DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (5/2/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

CAzA2lnWwAAwCHp.0.jpg

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao
May 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBA Super/WBC/WBO/Ring Magazine Welterweight Championship: Floyd Mayweather © (146) vs. Manny Pacquiao © (145) - Mayweather, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super (Mayweather: second defense)
- WBC (Mayweather: fourth defense)
- WBO (Pacquiao: second defense)
- The Ring Magazine (Mayweather: third defense)

Leo Santa Cruz (124.5) vs. Jose Cayetano (125) - Santa Cruz, DEC (unanimous)
WBO Featherweight Championship: Vasyl Lomachenko © (125.5) vs. Gamalier Rodriguez (126) (third defense) - Lomachenko, KO (right hooks), R9 (0:50)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Christopher Pearson (154) vs. Said El Harrak (154) - Pearson, DEC (unanimous)
Jesse Hart (166) vs. Mike Jimenez (168) - Hart, TKO (referee stoppage), R6 (2:13)
Brad Solomon (146) vs. Adrian Granados (147) - Solomon, DEC (split)

Gate: $71 million+
Buyrate: 4.4 million

Cancelled Fights:
Andrew Tabiti vs. Anthony Caputo Smith - Smith Pulled Due to Medical Reasons

With all the controversy with the boxing organizations, the Ring Magazine title is the one most boxing journalists and followers of the sport go with as the official title of each boxing division.

Ring has had its share of controversies, but it's been known to ignore decisions where shady judging has been apparent. I'm pretty sure they ignored Pacquiao's first loss to Bradley, and another controversial decision before that.

Just a heads up:

From a Swanson Communications press release that came out this morning, it looks like this PPV may only have two undercard fights. I am just assuming that Hart vs. Jimenez (or Pearson/El Harrak) might be on the PPV or serve as a swing bout. The point being there might be a ton of downtime during the broadcast. I expect LSC to get Cayetano out of there quick. Even though Lomachenko is not really a big puncher, Rodriguez might be in for a short night or get stopped late. If you're not fan of UFC pacing, this probably will be way worse than that. So if you need to take piss break or get something to eat, there will be ample time for that. I expect there to be plenty of talking from the commentators and interviews with punch drunk ex-boxers. You can miss that.

I was also going to say that depending on the pre-fight festivities, the main event walkouts would start around a quarter to midnight EST. However, in the past, the tomfoolery with wrapping hands and whatnot has delayed some Pacquiao fights. Fortunately, Freddie Roach doesn't have any other fighters on the PPV card. So don't be surprised if someone is asking the other side to go back and redo the wraps. We're coming off the Maidana bouts that had controversies about gloves.

So if you were going out to see the main event you will be safe at 11?

I am not sure what you're getting at.

Sorry, I mean the main event won't start til after 11 right?  I have no interest sitting and spending money in a bar to watch the 2 crappy fights and an hour of hype of videos. 

Depends on how long the prelims are and what timezone you're in. Traditionally, the main event walkouts happen around 12 am EST. However, those cards also had three undercard fights. This one may only have two. So just to play it safe, I would be there no later than 11 pm EST.

If you get to a bar at 11 expecting to walk in and sit down to watch the fight you've probably got a completely different experience coming than what is in your head.

na its good, its a private club, never more than a few people there for fights.   

Figured with only 2 undercard fights it might be an earlier main event, thats why I was asking. 

Since going back to 10p.m. eastern for PPVs, the UFC always starts the main event walkouts at or around midnight ET. The only time they don't is when every fight goes to a decision on the main card. Even then, it's rarely more than a quarter after midnight.

Boxing is fucking all over the place. Dudes are jogging and doing wind sprints outside the venue so they won't catch a cramp during the fight. You got hands still needing to be wrapped. We got glove disputes. Sometimes, they even find plaster in the gloves. You just never know.

However, I expect the pre-fight festivities to eat up AT LEAST 45 minutes. That's including video montages, anthems, walkouts, and whatever else.

FYI The Mayweather-Pacquiao weigh-in will be on HBO (east) and Showtime (east) at 6 p.m. EST. Also, I'm pretty sure they will break into SportsCenter with coverage.

So I'm probably not watching this fight.  I'm out of town working right now.  I have a roku, a PS4, and am staying in a nice hotel and there's no way for me to pay money to watch this fight.  My only option would be to go to a bar and everywhere around here in Philly is charging a high cover charge which in itself wouldn't be a big deal but everywhere will be packed so you're going to pay a large cover to probably stand shoulder to shoulder with someone and barely see the screen.  Biggest fight in forever and the options of paying money to watch it are few. 

So I'm probably not watching this fight.  I'm out of town working right now.  I have a roku, a PS4, and am staying in a nice hotel and there's no way for me to pay money to watch this fight.  My only option would be to go to a bar and everywhere around here in Philly is charging a high cover charge which in itself wouldn't be a big deal but everywhere will be packed so you're going to pay a large cover to probably stand shoulder to shoulder with someone and barely see the screen.  Biggest fight in forever and the options of paying money to watch it are few. 

I think the reason why they didn't put this one in theaters like the last few Mayweather fights is to keep more people at home.

Sure but by eliminating legal ways of watching this fight and actually getting peoples money, they're going to force people into free streams.

I wasn't really arguing that especially if you look at what I said in the Random Boxing Thoughts thread. That was more or less stating a truth as to why it isn't in theaters. Plus, the licensing fee to show the fight would be absurd. I see that it is for bars and other places trying show the fight, and they're going after people who try to circumvent that.

However, if you look at combat sports, they're behind on pushing and promoting that stuff anyway. When you're that in bed with PPV distributors, the only thing you will be pushing is the traditional way of viewing it. The fact that Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is a ginormous event is only reinforcing that, especially when it took so long to figure out a way to divvy up the revenue.