1

WWE News: Kevin Owens signs new contract

Friday, 29 May 2015 08:46

We have learned that Kevin Owens has signed a WWE main roster contract, and will be making the transition from the NXT brand to the main brand quickly.

He is booked for all Raw television going forward and will be starting on a full house show schedule very soon. He will continue as a character on NXT television for a couple of months to where it's a smooth transition out since he's the group's current champion.

per WON

• Like 2

.. and they picked Lesnar to replace him because the two look so much alike or something?

I meant instead of Kofi, not instead of Lesnar obviously.

It's not impossible to imagine he was supposed to work the Japan tour. Zayn was on the UAE tour, because of his Syrian descent. Neville and Bálor worked during the European tour.

They might have wanted to put him in the best possible match for his home crowd. Just speculation obviously, but Lesnar vs. Kofi in Japan makes very little sense as everyone else pointed out.

WWE News: Kevin Owens signs new contract

Friday, 29 May 2015 08:46

We have learned that Kevin Owens has signed a WWE main roster contract, and will be making the transition from the NXT brand to the main brand quickly.

He is booked for all Raw television going forward and will be starting on a full house show schedule very soon. He will continue as a character on NXT television for a couple of months to where it's a smooth transition out since he's the group's current champion.

per WON

1.) Please put the U.S. Title on Owens this weekend.

2.) Please don't put the NXT title on Finn fucking Bálor.

3.) Please let Owens be a Triple H guy, which explains the push right up to the main roster. 

This all continues to support my contention that Own's gimmick/push is a "look what you could have had" directed at Hero.

If only he hadn't insisted on being paid in pie.

That's the goddamn dream.

Something interesting to think about is the indy names who went through developmental and never amounted to much. This is such a different era. It used to be that very few viewers were watching developmental and success or failure was solely in the hands of creative.

Today, if you come in with a name you are treated liked a  god by the nxt audience and the internet community and it seems like the office is picking up on it.

If a Chris Hero or Colt gets signed during this era, how different is their career trajectory?

If Low Ki is allowed to come up through the ranks as a big deal, does he stick around?

With nxt in its current incarnation, does Aries get signed instead of passed on for tough enough?

• Like 1