DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VII

Dolfan in NYC

That chain match was perfectly fine in the 2015 version of the WWE.  But in any decades that match would have killed the territory in its weakness.   And now it looks like Russev is not only going to lose to Cena FOR THE THIRD TIME but also lose Lana in some after match stuff.   Not a very good day for him

Naomi losing is completely baffling to me.  You turn her heel and give her a new gimmick/look/entrance music and she still loses.   Was the whole purpose of the turn to explain Paige not being in the title match?   Although she probably should lose with those lighted neon shoes she is now wearing.   I fully expect her to skate down the ring on the back of her shoes like the kids under the age of 10 do.

Loved the tag match & LMS matches - the former for being a good fun match and the latter just for Reigns & especially Show bumping around like a couple super heavyweight Jeff Hardys. The rest was...not so good. I never wanna see a Chain Match again if that's the WWE-ized version. Seth did what he could but the main had too much Kane and a dopey ending to enjoy.

Oh yeah, once Lana turns Rusev is totally screwed.

Loved the tag match & LMS matches - the former for being a good fun match and the latter just for Reigns & especially Show bumping around like a couple super heavyweight Jeff Hardys. The rest was...not so good. I never wanna see a Chain Match again if that's the WWE-ized version. Seth did what he could but the main had too much Kane and a dopey ending to enjoy.

Oh yeah, once Lana turns Rusev is totally screwed.

At the end of the day, WWE sells a shitload of NEVER GIVE UP shirts. That trumps everything, and it should.

The tag title match was GREAT. Cesaro and Kidd are really good. New Day (all three of them) are hugely improved now and have turned this previously failed experiment into a success with an already great heel run. Best match probably.

But not far behind is Roman Reigns vs. Big Show. Great match and I was fine with the finish.

Ambrose/Harper was also good for what it was, especially considering the booking. I just wanted to see the two of them tear into each other without getting too cute with the weaponry, though.

Cage match and chain match were both hurt by being cage and chain matches in a PG era.

LMS was a lot of fun and told a hell of a story of Big Show starting out being committed to going plunder-free because HE'S A GIANT and then changing his mind because he felt it was the only way to finish this stubborn SOB off.

I'm sure it hurt like hell, but Reigns is a huge guy who took a picture-perfect, stuntman-quality bump through the two tables. I was more impressed by how good he made the spot look than the spot itself, if that makes sense.

Plus they got the crowd on their side by the end. Which is saying something considering they wanted to shit on both guys at the outset.

• Like 1

I only half watched Reigns/Show looks like I'll need to give it a second look.

It would have been MotN if not for Brass Ring-New Day.

Also, I noticed the ring announcer never said individual names, just NEW DAY.

I smell a Freebird Rule revival coming.

• Like 1

Big Show and Reigns took a lot of big bumps in the match. They both came out looking really tough, too.

I was disappointed that the banned RKO gimmick in the main event had basically no impact on the match until the half-baked finish. The announcers didn't even seem to want to mention it being banned for what seemed like forever. At least Seth didn't have to win with that weak move he did on Raw, I guess.

Big Show and Reigns took a lot of big bumps in the match. They both came out looking really tough, too.

I was disappointed that the banned RKO gimmick in the main event had basically no impact on the match until the half-baked finish. The announcers didn't even seem to want to mention it being banned for what seemed like forever.

There were parts where Cole pointed out that there were points Orton would have used the RKO but I think for the most part they were trying to walk the tightrope between mentioning it and banging viewers over the head with it. I have no beef with that.

The red herrings that weren't the finish were better than the actual finish, so if the match fell flat at the end, that was more the reason.

That said, petulant Kane is my favorite Kane.

I really do hate this time of the year and it's only going to get more and more predictably dull until early/late July. Randy Orton in the main events, Kane and Big Show being the major players, the never ending authority bullshit that's knocking on the Ace's and Eight's door for tediousness. That being said I really enjoyed the tag team match, nice to see the New Day get some shine after everything they've endured with terrible booking and I know people bang on about Cesaro's strength but his knees didn't even tweak when he caught Big E, just an unusual freak of a man. Didn't have a problem with Rusev/Cena, the crowd popped huge for the finish and seemed to be into the match, I know the USA vs. Russia dynamic and Cena being apart of the match always enhances how the crowd reacts but it served it's purpose regardless of the origins of whatever the chain match is, could have done with some color though. I would have had Rusev win and then lose the blow off match next month, y'know, but that's Cena booking, don't care anymore..

NXT special in 3 weeks, though. So not all is bad.

• Like 1

Everything was pretty solid overall. Ambrose/Harper was a fun something different with them driving off and technically having a 45 minute street fight. Tag title match was good stuff. Really enjoyed Nikki/Naomi. Reigns/Big Show was great, had a feeling that would be pretty awesome and they delivered. The over the top chokeslam through two tables looked killer. Thought the main event was pretty good even knowing Orton had zero chance. Loved maybe my favorite spot of the night with Orton unable to do the RKO busting out the Pedigree instead. Crowd seemed decently in to just about everything too which was nice.

I still can't believe that Dolph trusted that Sheamus would actually honor the pre-match stip and kiss his "arse." Turning your back to a heel and giving him free access to low blow you is asking for.........well, a low blow. It fits with Dolph's persona to want to embarrass Sheamus but sometimes you have to take a win and leave. 

Or at the very least bring out someone else for the arse kissing part.

</random thought>

I hope that tomorrow on Raw, we get clips of Ambrose/Harper brawling around famous Chicago landmarks, such as the Family Matters bridge and Wrigley etc.

In a perfect world they'd brawl on a German Parade float with Wayne Newton's "Danke Schoen" playing in the background.

• Like 3

If they were gonna have Rusev lose they should have just went for a goofy, Rusev gets tied up with the chain finish. Or maybe had both of them hit all 4 corners and just have a draw since you're going back to the match next month anyway. I don't think it was hurt by a lack of blood so much as a lack of violence. They barely even used the chain as a weapon or even for any interesting leverage spots. A chain match where no one wraps the chain around their fist and uses it to punch the other dude is bullshit.

• Like 2

The current WWE is way too sanitized for a Russian chain match to work. Triple H of all people should have known that. With that said, I forgot the PPV was on and may check it out later this week.

I think they missed a "social media" opportunity with Ambrose/Harper. They should've had fake Twitter/Instagram/Whatever accounts set up where "fans" on the street caught and were posting 30-60 seconds of cell phone footage of them fighting in the streets for those 45 minutes or so. The @WWE Twitter and Instagram accounts could've been retweeting/reposting these on their official accounts. Wouldn't have to be anything spectacular, just maybe 3 or 4 clips that they could've easily manufactured and put out there. The announcers could've mentioned it on commentary during the Tag Titles match, or put some of the posts on the bottom of the screen that they do. Something little like that could've made them driving off a bit more interesting, as well as pushed their social media accounts, which they're always doing.

• Like 2